Jerry amp question

Jerry amp question

Postby Urblues » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:16 pm

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you could make a diagram of jerry's mac going into his speakers and into his twin. I have read everything on wald's site but can't seem to quite get it. thanks.
Urblues
Rosebud
Rosebud

Re: Jerry amp question

Postby waldo041 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:51 pm

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:08 am

Fender twin converted to a preamp->into Macintosh power amp->into jbl e120 cab. His effects were looped before the preamp within his guitar. Beyond that this site has broken down each layer in depth through years of conversation. Buy the ticket and press the search button! Good luck.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Urblues » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:09 am

My god that is beautiful thank you so much. :hail:
Urblues
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:04 pm

Nice map Waldo.

U da man... Where would we be without you???

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:25 pm

..............so if I am reading this correctly each speaker was connected directly to the Mac? Speakers weren't wired together?
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby FretfulDave » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:39 pm

jeffm725 wrote:..............so if I am reading this correctly each speaker was connected directly to the Mac? Speakers weren't wired together?

I was wondering this also. And if it is the case, what is the difference versus the parallel speaker wiring method?

I actually had asked the same of Mr. Egnater for my amp... i.e., it has two 16 ohm speaker outs or you use an 8 ohm speaker out and I hook my two 16ohm 1 x 12 cabs together. I never got a reply, then realized my registration hadn't been done... :oops: :oops: . I am currently running the daisy chain... 8 ohm speaker out to two cabinets connected together.

Anyone play with these configurations? I might just try the dual 16 ohm out next jam. Especially if Jerry did similar 8).

Dave
The river keeps a talkin'
FretfulDave
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:42 pm

From what I always understood they are all wired separately to the amp strip but all wired to the amp to one output. Basically that is where they are all tied together. In this way the amp can still push the other speakers,If one blows, temporarily at the wrong ohm tap though. Once the new speaker is installed it is back to the correct load. If that makes sense. I have 2 speaker ports tied to The one terminal for 4 ohms on the amp. Same idea I guess. It's still series hook up just wired farther away. That is like a speaker wire organizer, all in series still.
JonnyBoy

Postby Smolder » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:48 pm

I'm confused... I thought the two channels from the amp were run to each channel of the Mac, and those channels had separate speakers... A wet bank and the others dry. Otherwise, why not just blend the two signals in the pre and run the Mac as a mono block?
Smolder

Postby waldo041 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:52 pm

jeffm725 wrote:..............so if I am reading this correctly each speaker was connected directly to the Mac? Speakers weren't wired together?

correct, and it was done this way so speaker changes could be done quickly without any hindering of the performance.

JonnyBoy wrote: It's still series hook up just wired farther away. That is like a speaker wire organizer, all in series still.

all but this is correct JB, the wiring is parallel not series.

Smolder wrote:I'm confused... I thought the two channels from the amp were run to each channel of the Mac, and those channels had separate speakers... A wet bank and the others dry. Otherwise, why not just blend the two signals in the pre and run the Mac as a mono block?

this is an incorrect conclusion how he had things wired. in the early seventies and during the WOS he did run both sides of one twin, only the vibrato was used by jerry, while the normal or dry signal was used as a remoted stage monitor for the other side of the stage(or wherever needed/wanted). back then they did not use monitors in the manner as they are used today. as for running the mac in Mono, that was only done during the WOS and a second mac was used to drive the normal channel monitor behind the drums and on keiths side.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Pete B. » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:02 pm

This might help (Manual):
http://www.tubebooks.org/file_downloads ... 0Owner.pdf

Here's a bigger pic.
Just curious... it looks like the Com's are not tied together, and the Hot leads go to different ohm taps. Is this a spare amp that has not been fully configured for Mono service yet?
Pete B.

Postby Smolder » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:26 pm

waldo041 wrote:
this is an incorrect conclusion how he had things wired. in the early seventies and during the WOS he did run both sides of one twin, only the vibrato was used by jerry, while the normal or dry signal was used as a remoted stage monitor for the other side of the stage(or wherever needed/wanted). back then they did not use monitors in the manner as they are used today. as for running the mac in Mono, that was only done during the WOS and a second mac was used to drive the normal channel monitor behind the drums and on keiths side.

peace,
waldo

Thanks for the clarification. Any insight as to why the far stage monitor would be dry? Or was just for the separate volume control on the twin.
Smolder

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:58 pm

You're right Waldo, I get easily confused with big words :D !!!!!! parallel means you divide the ohms not add them, I meant that all along....
JonnyBoy

Postby waldo041 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:51 pm

Pete B. wrote:This might help (Manual):
http://www.tubebooks.org/file_downloads ... 0Owner.pdf

Here's a bigger pic.
Just curious... it looks like the Com's are not tied together, and the Hot leads go to different ohm taps. Is this a spare amp that has not been fully configured for Mono service yet?

yes, this is an amp from the WOS, not jerry's, but is wired exactly like his was. the com's, black banana jacks, are tied together internally to the common. all the red banana jacks are tied together internally, but they are also tied to the red wire which is placed on the ohm tap needed externally.

Pete, only during the WOS when he utilized 20 - 12" speakers did Jerry use his mc2300 in mono. everything after was not mono operation. connecting a mac for mono operation would not need to be done internally, but is jumpered as explained in the owners manual you linked.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby waldo041 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:57 pm

Smolder wrote:Thanks for the clarification. Any insight as to why the far stage monitor would be dry? Or was just for the separate volume control on the twin.

you know it's not really clear as to why, but in one of the WOS photos, pre show, shows a fender reverb unit really close to jerry's rig. that unit could very well have been used for the lead guitar stage fill monitors, but it has not been confirmed. what has been confirmed is that whenever you see jerry using that normal channel inconjuction with the vibrato channel, it was for stage fill monitor purposes only.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Next

Return to Jerry Tone