first Jerry caster project

first Jerry caster project

Postby Smolder » Mon May 07, 2012 8:45 pm

Im thinking of building a tiger in a strat. I'm not particularly interested in it looking like a 'dead' guitar... Mostly thinking about a fairly low cost MIM level guitar to try it out (since I don't really know you guys to mooch a trial off of ; ).

I have pickups and the buffer. Not sure about the OBEL. I'm fond of rosewood necks. Any thoughts or advice? Mistakes to easily avoid?
Last edited by Smolder on Thu May 17, 2012 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smolder

Re: Jerry caster advice

Postby Gr8fulGreg » Mon May 07, 2012 10:58 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0RT8Xseo-o

take your time make sure you have all your parts before you start.... and if you get confused listen to the music they play..... and i would go for the OBEL
...More then my maker but he's no friend of mine
Gr8fulGreg
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:28 am

If you get good at using the search function here and use Waldo's site http://www.wald-electronics.com/ you will find all the info you need.

Other than that, if you find you need help, just ask. I would also go for the OBEL. It's just wiring!

Lots of great info here too: viewtopic.php?f=419&t=10893&hilit=jerry+caster
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Smolder » Tue May 08, 2012 6:57 am

Thanks guys. I'll do a bit more studying on the OBEL... it just seems overly complicated, but then I haven't experienced the benefits.

I guess maybe I should have posted this in "guitar building and mods"... oh well.
Smolder

Postby NSP » Tue May 08, 2012 8:02 am

Smolder wrote:Thanks guys. I'll do a bit more studying on the OBEL... it just seems overly complicated, but then I haven't experienced the benefits.

It's really not very complicated from a wiring perspective. The part I was most concerned about was drilling the holes in my PRS for the stereo jack and the toggle switch. I didn't want to screw that up. Start with a small bit and increment up to the finished size.

If you use an envelope filter, you'll want OBEL so it has full output voltage at all times. I think all effects benefit from this, but the envelope filters are very sensitive.
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Smolder » Wed May 16, 2012 9:52 pm

Thanks and an update.

I found a nice HHS body and a tele neck on eBay. Both unfinished. I'm going to use this to learn as much as possible and finishing with nitro will be part of that. I have pretty much all of the electronic and plan on picking up a callaham strat kit for the hardware. It looks like warmoth makes a nice strat HHS pick guard. I found a set of Dimarzio dual sounds here in the garage sale (thanks man).

In the meantime, I read some one mention that maple necks on Les Paul's and the added brightness work well. I have a very nice Agile from the early 2000's with a maple neck. I don't play it much because I haven't found the right pickups. So the light bulb went on. I installed the dual sounds with coil splitting. I almost always put the neck pick up in 180 degrees... In this case it puts the active coil closer to the middle for a specific purpose. I know it wont be just like a middle, but it will be interesting to play with. It's nearly midnight so I wasnt able to crank it, but I think I'll take it to band practice with the twin tommorrow night and try it out.
Smolder

Return to Jerry Tone