Resurrection Guitars Jerry Garcia "BOLT" for sale!

Sell and buy at your own risk...

Resurrection Guitars Jerry Garcia "BOLT" for sale!

Postby pctidefan » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:01 pm

Modified Jerry Garcia "Lightning Bolt" Tribute Guitar Figured Bubinga
Hand Crafted by Resurrection Custom Guitar Company / Pat O'Donnell Luthier/Owner
What we have here is a custom hand made guitar from Pat O'Donnell at Resurrection Guitars. It is based on the exact design, woodworking and electronics as Garcia's Bolt with the absence of a MIDI system. This guitar has the On Board Effects Loop (OBEL) and weighs in at 9 3/4 lbs! The coolest thing to me is that the truss rod cover is made from the original Opium Rosewood Bed that Jerry's "Bolt" guitar was made from.

If you are unfamiliar with Pat O'Donnell, here is an excerpt about him from his Facebook page: "'I've been building and repairing guitars since the early '70's. I'm a custom builder who does everything by hand....no CNC machines, no one works on these guitars other than myself. Each instrument is handcrafted according to your specifications. It may take a little time, but if you are willing to be patient, you will get the guitar of your dreams."

The guitar is setup with very low action. I have played it very sparingly and it has been stored away it it's hard shell case. I'll answer the answer obvious question so you don't have to ask… Why am I selling it? Two reasons, I have a bit of difficulty going from my more standard guitars such as a Strat and LP to the Bolt because of the 24 frets. The second is that I'm leaning away from playing Dead tunes as much as I play other things. There are no issues with the guitar! It truly is awesome but it's too nice/expensive not to play! Similar guitars from Alembic, Moriarity, etc. can easily sell for over $10k but NONE of the have the ties to Garcia that a Resurrection guitar does! I am looking to get $6K and I'll ship it to you free insured which I expect to cost me around $200-250. Please don't hesitate to contact me with questions!

I normally sell my guitars on eBay but I'm listing it here first with plans to post it on eBay soon. You can check out my profile on eBay (pctidefan). I'm trying to figure out how to get photos on here but i'm not getting very far. I'll post them after this initial submit or on a photosharing site and post that. Sorry...

Here are the details:

Body Specifications:
◆ Jerry Garcia "BOLT" body shape!
◆ 5-Piece Body Laminating schedule: Figured Bubinga-Maple-Mahogony-Maple-Figured Bubinga : The entire back of guitar is capped in figured Bubinga!
◆ No Body Binding
◆ Clear Nitro Finish with NO shaders or tints.
◆ Battery Cover: Bubinga Oval, Maple Ring

Neck Specifications:
◆ 9-Piece Neck Laminating schedule: Morado(Pau-Ferro)-Maple-Walnut-Maple-Mahogany-Maple-Walnut-Maple-Morado(Pau-Ferro)
◆ Width at nut: 1 5/8"
◆ Width at 22nd Fret: 2 3/16"
◆ Depth at 1st Fret: 13/16"
◆ Depth at 12th Fret: 15/16"
◆ Ebony Fretboard
◆ White Neck Binding
◆ Frets: .046 x 103
◆ 12" Radius
◆ White Mother of Pearl #2 Fretboard Inlays
◆ White Mother of Pearl "Firecracker" inlay in the Headstock
◆ Truss Rod Cover made from Garcia original Opium Bed!
◆ 2-Way TrussRod

Electronics and Hardware:
◆ Tuners: Gotoh Shaller - Black
◆ Locking Strap Buttons - Black
◆ Wide Tuneomatic Bridge - Black
◆ Standard Black Stop Tail
◆ Chrome Switches
◆ Brass Nut
◆ Pickups: 3 Dimarzio Super II's
◆ Preamp/Buffer: CAE Sound Unity Gain Buffer

Included will be a Hub Bub dual mode cable hub designed exclusively for OBEL equipped guitars made by Godfrey Daniels. Just flip the toggle switch to the right and the Hub Bub routes the signal from your OBEL thru your pedal chain and back to your guitar before the volume/tone controls and then out to your amp. If you flip the switch to the left, the Hub Bub bypasses the OBEL circuit and routes a traditional signal from a non OBEL equipped guitar thru your effects chain and out to your amp. See a thread here for more info: viewtopic.php?f=334&t=8308

I'll also include an issue of Vintage Guitar magazine from January 2010 with an article about the Steven Cripe Guitars "Holy Cripes! The story of Jerry Garcia's last guitars"

Here is some background info on Steven Cripe/ Bolt / Pat O'Donnell courtesy of Dozin.com:
"Garcia's next guitar arrived in the mail at the Grateful Dead office in 1993. Stephen Cripe, a 39-year-old Florida woodworker who spent years building custom interiors for Caribbean yachts, decided to try his hand at making a guitar. Using a few photos and a Dead video, he knocked off Irwin's design of Tiger with a few flourishes of his own, like carving the body out of a piece of East Indian rosewood recycled from a 19th century Asian opium bed. Garcia was floored. He gave the piece to San Francisco repairman Gary Brawer to fix the electronic guts, but it was a miracle guitar. "Garcia was amazed when it came around," said band mate Bob Weir, "at the guesswork he had to make -- and got right -- to give that guitar Irwin's look and feel. It was astounding." He pronounced the piece "the guitar I've always been waiting for" and began playing the instrument exclusively. It came to be called Lightning Bolt. Garcia met with Cripe briefly backstage at a Florida concert and commissioned a second guitar for $6,500, known as Top Hat, although Garcia almost never played it. Cripe, whose hobby was making fireworks, died in May 1996 when his work shed blew up. He used an exploding firecracker as the insignia on his guitars' headstocks. Lightning Bolt was in the shop on the last tour. In his final show at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 9, 1995, Garcia started out playing Rosebud, but midway through the show, the guitar developed problems. Garcia strapped on the tour's spare guitar -- Tiger, out of mothballs for the occasion -- and finished his final concert on his old trusty axe."

- Now here's the story of Resurrection Guitars - owned and run by father and son Pat and Tim O'Donnell.:
"Resurrection Guitars was attending many guitar shows and that was when Steven Cripe and Pat met. They both had similar backgrounds in the boat and woodworking business. They left the show and weren't seen for the the rest of the day. Pat was amaZed at the woodworking and artistic skill in Cripes guitars and Cripe was amaZed that Pat could make a 5 pound guitar sound so good with massive sustain. They became friends soon after and talked shop often. Unfortunately Steve was killed in an explosion in his shop in Trilby Florida. Pat and son Tim finished some of Steve's guitars and by 98' they were considered the authorities on Steve's work. By studying his instruments first hand and seeing and using many of the jigs and tools that Steve designed they had a massive amount of insight on how Steve built his guitars and the evolution and direction he may have been heading. In addition to building their own model of guitars, Pat and Tim with the permission of Pete Cripe built their first replicas of Steve's instruments for clients that had been in contact with Steve before his death."

More info regarding the Cripe story at http://www.cripeguitars.com/guitar.html
pctidefan
rukind?
rukind?

Re: Resurrection Guitars Jerry Garcia "BOLT" for sale!

Postby pctidefan » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:23 pm

pctidefan
rukind?
rukind?

Postby waldo041 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:23 am

Hello and welcome to the Board.

I am absolutely positive this is a great guitar and worth every penny. Pat and Tim's work is very good.

BUT, i just wanted to correct a statement in your sales pitch

pctidefan wrote:[Similar guitars from Alembic, Moriarity, etc. can easily sell for over $10k but NONE of the have the ties to Garcia that a Resurrection guitar does!

Resurrection Guitars have NO "TIES" to Garcia whatsoever! If you read the story of Resurrection guitars you will find that they "Resurrected" Cripes business from the remains of his shop in 1996. JG Died in 1995, and already had been delivered the 2 Cripe Guitars he owned well before Steve ever met Pat or Tim. Also, if you read the Cripe story as well you will find out that Steve never made a "Template" for Bolt and when he asked Parish to give him some measurements of it, they told him to wing Tophat and if they didn't like it they would send it back, which Jerry obviously never did. The real truth is Pat or Tim have never actually held Cripes JG Bolt orTophat but i am sure they will not come out and say that. That said, i do know for a fact Matt Moriarty has and does have some actual spec's of those guitars, but does not replicate them. And Alembic had a HUGE tie to Garcia, after all Irwin did build JG's Wolf and Eagle while an employee.

I know that guys like to make a direct Cripe/O'Donnell/Garcia affiliation when selling a Resurrection guitar, and The Resurrection company has made a living of it, but the truth is there is no Garcia/Resurrection association whasoever.

i want to emphasize that i have held and played a Resurrection TopHat, and can say that the work is impeccable and that they are worth the money they go for. and this guitar is well worth the money on it's own merit. i am just trying to correct the facts.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Pete B. » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:36 am

'Not sure what's up with this, but it's the first thing that popped up in a Google search... a Res-ee Bolt online asking $5000:
http://cjrmusic.com/catalog/index.php?m ... 2921c6b828
Pete B.

Postby eric » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:00 pm

God that thing is sick.. I got to noodle a few minutes on a Res back at the HT expo and check out a couple other ones he had with him.. Talk about a dream.. But I was too scared to get within even 10 feet of the Moriarty stuff though..
eric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby pctidefan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:39 pm

Waldo,

I appreciate the welcome and your comments but I have to disagree. It's really a matter of opinion and I believe the story is the very definition of having "ties" to Cripe guitars. I didn't try to misrepresent the relationship and I even presented links to the story. I don't intend to get into arguments with folks through a forum; it's not my style. The guitar stands on it's own and I'm sure people on here are pretty knowledgeable about this.

Jay
pctidefan
rukind?
rukind?

Postby pctidefan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi Pete B,

I looked at that listing and they don't have the specs listed yet. $5K is not really far off from what I'm asking considering I'm including the Hub Bub and cable and shipping and insurance that will be around $200-$250 from UPS. Additionally, I don't think it's as nice as mine if you look closely. With that said I'm will to negotiate a bit with an interested party!

Jay
pctidefan
rukind?
rukind?

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:24 pm

From just photos and specs, they seem very comparable. :smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby pctidefan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:30 pm

Never said it wasn't comparable!
pctidefan
rukind?
rukind?

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:30 pm

Not tryin to say you did! Just sayin! :smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:58 pm

pctidefan wrote:Similar guitars from Alembic, Moriarity, etc. can easily sell for over $10k but NONE of the have the ties to Garcia that a Resurrection guitar does!

I guess I don't really give a shit who the builder hung out with back in the day.

It's a beautiful guitar. Whoever ends up buying it will be very fortunate to have nabbed such a cool piece.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby waldo041 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:49 pm

pctidefan wrote:Waldo,

I appreciate the welcome and your comments but I have to disagree. It's really a matter of opinion and I believe the story is the very definition of having "ties" to Cripe guitars. I didn't try to misrepresent the relationship and I even presented links to the story. I don't intend to get into arguments with folks through a forum; it's not my style. The guitar stands on it's own and I'm sure people on here are pretty knowledgeable about this.

Jay

Jay,

i agree with you! there is a "tie" between Resurrection and Cripe guitars. it happens after Steve unfortunately passes which was almost a year AFTER Jerry passed. however it is not a matter of opinion but definately about the facts, there is NO "tie" whatsoever with Garcia to Resurrection. zip, zilch, nada!

i am pretty knowledgable about these guitars.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:13 am

Fuckin' a. Those are awesome pictures man. Living all of our dreams there.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby jackr » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:45 am

Pete B. wrote:'Not sure what's up with this, but it's the first thing that popped up in a Google search... a Res-ee Bolt online asking $5000:
http://cjrmusic.com/catalog/index.php?m ... 2921c6b828

Pete,
That one was mine, Its sold and I never updated the site.
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby Jimaroe » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:02 am

by wolftigerrosebud » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:13 am
Fuckin' a. Those are awesome pictures man. Living all of our dreams there.

+ 1

I'd say that grin pretty much says it all. Cool pic!
Jimaroe
Jester
Jester

Next

Return to Garage Sale