American beauty solo??

American beauty solo??

Postby lunchbox » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:30 pm

Hello there family. New to the fourms. I could really use some help with the solo(ab) for box of rain. Jdarks has a tab but I cant follow it, seems like he has to much going on.
I am so very thankful for any help/tab.
Thank you!
lunchbox
tiger
tiger

Re: American beauty solo??

Postby Adam Deckard » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:06 pm

I think that solo was played by garcia's old bluegrass buddy David Nelson. I Think another dude came in and played bass while Phil lesh played acoustic guitar. The Solo interested me too because I could not understand how dude was making his guitar sound like that until I found out about a little thing called a "b-bender" guitar made by fender which has a "whammy bar" type deal built into the strap so that when the guitarist tilts his guitar the strap actually bends the b string in order to achieve that unique sound! I think alot of country players use these guitars for "chickin pickin" stuff lol. Try watching some Grateful Dead performances on youtube and see if garcia plays that solo, i bet he doesnt!
Adam Deckard
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Mr.Burns » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:19 am

Benders can be set up for both the B and E strings, one strap button bends B, the other E. I can think of no modification which requires as much cutting and customization as these benders, and for non-trem guys like me, they are an absolute nightmare. It seems like the technique required to properly use one would be difficult to perfect, trying to apply the correct downforce on the strap button while playing...Anyone that has a guitar set up this way deserves props, even more so if they can play it... :hail:
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:36 am

Check out this vid
I am pretty sure I asked them about this solo and the guy ( he is a member here I forget his name ) said his guy didnt use a B Bender on the solo .... so it can be nice and sweet in the standard way
Maybe he will chime in ...
On Darks ... its been awhile but I remember getting some good stuff out of it. Sometimes its a jumbled mess but keep poking around ... the solo wasnt as hard as remembering the chords :D
Also have you tried searching youtube for Box Of rain solo vids ?
What a great tune
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby jeffm725 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:21 am

Here ya go,

Just substitiute the B-Bender notes (you can tell the B-Bender is used when he pushes down on the guitar) with Full Step bends on the B- String:

.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby Claaken » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:28 am

Indeed, such a substitution works all right, practically no difference.

Mobile Phone Signal Boosters – Make your signal always accessible!
Combating Poor Mobile Coverage in the Office with the Help of a Mobile Phone Signal Booster
Last edited by Claaken on Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Claaken
welcome
welcome

Postby zambiland » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:31 am

I heard a rumor it was Clarence White with his infamous B Bender. Maybe just a rumor. I know plenty of Tele players who can do that with their fingers. Ross Martin and Jim Lewin come to mind.
zambiland

Return to Box of Rain