Power amps!

Re: Power amps!

Postby FBlades95 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:07 am

So many people are liking the SMS/RTV300. What's so special about this power amp choice? It seems to me that I could spend way less on a Carvin, because it really doesn't affect the tone, and it's cheaper. Suggestions?
FBlades95
Rosebud
Rosebud

Re: Power amps!

Postby Jon S. » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:22 pm

FBlades95 wrote:So many people are liking the SMS/RTV300. What's so special about this power amp choice? It seems to me that I could spend way less on a Carvin, because it really doesn't affect the tone, and it's cheaper. Suggestions?

The units use different designs and their voices and range/flexibility are certainly different though some may prefer one, others the other.

The RV300 is voiced closer to an actual guitar amp and offers the ability to shape the tone to a relatively greater degree. The Carvin is more hi-fi-ish and allows for relatively less tone shaping from the amp.

As for price:

RV300 new: $369
Carvin DCM200L new: $249

A dollar a day difference over 4 months is to me insignificant in a choice of this nature though of course YMMV.

Last comments. I originally did not like the RV300 for Jerry Tone but mine's grown on me or, might be more accurate, I've grown using it - as described earlier, this was not a plug in and love scenario for me, it required considerable experimenting on my part with the settings on all of my guitar's volume control, the SMS rear pad control and front volume controls, and all of the RV300's controls to learn how to set it right for playing Dead. Re: the Carvin unit, I have not myself owned one but a friend who is a huge Deadhead does and told me he's quite happy running his Fender BF amps' preamps into it.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone