Distance from Tiger's PUPs to the strings, nut & bridge?

Re: Distance from Tiger's PUPs to the strings?

Postby mijknahs » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:18 pm

I adjust the bridge pickup so it matches the volume of the middle pickup. Since I mainly use the bridge in single coil I have to make it closer to the strings than the middle. Plus the bridge position is the weakest position as far as string vibration goes.
mijknahs

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:21 am

Here's what I think of pickup height. Skip to 6:38 for what I'm talking about:

Rusty the Scoob

Postby Alpine89 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:50 am

Wow wow wow, all I have to say!

So sweet to have all of this info available- I am working on my Jerrycaster- and had a question about the distance of the middle
Super2 (south edge of the pickup) to the bridge. As I know just as important as the string distance from the pickup is the distance of pickup edge to the bridge-
Moving the pickup even a mm north or south greatly effects the tone- in my experience this is the biggest mistake on the Tiger replicas out there- I think the tendency is just to randomly put the pickups in anyway they fit between the neck and the bridge- Especially when working with a 22 fret instrument, there is a lot of room- Fortunately I have been able to get a great "actual size" screenshot of this image of Rosebud and take a very accurate measurement! It appears that the super2 adjustment screws align with the adjustment screws in place for the standard single coil placement on a strat- However, once the super2 goes in, the north split coil will be slightly north of where the strat single coil normally lives- Anyway just want to express my gratitude for this information- THANKS!
Alpine89
welcome
welcome

Postby Jon S. » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:32 am

To be sure I understand what you're saying 100%, could you confirm please which side of the pickup you're saying is active when the middle Super 2 is split and say bridge and neck rather than north and south? Thanks.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Jon S. » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:41 am

Anyone?
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:08 am

Jon S. wrote:Anyone?

Each Super2 pickup has two coils, dah, we all know that. The coil of, each pick up, that is closest to (or facing) the bridge is known as the “south coil”. And, the coil of each pick up that is closest to the neck is known as the “north” coil.

I think what he is asking is what is the distance supposed to be from the “south” coil of the middle pick up to the bridge.

Also, I’m almost positive the “north” coils of all three super2’s are the coils that are on when any of them are split. That’s how mine is wired, anyway. I used Waldo’s diagrams.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby waldo041 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:34 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:
Jon S. wrote:Anyone?

Each Super2 pickup has two coils, dah, we all know that. The coil of, each pick up, that is closest to (or facing) the bridge is known as the “south coil”. And, the coil of each pick up that is closest to the neck is known as the “north” coil.

I think what he is asking is what is the distance supposed to be from the “south” coil of the middle pick up to the bridge.

Also, I’m almost positive the “north” coils of all three super2’s are the coils that are on when any of them are split. That’s how mine is wired, anyway. I used Waldo’s diagrams.

actually, North & South are referring to each coils magnetic polarity.

when wired for a coil cut ala jerry's wiring, the coil that is cut is the south and the north remains active. however, orientation in the guitar will dictate what the north coil is closest to, either neck or bridge. you can use the pickups 4 conductor cable as a reference to orientate the pickup to have the north coil closest to the neck. that cable's hole in the base of the pickup should be closest to the electronic cavity for a righty and farthest away for a lefty. another way is the Dimarzio label, with the guitar standing vertical, should read upside down. also, you can just tap test each coil with a small metal object, such as a small screwdriver, to find out which coil is active. although you will hear the tap of the active coil on the non active coil, tapping the active coil will produce a much larger audible pop when tapped.

all that said, if one is not really looking to emulate a precise jerry tone it does not matter which coil is used when coil tapped. :P

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby waldo041 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:47 am

Alpine89 wrote:Wow wow wow, all I have to say!

So sweet to have all of this info available- I am working on my Jerrycaster- and had a question about the distance of the middle
Super2 (south edge of the pickup) to the bridge. As I know just as important as the string distance from the pickup is the distance of pickup edge to the bridge-
Moving the pickup even a mm north or south greatly effects the tone- in my experience this is the biggest mistake on the Tiger replicas out there- I think the tendency is just to randomly put the pickups in anyway they fit between the neck and the bridge- Especially when working with a 22 fret instrument, there is a lot of room- Fortunately I have been able to get a great "actual size" screenshot of this image of Rosebud and take a very accurate measurement! It appears that the super2 adjustment screws align with the adjustment screws in place for the standard single coil placement on a strat- However, once the super2 goes in, the north split coil will be slightly north of where the strat single coil normally lives- Anyway just want to express my gratitude for this information- THANKS!

http://www.buildyourguitar.com/resource ... /index.htm

http://www.frudua.com/pickups_placement.htm
peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:26 pm

Precisely, Waldo! So, what is the correct distance from the bottom edge of the south coil of the middle pickup (righty guitar) to the top of the bridge saddles, on Tiger?
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby Jon S. » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:37 pm

waldo041 wrote:all that said, if one is not really looking to emulate a precise jerry tone it does not matter which coil is used when coil tapped. :P

peace,
waldo

Ha ha! I resemble that remark. :oops: In my defense, is "precise" is a relative term and, in my case, at the moment, I'm seeking more precise with my J-caster. I have it wired now with the active-when-split-coil in the middle 'bucker being the one closest to the neck. This wasn't what the pickup did "naturally" when we first put it in the guitar - Phil needed to do something extra to the wiring to get it that way at my request. But now I'm thinking I could stand a bit more "spank" in the tone and am considering changing the wiring back to having the coil closest to the bridge be the active one when the PUP is split, hence my curiosity. And thanks gratefully for the clarifying info. and diagram. :smile:
Jon S.

Postby waldo041 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:27 pm

Jon S. wrote:
waldo041 wrote:all that said, if one is not really looking to emulate a precise jerry tone it does not matter which coil is used when coil tapped. :P

peace,
waldo

Ha ha! I resemble that remark. :oops: In my defense, is "precise" is a relative term and, in my case, at the moment, I'm seeking more precise with my J-caster. I have it wired now with the active-when-split-coil in the middle 'bucker being the one closest to the neck. This wasn't what the pickup did "naturally" when we first put it in the guitar - Phil needed to do something extra to the wiring to get it that way at my request. But now I'm thinking I could stand a bit more "spank" in the tone and am considering changing the wiring back to having the coil closest to the bridge be the active one when the PUP is split, hence my curiosity. And thanks gratefully for the clarifying info. and diagram. :smile:

Jon,

if you just want to test without rewiring, just physically flip the pickup and try it out. if you like it, depending on how your other pickups are wired, you may need to rewire. but if you don't like it just flip it back.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:03 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:Precisely, Waldo! So, what is the correct distance from the bottom edge of the south coil of the middle pickup (righty guitar) to the top of the bridge saddles, on Tiger?

Maybe someone with a Tiger could take a measurement? It would be greatly appreciated! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:40 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:
hippieguy1954 wrote:Precisely, Waldo! So, what is the correct distance from the bottom edge of the south coil of the middle pickup (righty guitar) to the top of the bridge saddles, on Tiger?

Maybe someone with a Tiger could take a measurement? It would be greatly appreciated! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Anyone with a Tiger have a ruler? :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby Jon S. » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:02 am

When I contacted my tech, Phil Jacoby, about experimenting with flipping which coil is active in my J-caster when the middle 'bucker is split, he replied,

>> IF I can get a gold on/on/on (not on/off/on) minitoggle, you can have your choice of coils, front/both/rear.

I'm going to go for this if Phil can get the part!
Jon S.

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:23 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:
hippieguy1954 wrote:

Anyone with a Tiger have a ruler? :smile: :smile: :smile:

Anyone? :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

hippieguy1954

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone