Haz Labs

Haz Labs

Postby Urblues » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:09 pm

What are your opinions on the Haz labs mutrons? Do you think they are good, bad, or downright nasty? What's the difference from the original?
Urblues
TC
TC

Re: Haz Labs

Postby tcsned » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:38 pm

I think if you do a search there's some good info on this board. I've got a Haz Mutron III and it's worked out great. I had an original back in the 80s and could never get it quite right. I was using a LP and a Boogie so I can't give a good comparison. Those pedals are touchy bastards and can sound great matched with one guitar and like ass with a different guitar.
tcsned

Postby Urblues » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:35 pm

oh cool thanks for the advice. I think that i'm going to get a mutron iii for stuff like jerry but the cheese also uses an E.F. a lot.
Urblues
TC
TC

Postby waldo041 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:05 pm

i'd consider the original Qtron over ther Haz.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Q-Tron-Envelope ... 2ebd77f27d

[ebayitem]200747250301[/ebayitem]

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby JonnyBoy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:32 pm

If you are considering an envelope filter and are not in the market to spend a lot of dough, the Qtron works great and is similar in tone to the Mutron. It works just fine for Jerry tones. technique is a very important part to the EF tone, so its a learning experience to get close to sounding like Jerry with it.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Gr8fulGreg » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:17 am

I had a HAZ for about a month it was the worst.... dont waste your time sounds so fake and weak... just got for the qtron+
...More then my maker but he's no friend of mine
Gr8fulGreg
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby tcsned » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:37 pm

Gr8fulGreg wrote:I had a HAZ for about a month it was the worst.... dont waste your time sounds so fake and weak... just got for the qtron+

As I said, these are all touchy buggers. I got a Q-tron when they first came out and it was ok but always struggled with it. The HAZ worked out better in that setting. It's still working well with a guitar with the OBEL. I wish I hadn't given the Q and could try it out with my new rig.
tcsned

Postby Quarterpounder » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:18 pm

My HAZ seemed more forgiving than my new Qtron+. With the Haz I could plug in a bass or guitar and it sounded great without any tweaking. With the Qtron+ its way more sensitive to dial in. It can rip your head off if you're not careful. Sorry to add confusion, but my own experience seems to differ from the majority. Try them both. They are both easy to resell for little to no loss. Good luck on your journey.
Quarterpounder
tiger
tiger

Postby Urblues » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:34 pm

Thanks I think that I'll try the Q because that is also what Kang uses.
Urblues
TC
TC

Postby hawk900 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:20 am

Oh yeah the q-tron is the sweetest/closest thing you'll get to a vintage Mutron3. Downfall is if you find a vintage one #1 big bucks,#2 you'll need to refurbish it. That's why they sell the refurb kits all over.
Word through the grape vine was one of the original designers after they stopped making them sold the guts description/schem to Electro Harmonics for the qtron. Even the qtron micro(80 bucks) dials in perfect jer except no sweep down which jer only used for Dancin. Even the micro has low pass mid and high. Low is what you want.
I saw a video a couple years back where a guy on youtube gutted both the HAZ and the Vintage and the guy was pointing out cheap IC's that route resistor replacements,etc. To make a long story short he pointed out around 8 to 10 major flaws in the cheaply built HAZ.
I'd rather use a DOD 440 than the HAZ.
As soon as you dial in yourQtron Q knob(sensitivity) based on the strength of your guitar signal and hit that First Low F# or Shakedown explosion you'll go wow instant flashback. ElectroH has been in the game for a long time and is built in USA=Quality#1.
Your gonna want any envelope filter on an fx loop were the volume going in is a steady signal hense you lose you perfect quack if you put after guitars volume knob. A tcp-1(waldo) guitar pre is perfect to fire into it and adjust your signal volume after it.
Back in the day before all this great info and buffers and tcp-1's I used to leave my guitar's vol around 7ish dial in the sensitivity and use a spring less volume pedal after my envelope and before that I only boosted my volume by reaching back and raising it on the amp for a lead. All envelopes are very vol sensitive.
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Urblues » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:33 pm

Yeah I've been using my normal wah for shakedown and its a bitch to keep going back to the down position. Check out the String Cheese incident on youtube and use it pretty well. Just youtube, String Cheese Incident and click on the first video that pops up.
Urblues
TC
TC

Return to Jerry Tone