PD does Europe 72

Place for the rest of the music

PD does Europe 72

Postby playingdead » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:22 pm

We were with just one drummer the other night, so since it happened to be the 40th anniversary of the first show on the Europe 72 tour, we decided to play the setlist from the Empire Pool on 4-7-72.

In honor of the occasion, I mothballed the Walker and the TIger for a stock Fender Custom Shop 65 Strat reissue, and used no effects other than a wah wah pedal on a tune or two. It was a challenge playing a 21-fret Strat with a narrower nut and I didn't have time to tweak anything sonically, just ran it straight up.

Mixing the soundboard was interesting, I did some listening to how some of the 72 Europe boards were mixed ... piano hard right, Garcia occupying the left channel mostly to himself, Weir toward the right-middle, Phil more or less in the middle. Drums had high hat panned hard right, crisp snare far right, toms across middle to the left (floor toms), kick a little left. Makes an interesting little soundscape. No delays, or reverb, etc.

A sample (Playin' in the Band -> Casey Jones to close the first set):

http://playingdead.net/pitbcj.mp3

I wound up using mostly the middle pickup although I did bounce around a little bit here and there. Problem with those Custom Shop reissues is they don't have the 5-way switch so you have to finesse it into the in-between positions.
playingdead

Re: PD does Europe 72

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:19 am

You should have used a '09 Squier standard! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Re: PD does Europe 72

Postby playingdead » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:53 am

Here's the whole show, warts and all. Had some tuning issues with the Strat in a few places. Tremolo wasn't blocked.

http://playingdead.net/pd040712fireflys/
playingdead

Return to Tune Submissions