Rig Question - Frenzel Amp as a preamp to a Dr. Z

Rig Question - Frenzel Amp as a preamp to a Dr. Z

Postby JCDUBB » Thu May 17, 2012 11:11 am

I am tweaking my rig and just wanted to see if any one had any opinions. I bought a Dr. Z maz 38 a while back on kind of a whim. While I love the tone i am not getting enough brightness and I don't have an FX loop.

As such I am think about going with a Frenzel SuperVibroverb which Jim Frenzel says will generate all the tones on the Fender AB763 Twin Reverb and a lot more (http://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/page40.php). I am planing to have him install a Line Out
and Level Control. This allows the amp to act as a preamp processor which can be feed into the input jack of another amp (slave/slaving). This will give me a brighter tone (brightness gain/boost) I think, tremelo, and reverb control as well as an FX loop. The plan is below. Any thoughts on this or pedal placement/order? Also, Dr. Z is a 38 Watt amp and Jim is recommending going 50 Watt on the SuperVibroverb. Any thoughts on this would also be appreciated.

As an aside, from a responsiveness and customer service perspective Frenzel has been amazing so far!

Rusch Garcia Tribute (viewtopic.php?f=419&t=12028) --->
Frenzel SuperReverb front end --->
FX loop out --->
Area 51 Wah (all upgrades) --->
ZVEX Fuzz --->
Mutron III --->
MXR Script Distortion+ --->
Micro POG/Mutron Octave Divider --->
MXR Phase 90/Mutron Phaser II --->
MXR Carbon Copy --->
FX Loop In --->
Frenzel SuperReverb Back End & Line Out and Level Control --->
BBE Sonic Stomp --->
Dr. Z Maz-38 (with reverb)

Thanks! JCDubb
JCDUBB
welcome
welcome

Re: Rig Question - Frenzel Amp as a preamp to a Dr. Z

Postby Smolder » Thu May 17, 2012 11:53 am

I love dr z amps, but your not getting much out of the 38 the way your using it it. The real advantage of a dr z is what he does in the pre section. I'd sell it, and buy a power amp that works with your rig.
Smolder

Postby Smolder » Thu May 17, 2012 11:54 am

I love dr z amps, but your not getting much out of the 38 the way your using it it. The real advantage of a dr z is what he does in the pre section. I'd sell it, and buy a power amp that works with your rig.
Smolder

Postby JCDUBB » Thu May 17, 2012 12:00 pm

Smolder - Thanks for the response. Just curious if I am running from the line level into the guitar input of the Dr. Z then wont I get the preamp of the Z as well. I wouldn't be going into the FX return on the Z as is often done when slaving. At least that was what I was hoping for. Again thanks and let me know if I am just totally wrong here.
JCDUBB
welcome
welcome

Return to Jerry Tone