pm'd

john in san diego
rugger
Rosemary
Rosemary

Re: The Brotherhood of the Travelling Adamas & V-Picks

Postby rugger » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:27 am

bump.

Fblades, how's it coming with those picks?

john in san diego
rugger
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby FBlades95 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:03 am

Hey man, I've had a crazy couple of weeks, had a whole bunch of shows/practices/meetings/blah blah other excuses. I'll send them out ASAP. Sorry for the wait :?
FBlades95
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby rugger » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:15 am

No worries! Don't knock yourself out, I'm in no hurry (although we should probably keep this thing moving along).

john in san diego
rugger
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby SNWRS » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:32 am

Tony6Strings wrote:Very cool idea. We had a "Pick it forward" thread on Strat Talk, and it got pretty far, but eventually the pick got to somebody who failed to keep it going. Um.. As for myself, I've found the pick that is perfect for me, after years of searching. I tried Dunlop Jazztones 208, purple Tortex, purple Tortex filed to a point, V picks, never tried an Adamas but I'm sure they've got something to them if Jerry used them... I eventually discovered the Dunlop Jazz iii and I'm pretty sure it's the pick I'll use for the rest of my life.

:smile: :smile: :smile:

+1 Love Jazz III's
SNWRS
tiger
tiger

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:04 am

If I could get a pick that was made of graphite like an Adamas and the exact same shape as a Dunlop Jazz Stubby 3mm, I'd be very happy. the Jazz Stubby is totally inflexible but still tapers to a really fine point without losing the rigidity. It's a great, great pick, super accurate and like playing with a scalpel. But the sound of graphite rocks. That's my dream pick.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby TRG » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:54 am

It's been a few months since I tried the Adamas, but wanted to provide an update.

So back in the Spring when I tried the Adamas I was very intrigued. I've always wanted to try them because I've heard so much about them and wanted to try it simply because Jerry used it and wanted to see how it affected tone. So I tried it back in May, but I thought it was just too thick for me to do anything with. At the time I was using .60MM Dunlop tortex...the pick I've been using forever.

I purchased a Post Wolf over the winter and my feel with the .60MM on that guitar was not working for me. Maybe a combination of a bit higher action, different neck feel, etc...than I was used to. So I decided to switch it up to the Dunlop Tortex .73MM. It was a little bit better, but I didn't feel like I was able to do things smoothly.

So two weeks ago I decided to pick up the Adamas again and spend more time with it. I did a band practice with it and a gig since and am now completely sold on the Adamas. I love the fluidity it allows me and the tonal character that it produces. Needless to say I'm on the Adamas train and will never look back. Already purchased a 12 pack and will most likely be stockpiling more in case they stop producing them.

I can't believe I used a .60MM pick all these years... :lol:
TRG
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby NWPines » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:29 am

Is this dead in the water? I think I was next after rugger, but I'm not sure the picks ever made it to him. I had completely forgotten about this until TRG revived the thread.
NWPines
Brent
Brent

Postby rugger » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:10 am

NWPines wrote:Is this dead in the water? I think I was next after rugger, but I'm not sure the picks ever made it to him. I had completely forgotten about this until TRG revived the thread.

Correct in that they never made it to me...ahem, Mr Blades!

John in San Diego
rugger
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Jon S. » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:37 pm

Oh no! They're not lost, are they?

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby FBlades95 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:17 am

So.. Some good news and bad news.. The picks have been misplaced. I have been gigging around so much lately, I had completely forgot about them :( But, the good news is I have ONE Adamas pick that I picked up whilst out at the Oregon Country Faire. I got a chance to play with some of the the cats from JGB, who were playing there as well. I got to hang out with Dave Herbert a couple of times, and he tossed me one, as I had lost mine. I would be happy to send just the one out, if you'd like. But, it wouldn't be til next week, as I'm heading out to play yet another festival tomorrow! Let me know what y'all want to do, aplologies again and again.
FBlades95
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:30 am

I have a couple of Adamas I could send out.
Pm w/an address and I'll send them this week.
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:50 am

"Will the circle,
Be unbroken?
Bye and bye Lord,
Bye and bye."
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby rugger » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:13 am

Tennessee Jedi,

That's mighty kind of you to offer, but since I was next in line and I have a couple dozen of the reissues, I'll send a couple off to NWPines to keep this going.

PM me your address, NWPines

John in San Diego
rugger
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby NWPines » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:59 pm

John, that's awesome I really appreciate it! I haven't had a chance to play with an Adamas yet, so this is great. I PM'd you my address.
NWPines
Brent
Brent

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone