How much would you pay for an Original Mutron iii

Re: How much would you pay for an Original Mutron iii

Postby Jon S. » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:10 am

I generally love Guyatone's mini pedals. I still have their compressor and delay pedals which I keep on my acoustic guitar board. But I bought and returned their WR-3. Didn't care for it at all. In fact, the posts here now make me wonder if mine was defective, that's how little I cared for it!
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:29 pm

hassles that the Mutron has...the wacky power supply...

not a big hassle at all. spend $10 (or less?) on two of those 9v clip-to-coaxial adapters from VisualSound and power it with two independent 9v supplies (not the same one using a chain cord), done.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:57 pm

My qtron gets a fantastic and hair splittingly close jerry sound. So far the best alternative for me. Haven't tried a proton either, but purists will be purists and I am one about some things. I see it this way, with good hands you can sound 10x more like jerry through a qtron than a novice through a mu3. It makes no sense unless someone is trying to cross that hurdle ability wise for a more purist tone. I do agree you can sell it if it doesn't work out tho. If I was just starting out with an envelope filter a used qtron will save me 400$.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:38 am

There are a number of ways to skin the envelope filter cat, but if you can afford it and the piece in question is nice and clean I'd pull the trigger. There is a reason that the "classic" effects boxes are classics, there really is no substitue. Sure, there are some things out there that get super close, and they've been mentioned up thread, but the Mu Tron really is it's own color. That said I'd look at the knobs before you buy they tend to get mis matched, and (and this is just me) but I would not get it modded to true bypass, it might need new caps but other than that I'd just leave it as is and rock out.
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Postby Pete B. » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:47 am

Currently on our local CL:
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/msg/2884049293.html

If it's still there by the weekend i might grab it.
Never hurts to have too many MuIII's.
Pete B.

Postby bazza411 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:09 am

Yeah, i pulled the trigger on it for three reasons

1) The money wasn't going to kill me
2) I think I got a damn good one. It sounds absolutely fantastic. Just like a nice fire on the mountain tone. My friend takes really good care of his stuff. If something is wrong with it, it's not standing out to me.
3) I can sell it and get my money back.

Thanks for all the feedback
bazza411
rukind?
rukind?

Postby seniorpesca » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:19 pm

Ok i need all your opinions.

I have a epiphone black standard les paul w a hardcase thats used and i can sell for 300 to put towards a original mutron that is going for 400 but prolly needs some refurbishing too

if you never played this said les paul would you go for it for the mutron..seems like more an investment caues the epiphone will obviously dwindle in value as the mutron will not
seniorpesca
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby seniorpesca » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:30 am

bump
seniorpesca
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby redeyedjim » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:59 am

I think your reasoning is sound; the Mutron will almost certainly continue to go up in value, while the Epiphone is unlikely to.

As I mentioned up thread, I recently purchased an original Mutron III and I'm very happy with it -- it has a beautiful tone, and it's really fun to play wit However, as others have mentioned in this thread and elsewhere there are other options that will get you close to that tone, and in the right hands these other, cheaper pedals will get you all the way there.

But I don't think you can go wrong by selling the Epiphone and purchasing an original Mutron, as long as a) you don't have a sentimental attachment to the Epiphone, and b) you are OK with trading an instrument for an effect.
Dilettante - sounds nicer than "hack"
redeyedjim
Mickey
Mickey

Postby jahozer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:55 pm

As everyone else has said, if you want THE pedal that Jerry used, as many on this forum do, and you want it for that "neatness" factor, and a piece of stomp box history, then spend the money. I see it holding that value, but not really going much higher. Hell, who knows though.
For 80 bucks, you can get a micro Q Tron that is designed by Mike Bagel, the designer of the Mutron. You set it right and you will be in greasy Estimated Prophet Shakedown heaven.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby seniorpesca » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:46 pm

turns out somebody bought the mutron from the local guitar center
im kinda glad it didnt work out i've never sold a guitar before and would feel guilty.

the mutron also had a few issues with the lowpass i would have had to get it repaired for sure

i want to try out the Qtron that seems like the most realistic route for my wallet.
seniorpesca
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby TRG » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:35 am

Anyone have any additional clips to share of the Qtron and/or Protron?

The original Mu is just too much for me to spend on a pedal, and I'm having a hard time deciding between the Qtron and the Protron based on everything I've read.
TRG
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby seamones » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:16 am

TRG wrote:Anyone have any additional clips to share of the Qtron and/or Protron?

The original Mu is just too much for me to spend on a pedal, and I'm having a hard time deciding between the Qtron and the Protron based on everything I've read.

No clip, but +1 Proton
seamones
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:56 am

seamones wrote:
TRG wrote:Anyone have any additional clips to share of the Qtron and/or Protron?

No clip, but +1 Proton

Sorry, no clip. Also +1 Proton :smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Pete B. » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:03 am

I'm meeting the guy at 1:30pm at a local guitar shop.
He says's... "I'll be the grey haired guy holding a Mutron pedal".
I'm like... "I'll be the other grey haired guy".
Nice.
Pete B.

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone