To SMS or not to SMS?????

To SMS or not to SMS?????

Postby spacefunkologist » Tue May 01, 2012 7:19 pm

Hey everybody, long time lurker, first post and need some advice. Thanks in advance to everybody for the insane wealth of information that Ive enjoyed as a passer-by for the last couple of years :cool:

My rig thus far is looking like this:

Troy Post Wolf style build (set up strat style w/3 Dimarzio single coils)
SSP 2x12 w/E-120s

I have not purchased a pre or power amp at this point. Im really not in need of anything as powerful as a Twin so I guess ultimately my debate is #1 whether to go with the SMS/Power amp rig or jump on a 72 Pro Reverb( for sale locally) to power the cab, and #2 If I do go SMS, Ive got $300 for a power amp, what do I get??

Just a bit of sonic preference background. Im more of a Europe 72 guy, (I play an old maple neck strat a lot too)

What say you guys?
spacefunkologist
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Re: To SMS or not to SMS?????

Postby tcsned » Tue May 01, 2012 7:35 pm

I've been using a Mosvalve 962 and it's pretty darn good and plenty of volume for gigging. I think I paid less than $150 for it. I'm thinking of trying to score a McIntosh MC2100. I saw an MC50 on EBay, if 50 watts will do for you that might not be a bad avenue.
tcsned

Postby Tony6Strings » Tue May 01, 2012 9:26 pm

I love silverface Pros. I've got one of the ultralinear 70 watt variety, it's by far one of the sweetest amps around... You can't go wrong with an (older, at least SF era) Fender in my experience and opinion, but then again from what I hear you can't really go wrong with the Sarno stuff either. Couldn't say cause I haven't had the pleasure of trying out their stuff. In any case good luck to ya and either way I'm sure your rig is going to sound great.
"Why do the best things always disappear, like Ophelia?"
Tony6Strings
Brent
Brent

Postby zambiland » Tue May 01, 2012 11:59 pm

SMS. No question. I'm a fan of the Pro Reverb, though, if it's one of the old AB763 ones. I just got new Mercury Magnetics transformers for my BF Fenders. Can't wait until I have time for the install. Exams and law school graduation first. God, the soldering iron is such a distraction!
zambiland

Postby jkstraw » Wed May 02, 2012 4:27 am

I am a very happy SMS user - power amp I use is the Rocktron Velocity 300. It is better than average IMHO, not as nice as my MC2105....but it is also a 1u 300watt solution (and a lot cheaper).
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:03 am

I'm also a happy SMS (Jerry mod) user. I had a Rocktron V300 also ($369 new). I love the SMS. It sounds amazing and I didn't have to do the mods etc. to the Twin I have. I sold my V300 for $250 because I needed more watts for some outside gigs and I like to be LOUD, but that was the only reason. I bought a 5 yr old QSC PLX 1202 (1200 total watts $750 new) for $250. I run four E120's, so I'm getting around 300 watts to each speaker. Can be very, very loud! :roll:
There are a lot of power amp options, but as far as pre amps go, the SMS is it! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby TRG » Wed May 02, 2012 5:28 am

SMS.

I've got the Jerry mod with the carbon film resistors and let' just say that I've finally got the sound I've been looking for! I feel it can get both 70's and 80's tone...

I have both an MC250 and MosValvle 962 and the SMS sounds great through both.
TRG
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby TRG » Wed May 02, 2012 5:31 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:I'm also a happy SMS (Jerry mod) user. I had a Rocktron V300 also ($369 new). I love the SMS. It sounds amazing and I didn't have to do the mods etc. to the Twin I have. I sold my V300 for $250 because I needed more watts for some outside gigs and I like to be LOUD, but that was the only reason. I bought a 5 yr old QSC PLX 1202 (1200 total watts $750 new) for $250. I run four E120's, so I'm getting around 300 watts to each speaker. Can be very, very loud! :roll:
There are a lot of power amp options, but as far as pre amps go, the SMS is it! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Wow! Four E120's...nice! :cool:
TRG
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Jon S. » Wed May 02, 2012 5:53 am

hippieguy1954 wrote: I run four E120's :smile: :smile: :smile:

:P :hail:
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:18 am

Jon S., That is hilarious! :lol: You crack me up, man! How did you find the perfect pic so fast? GEEEEEZZZ!

Just so you won't worry about my old back too much, I'm happy to tell you I have a very nice, very well padded hand truck with pneumatic tires and straps. Takes about 30 seconds to strap eack 2x12 cab to it and I don't lift them at all! I even have a small ramp to roll it into the van with. Of course I have to lift the cabs a little once in a while but not much, thank goodness! The rack is still relitively light. The pedal board is pretty light and then there is the suit case of cables etc., guitars don't count!
So, all in all it's not too bad....so far!
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby spacefunkologist » Wed May 02, 2012 7:19 am

Thanks for the replies fellas...looks like I'm gonna order a SMS PreAmp.

I'm starting from scratch here so I can use all the advice you guys got to give.

So SMS Classic JG version....Mosvalve 962 (tryin to save a few $)
Still need cables, a rack space, power conditioner??

Anything else you guys suggest for a newbie like myself?
spacefunkologist
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby strumminsix » Wed May 02, 2012 8:34 am

Both. A nice rack rig is outstanding but don't underestimate the power of a guitar>tuner>amp
strumminsix

Postby Pete B. » Wed May 02, 2012 10:02 am

strumminsix wrote:Both. A nice rack rig is outstanding but don't underestimate the power of a guitar>tuner>amp

I would keep the tuner out of the direct signal path.
I prefer to unplug to tune up.

Having tried both (modded AB763 and SMS), I will go with an SMS one of these days.
Even in a head the amp is too heavy.
I like to break things down into more managable pieces, rather than all in one large rack (although I used to have it all in one 12 space wheeled rack)... too heavy for me nowadays.
Pete B.

Postby tcsned » Wed May 02, 2012 10:23 am

jkstraw wrote:I am a very happy SMS user - power amp I use is the Rocktron Velocity 300. It is better than average IMHO, not as nice as my MC2105....but it is also a 1u 300watt solution (and a lot cheaper).

Not to get on a tangent (well, yes to get on a tangent) what do you think of the 2105? I've been looking for a Mac in that power range and there's a few floating around eBay.
tcsned

Postby NSP » Wed May 02, 2012 10:59 am

Pete B. wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Both. A nice rack rig is outstanding but don't underestimate the power of a guitar>tuner>amp

I would keep the tuner out of the direct signal path.
I prefer to unplug to tune up.

Having tried both (modded AB763 and SMS), I will go with an SMS one of these days.
Even in a head the amp is too heavy.
I like to break things down into more managable pieces, rather than all in one large rack (although I used to have it all in one 12 space wheeled rack)... too heavy for me nowadays.

I too recently purchased Brad's SMS JG and couldn't be happier. Currently using a Carvin Tube100 for power that I got from a fellow RUKinder that's performing nicely...(thanks Jim S). I also love the versatility of being able to scale up or down one's rig with separate pieces. I currently have my HT 2x12 with one K120 and one E120 running off one side of the Carvin and I'm diggin' the combo. My plan is to eventually get a SSP 1x12 cab to either add to or be able to just run a single speaker depending on the situation.

I just added a toggle switch to my OBEL junction box to route the signal between tuner and preamp, very inexpensive and easy to do.
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Next

Return to Jerry Tone