Distance from Tiger's PUPs to the strings, nut & bridge?

Re: Distance from Tiger's PUPs to the strings?

Postby Jon S. » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:42 am

>> Anyone with a Tiger have a ruler?

I own a 22 fret Tiger and I have a wife - do I qualify? :oops: :P :lol:
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby waldo041 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:48 am

from the front of the nut (fretboard side).

middle of neck = 20 1/2"
middle of middle = 22 1/4"
middle of bridge = 24 1/16"

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:12 am

Jon S. wrote:>> Anyone with a Tiger have a ruler?

I own a 22 fret Tiger and I have a wife - do I qualify? :oops: :P :lol:

No...you don't have a ruler! :lol: :? :shock:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:13 am

waldo041 wrote:from the front of the nut (fretboard side).

middle of neck = 20 1/2"
middle of middle = 22 1/4"
middle of bridge = 24 1/16"

peace,
waldo

Thank you very much, Waldo! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby drewfx » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:31 am

Jon S. wrote:When I contacted my tech, Phil Jacoby, about experimenting with flipping which coil is active in my J-caster when the middle 'bucker is split, he replied,

>> IF I can get a gold on/on/on (not on/off/on) minitoggle, you can have your choice of coils, front/both/rear.

I'm going to go for this if Phil can get the part!

It should be fairly easy to find this part. I know I've got some sitting around here somewhere waiting to get installed.
drewfx
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Jon S. » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:15 am

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby waldo041 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:06 am

Jon S. wrote:When I contacted my tech, Phil Jacoby, about experimenting with flipping which coil is active in my J-caster when the middle 'bucker is split, he replied,

>> IF I can get a gold on/on/on (not on/off/on) minitoggle, you can have your choice of coils, front/both/rear.

I'm going to go for this if Phil can get the part!

actually, you will need an On/Off/On for north/humbucker/south, and here is how it is wired.

maybe phil has another way of wiring it with an on/on/on?

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Jon S. » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:57 am

Just spoke with Phil. He says he does indeed have a way to make it work with an on-on-on (something to do with how he moves the ground, he says) but that I should please email him your diagram as there's more than one way to skin a cat(fish), which I've done. Thank you for the diagram.

EDIT: Phil replied, "Ok, thanks, that's a neat way to do that." :hail:
Jon S.

Postby hawk900 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:49 am

Sorry I kinda hijacked the thread. Continued it here:

viewtopic.php?f=419&t=12050

hawk.
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby gpilcher2001 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:29 am

Is it me or does it seem that the measurements are backwards? Wouldn't 14/64's be lower than 10/64's and in the waldo pictures the bridge pup is definitely higher than the neck and middle. Could it be more like 4/64's? When I set my guitar up for this I had to raise my bridge pup a bunch to get the volume to match. Just sayin. Greg...
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:02 am

gpilcher2001 wrote:Is it me or does it seem that the measurements are backwards? Wouldn't 14/64's be lower than 10/64's and in the waldo pictures the bridge pup is definitely higher than the neck and middle. Could it be more like 4/64's? When I set my guitar up for this I had to raise my bridge pup a bunch to get the volume to match. Just sayin. Greg...

No, because 14/64's is larger than 10/64's. Look at the ruler. Count the 64's. 14 is bigger than 10. The top number indicates how many of the increments there will be, therefore 14/64 is bigger than 10/64. Just like 3/8ths is bigger than 2/8ths.
Hope that helps.
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby TI4-1009 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:38 am

What Jon is saying is that the pictures show the bridge pickup closer to the strings than the other two (smaller gap between top of pickup and string). A gap of 14/64" is a 4/64 (1/16") larger gap than a gap of 10/64". So the measurment description doesn't reflect what the photo shows.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby mgbills » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:02 am

Which was my point on page 2. I wholeheartedly believe that the measurements given are reversed. If you set the pickup height as per Waldo's site, you'll hear a dramatic volume increase when you select the neck pickup. I mean no disrespect to Mr. Wald or Mr. Brawer, and I've discussed this with Waldo. This was how the information was presented, and I'm admitting a deviation from the spec based on what seems reasonable. When I look at Rosebud, I see the neck pickup as proportionally distant to the strings as perceived against the slope of the neck angle & tune-o-matic.

In the Tiger configuration you've got a single coil with much larger magnets. I set the SDS-1 at 14/64's, and the bridge and middle HB's at 10/64's. I then pull the treble side up to balance the volume. I'll have to measure the change and send it later.

Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby lunasparks » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:41 pm

Because of variation in neck angle (and general guitar build nuances?) as well as preferred action, etc. shouldn't we be discussing measurements with the final fret fretted? Or wouldn't that that at least get closer to an answer?

Waldo, any chance you measured the distance from pups to strings with fretted? Or if you think your setup is close to the man's, what are your pup-to-string distances with the fretted last approach?
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby waldo041 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:39 pm

gpilcher2001 wrote:Is it me or does it seem that the measurements are backwards? Wouldn't 14/64's be lower than 10/64's and in the waldo pictures the bridge pup is definitely higher than the neck and middle. Could it be more like 4/64's? When I set my guitar up for this I had to raise my bridge pup a bunch to get the volume to match. Just sayin. Greg...

mgbills wrote:In the Tiger configuration you've got a single coil with much larger magnets. I set the SDS-1 at 14/64's, and the bridge and middle HB's at 10/64's. I then pull the treble side up to balance the volume. I'll have to measure the change and send it later.

Mr. Brawers numbers are a little suspect, he could have fretted and measured and he also does not tell us which side he measured from. Thus why i have always showed pictures. I do not have an actual measurement taken from any of JG's guitars, but if i ever did get my hands on Tiger....

however the emperical proof does lie within those Brawer numbers. as noted, when flipped they match up perfectly with what we see in the pictures, as well as what we hear from a good JG setup. Marty's description on how he does it is exactly how i do it and get the results seen in the photos. keep in mind this is with a properly spaced and placed pickup arrangement AND string height. anything else and ymmv.

~waldo
waldo041

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone