Jerry Garcia Pickup Positions

Jerry Garcia Pickup Positions

Postby Urblues » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:27 am

What pickup position did jerry use on tiger and wolf for that sweet eyes of the world tone?
Urblues
TC
TC

Re: Jerry Garcia Pickup Positions

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:21 am

I've heard Garcia go through his entire tonal palette in various Eyes'.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Urblues » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:57 pm

I always thought it sounded like the middle or bridge super 2's on coil tap mode, but it could just be me.
Urblues
TC
TC

Postby waldo041 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:35 pm

well, let's go to the video!

in this 91, sounds like Middle to start things off but i think i see it in the Middle/Neck,

first solo Neck Pickup, 2:34

back to Middle pickup at 4:21

in this 89, he is using the Bridge/Middle with the Bridge Humbucker ON.

and at 10:12 you can see him flip to the Middle pickup(single). at 10:14 you can see what the pickup selector looks like in the Middle versus the Bridge/Middle

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby boater1941 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:13 pm

Cool notation and nice reversable sliding back while plucking key notes chords eg.hideaway jam. Garcia's fav. My biggest prob I find is repetition and it pisses me off. I keep finding myself just going for the close a more organized area to pull off a carved in stone type lead. I get really down on myself then put it away for a while. You basically need to know major and it's relative minor scales(comes in handy alot during jams). Caged leads(leads based on a curtain chord position change)eg.touch, Learn your pentatonics major and minor eg.wang dang. Do a quick comparison of your 5th,7th n 9th scales.
Ever since I got the garcia tone it basically made me into having to learn alot more and play leads using strings I never would have dreamed of using before. eg. I'll start some jams on the 6th string 20th fret and crawl right across. Hats of brad and your great sounding pre.
Also in jams I base my licks based on where the roots is in the position I'm at are and will I be able to hit its close friends without leaving the area. This is all where the craftsmanship comes in. Also becareful what you study and print out. I've seen alot of wrong crap out there.
Jerry loved his movable chord forms both sliding up into them and down but never was a full bar guy. I'm the same way. If I have to mute or hit that 6th string note on an eg. F chord I can hit the note if I have to with my thumb. He loved the movable classic A chord which he could hit using his index and or ring finger and secondly the movable main E chord. Thirdly I's say movable 1st position D chord except when he left the D zone he used his ring and pinky to cover strings 4 n 5 one fret up from D noted string when the d chord is on the 1 st position.
boater1941
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby boater1941 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Sorry forgot to mention the variation of my interpreted fun movable chords. A into A7 by removing a finger. F into F7 and the D which its minor can be hit all the way up except finger positioning is 2 frets behind root note. I still use on occasion.
boater1941
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby softmachine72 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:22 pm

I am sure he used the neck quite a bit for eyes.
softmachine72
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby boater1941 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:17 am

Just remember middle split north coil is the sweetest of the sweet.
boater1941
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Smolder » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:22 am

boater1941 wrote:Just remember middle split north coil is the sweetest of the sweet.

is that with the active side towards the the neck or the bridge?
Smolder

Postby waldo041 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:01 am

Smolder wrote:
boater1941 wrote:Just remember middle split north coil is the sweetest of the sweet.

Also, which scale and pickup placement?

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Searing75 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:03 am

Active coil of the middle pickup would be towards the neck when in single coil mode.
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75
Mickey
Mickey

Postby rugger » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:25 am

waldo041 wrote:
Smolder wrote:

Also, which scale and pickup placement?

~waldo

Yeah, I guess the OP's question was too straight forward! :-)

john in san diego
rugger
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby boater1941 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:09 pm

is that with the active side towards the the neck or the bridge?[/quote]

Also, which scale and pickup placement?25.5 and north.

Yeah, I guess the OP's question was too straight forward! :-)

Is this a quiz???? 25.5 and north. I can scan the mags were jer explains. All jer's splits were north coil active. Depending on the Irwin(tiger) two buckers bridge and middle positioned magnetically out of phase and wired out of phase when both north coils were active (5way pos. 4) they were hum cancelling like the wall of sound's mics. Rosebud was all in phase and finally someone added parallel pup wiring in the wolph(2nd cleanest and hum cancelling great for pounding chords) splitting your buckers is the cleanest note for note but not hum cancelling .....no biggie.
ps. Later on I'm gonna up a cool vid of me and my 2300 and 4 E's at the back of one end zone and have my tripod with cam corder 150yrds away..........I still could only bring the MC Volume up to around 4ish using 1ohm tap.......so cool cause it sounds like I'm playing 10feet away ........crystal clean no caffeine.
boater1941
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby waldo041 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:58 pm

boater1941 wrote: Is this a quiz???? 25.5 and north. I can scan the mags were jer explains. All jer's splits were north coil active.

I would love to see those magazines that Jerry explains he uses the north coil. Please scan and post them.

Nobody is lashing out at you or being defensive, my apologize if taken that way, just trying to get you to clarify your statement. You are correct, it is the north coil, BUT it needs to be the coil on the neck side versus the bridge side when the middle is split. If placed incorrectly, but wired appropriately the wrong coil will be active. Also, a 24 3/4" middle pickup correctly wired and placed will not have the brilliance of a 25 1/2" scale guitar. There are other factors that go into your statement"Just remember middle split north coil is the sweetest of the sweet.". If the wrong scale or placement is made, this statement is not as accurate.

~waldo
waldo041

Postby Smolder » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:15 pm

Searing75 wrote:Active coil of the middle pickup would be towards the neck when in single coil mode.

perfect... thanks. Just built a strat and an SG with a split coil dimarzio in the middle position and the orientation of the pickup never occurred to me.
Smolder

Next

Return to Jerry Tone