sacrilege

Chat about Equipment Info

sacrilege

Postby Trecia » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:40 pm

Hey all

I've been lurkin' and lurnin' for quite a while off and on here and generally enjoy the discussions and appreciate the knowledge and insight dropped.. I'm Rockin' some JBL's (E's and K's) and a MAC, but that amp is usually too much of a PitA to setup. Usually I'm pretty stoked with the sound of just a k120 mounted in my old "greyface" (partially blackfaced) Deluxe reverb, that with a tubescreamer clone (with a choice op-amp) set to no drive, was finding me some very uniquely Jerry-licious tones the other day. So that's where I'm at, but let me cut to the sacrilege...

1. Going through the extensive discussions on the Mac transistor clipping, I wonder: has anyone looked into upgrading the components (for symmetry etc.) in a transistor based amp? I can imagine someone with some know-how dropping some eminence commonwealths and 12 dollars worth of upgraded capacitors, resistors, etc into a Fender Frontman or FM series amp and dropping a few jaws with their "dirty clean" tone. Or even better one of those tube-preamp SS power amps that were everywhere 10 years ago. Probably doesn't have a Sentry Monitor to worry about!

2. Twin Pre -> MC2xxx -> Attenuator -> JBLish speaker?...... There, I said it. I know some people hate AT's but I bet someone had to have tried it.

Ok that said, I'm thinking about lifting the Sentry on my MC2505 (busted glass: fedex ....grrrr.) Didn't see any specifics about that posted... but saw it referenced plenty. If someone could direct me to that that would be sweet. I know it's a risk but the Mac isn't doing much for me at this rate so if there's an easy way to open up some new dimension to it I think I'll chance it.

Appreciate and opinions, insights, rejections, alternatives anyone feels like sharing. Just wanted to stir the pot a little on these discussions.

Trecia (Trey/Garcia... mostly all I'll listen to ; )
Trecia
TC
TC

Re: sacrilege

Postby Jon S. » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:32 am

I don't have the technical know-how to respond substantively but I will say that, for me, when it comes to gear, there pretty much is no such thing as sacrilege. If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Trecia » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:22 pm

Sacrilege... just trying to be provocative really. The discussions got me wondering about other ways to get to that transistor power clipping than through Mac land, or really loud volume too, for that matter. Your ears distort too... and it can be quite pleasing in itself. I've also heard extended loud noise has it's own hangover effect. Ying/Yang YMMV.
Trecia
TC
TC

Postby waldo041 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:25 pm

i look forward to hearing the results of your experiments.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:12 am

Trecia wrote: Your ears distort too... and it can be quite pleasing in itself.

"Back in the day... (70's-80's)" I usually used to sit up on the side of a Dead show- on the Jerry side about 1/3-1/2 way back. One time I figured I'd try it out down on the floor. At least where I was standing, my ears were so overdriven by the sound pressure that the entire band was completely clipped- NOT pleasent! I retreated to the seats where I could hear again. I guess our ears are all different- a lot of people loved it down on the floor.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Trecia » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:22 pm

I'm actually pretty carefully with my hearing... Especially in band situations. Maybe even to a fault. But i know it sure does feel good to crank it up and push and amp to its limits. To Waldo's comment. Unfortunately I can't do these experiments myself right now, wich is why I'm discussing them here, I suppose. I did have a fender Princeton chorus for a long time, I remember when turned up all the way (2x25w ss stereo output) it had an interesting way of breaking up. Definitely had elements of that dirty/clean thing. it was also lacking in overall oomph, and the preamp was pretty cheap. But I'm guessing a better transformer, speakers and a few higher end circuit components and it would get a sweet sound. Didn't know if there were any other thoughts/experiments along these lines. To me Jerry's rig and approach to sound was so unique for "rock" music. makes me wonder about other ways to cut against the grain for tone.

Still looking for specifics on how to lift a sentry monitor on a mc2505. If anyone's can help. that'd be kind.
Trecia
TC
TC

Postby Mr.Burns » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:05 am

Trecia wrote:Trecia (Trey/Garcia... mostly all I'll listen to ; )

No offense, but you garbled up Trey and Garcia, and you put Trey first...

Talk about sacrilege... :cry:
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby Trecia » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Ha ha... Good point. But being a younger buck I came of age in Treys heyday, and 'got' him well before I could appreciate Jerry. I couldn't come up with anything good the other way anyway... Garstasio? Je-Rey? Well not as bad as I thought now that I see it written. But too late!
Trecia
TC
TC

Postby mijknahs » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:26 pm

I don't think you really need to lift the Sentry Monitor.
mijknahs

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion