Dave Herbert's Rig and Tone

Dave Herbert's Rig and Tone

Postby tapestry » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:56 am

Had the wonderful opportunity to hang out with Kat Walkerson and JGB for a few nights during the last run.

During that Time I was able to talk to Dave, who is playing the Jerry part with Melvin Seals and JGB. Dave is a great guy and really nice. He plays a Troy Post tiger and is getting a new one built at the moment.

His Rig was built for Melvin by Tracey Lowe. the Rig sounds fantastic! Very Clean and full of tone. I really wanted to bring my 67 BF twin done to try out with the macintosh and 3x12, but wasn't able to make that happen...;)

Dave did something unique with his pedals in order to get them all on the plane. He took out the knobs on some of the pedals and wired up a knob box that clamps onto his mic stand. Thant way he has the ;usury of turning and tweaking knobs while playing and not bending over to get to them. Excellent solution and no loop switcher needed!

tapestry
Bobby
Bobby

Re: Dave Herbert's Rig and Tone

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:10 am

Dave also gets absolutely fantastic tone out of a rented Twin (last December at The Refuge in Portland)
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby hawk900 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:20 am

Cool idea for tweakin the FX. Gotta love the vast array of ingenuity that all Jerryists come up with to keep everything at waist level. I don't think I ever saw Jer bend over and tweak anything around his foot switches or at the lower half of his rack.
If he did the rosebud would probably tip him over and pull him to the ground.
Nice pics tapestry!
hawk
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Counterstriker » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:40 pm

I really like the idea of the pedal knobs, Do you have a smaller picture of his pedal set up I can't see the whole thing, I'm wondering how he did is so cleanly.
Counterstriker

Postby waldo041 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:22 pm

Counterstriker wrote:I really like the idea of the pedal knobs, Do you have a smaller picture of his pedal set up I can't see the whole thing, I'm wondering how he did is so cleanly.

Parts Needed.
snake cable with stereo plugs
stereo jacks.

1.) remove the pot and place it's wires on a stereo jack.
2.) place the pot removed in a remote box and use one channel end of the snake cable to wire that pot in the remote box.
3.) plug that channels plug into the stereo jack you wired up in step 1.
4.) repeat process with the next pedal/pot.

(note: i would substitute a 14b switching stereo jack and buy a new, same value/taper pot instead of removing the original pot for the remote box. wired correctly and the original pot works in the pedal with nothing in the remote jack. place a plug in the remote jack it disengages the pedals pot and engages the remote pot. this allows the pedal board to be used without the remote box)

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Laytonco » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:51 am

I just got home from the Quixotes show in Denver. Absolutely killer night. Never seen Dave before but chatted with him before their first set. Nice guy. Was playing the board and mic stand controller but through the house twin with stock Jensen speakers. The tone was dead on fantastic. Real high energy show tonight with Melvin taking several extended leads. Kind of an elementary review but having trouble focusing on the keyboard! I was very very impressed! That controller hinted of Waldo but not so. Waldo, Dave sent a hearty hello to you!

Peace,

Gil
Laytonco

Return to Jerry Tone