Jerry-caster-ization!

Re: Jerry-caster-ization!

Postby Jerry1996x » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:52 pm

Hey guys, is there a difference between just a 2 way coil tap switch and a s/s/p switch? if so what exactly does the s/s/p switch do. Im getting a Super 2 and was just wondering. reading up on my stuff...
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby claytushaywood » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:50 am

Jerry1996x wrote:Hey guys, is there a difference between just a 2 way coil tap switch and a s/s/p switch? if so what exactly does the s/s/p switch do. Im getting a Super 2 and was just wondering. reading up on my stuff...

s/s/p stand for series, single, paralell
4 conductor humbuckers allow for a myriad of switching options even beyond these, apparently jerry had the s/s/p for a short time but never used the paralell switch

series= standard humbucker tone- the two coils wired in series for highest output and hum cancelling. warm, fat, more mids and bass, less high end, higher impedance

single= one coil output with the other coil (usually- some variation regarding this) shunted to ground- this is what jerry most commonly used and is less output than series but more than paralell wiring. single is not humbucking and will get you closer to a strat sound

paralell= not normally included on the 2 way switch (espceially with jerry style guitars) paralell consists of the two individual coils of the humbucker wired in paralell. this is hum cancelling with lowest output and impedance. there is more high end than series mode but less than single coil mode.

personally when wanting less output from humbuckers i prefer going single coil in the neck position. but if you're coil shunting the north coil on the bridge humbucker and using the coil closest to the bridge, i find it gets pretty darn thin and bright sounding. i like paralell better than single coil on a typical bridge humbucker.

check out this pdf file

http://www.deaf-eddie.net/drawings/coil-shunts.pdf
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Postby waldo041 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:10 am

claytushaywood wrote: apparently jerry had the s/s/p for a short time but never used the paralell switch

where did this info come from?

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby claytushaywood » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:14 am

Sorry, i have read that somewhere on this forum or another, and i usually try not to answer questions with answers i've read from forums. i usually only ask questions about what i've read and answer questions with knowledge i've gained from experience or sourced information. my bad on that one

according to you... jerry originally (when wolf first got humbuckers) had series/single coil switch on the dual sounds and an sds1 in the neck

then- when wolf was being used as a midi guitar you say that he had super 2's and the super 2's were wired with switches to go between paralell and series. with an hs style dimarzio humbucking single coil (wired in single coil mode) or an sds1?!? picture that you show on your site with midi pickup def doesnt look like an sds1

for the guy with the question- tiger and most of what you from late 70's wolf with humbuckers jerry was using single coil mode of the humbucker like 99% of the time. tho he had 2 of the s/s 2 way switches for each bucker to switch between - series or single coil for each humbucker

is this correct?
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Postby JustinJohn » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:45 pm

Finally completed my Jerry-Caster! After routing the body for 2 humbuckers, adding a pair of Super 2's with coil-tap switches and an SDS-1, all new electronics and re-shielding ... it sounds freakin fantastic! I was immediately struck by the difference in sound (and how much more Jerry like) the pickups actually give my overall tone. It's hard to explain the difference with words, but it's akin to the difference between red curry and yellow curry... Similar, but a different spice! I'm Gonna be running the whole thing thru Waldo's TPC-1 (pedal form) very soon.... Finally all comin together! =)

**amp volume is low - you can hear the actual string pluck - I'll take a better video at a good stage volume soon =)
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Pete B. » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:40 pm

Nice!
The cab is new since I've seen you last, too.
I'll try to make it out to hear your new rig soon.
Cool,
Pete
Pete B.

Postby WildEye » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:29 pm

Hey Justin,

Nice axe, where did you get the bridge?
WildEye
Mickey
Mickey

Postby JustinJohn » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:52 pm

The bridge came stock with the guitar, as far as I know.
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:48 am

Nice! The Jerrycaster looks really nice and you sound great too! Enjoy! :smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Tony6Strings » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:31 am

Dude, that is one cool stratocaster. What is it, exactly? Pretty sure I've never seen a Fender like that. Is it a hardtail?
"Why do the best things always disappear, like Ophelia?"
Tony6Strings
Brent
Brent

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:19 am

Looks like a Conn, because of the neck thru. If it is, I've looked all over and can't find one for sale. :smile: :smile: :smile:
hippieguy1954

Postby mkaufman » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:57 am

Yes, what is that guitar?
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby JustinJohn » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:59 pm

Thanks for the kind words!! Yep - its a Conn CSE-2 strat, neck-thru-body, all brass hardware. It has the best neck of any strat I've ever played, and quite solid/heavy... Perfect for a Jerry-caster! =)
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:12 am

JustinJohn wrote:Thanks for the kind words!! Yep - its a Conn CSE-2 strat, neck-thru-body, all brass hardware. It has the best neck of any strat I've ever played, and quite solid/heavy... Perfect for a Jerry-caster! =)

Those are awesome strats! I've been looking for one for a long time. Haven't found one yet!

Again, you sound excellent and so does the Jerry-caster! Enjoy! :smile: :smile: :smile:
hippieguy1954

Postby Jon S. » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:42 am

I do believe that is among the finest Strat I've seen ever. Enjoy it!
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone