How to set up a GCX Audio Switcher

Chat about Equipment Info

How to set up a GCX Audio Switcher

Postby Jerry1996x » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:55 pm

Hello all,

Im assembling my rack and am about to get a GCX. I have been looking for a vid/diagram/manual that shows exactly what you need to do to set it up, but have came up empty. I made a diagram myself putting together what information I have gathered (which I know isnt all right). What is really confusing me though, which im sure is an easy question, but at the end of the chain of loops, im not sure what plugs into what.... heres the diagram. I would much appreciate if someone could let me know how close I am and what needs to be change.............

http://s1145.photobucket.com/albums/o51 ... iagram.png
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Re: How to set up a GCX Audio Switcher

Postby myoung6923 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:02 pm

I don't remember exactly, but I don't think that you need to daisy chain the loops together
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby Jerry1996x » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:13 pm

Really???? That would be great, but i thought ive seen people do it like that. hmmmm :?:
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Bear62 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:47 pm

Where you currently have the "patch" cables are actually the send and returns to each of your effects. So you need to run a send cable to the input side of each respective effect and a return cable from the effect out of each effect. The patch cables rin from Loop 1 out to Loop 2 input and so on. Are you running an OBEL or a Std effects chain. If Std., plug your guitar into the "buffered Input" No. 2 on the front panel and plug your amp cable in the "out" on loop 8 where you have the "?"

If you are using and OBEL, plug the tip ("Send") of the Y cable into input No. 2 and the Ring (Return) side of the Y cable to the "out" on loop 8 where you have the "?" You can send the the mono guitar output directly to the amp., or into input 1 and out the back of the GCX to the amp.

I hope this helps!

Gregg
Bear62
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby waldo041 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:08 pm

probably not as extreme as you may be attempting, but i just hardwired the jumpers internally. i know it limits the functions of the unit, but this one was only going to be used in one fashion.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby myoung6923 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:13 pm

myoung6923 wrote:I don't remember exactly, but I don't think that you need to daisy chain the loops together

Scratch that - you DO have to jumper the loops together
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby Jerry1996x » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks guys! All this info is really helpful. Bear, im using a standard effects chain, so i get what youre saying. And Waldo, RIGHT ON! :smile: That thing looks amazing! Its really helpfull in the sense i can just see where you covered the jacks, is where the patches go, so thats sweet.
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Jerry1996x » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:28 pm

Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby waldo041 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:39 pm

nope, the original diagram you had was a better attempt. the changes you need to make to it are.

Red is to the Pedals
Blue is the Patch cables.

the ? mark is To the amp, not the one you show, that is a feed thru from it's front input. there are 2 different inputs each with its own output. one is buffered one is not.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Jerry1996x » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:06 pm

What?? They go the other way around??? Uhg. Im getting a headache :oops: Pardon my lack of knowledge. Im extremely new to all of this.... so your saying the loop 2 send goes to return 3 and so on?
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby gpilcher2001 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:31 am

voodoo labs website has quite the exstensive page for how you can use the gcx/ground control. lots of different diagrams for routing your effects controlling amp chanel switching and controling midi devices. the digrams will show you how to integrate all this into your rig. from the simplest to the most complex. plus you can download the manuals for free. they'll tell you how to program and route the unit.
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Jerry1996x » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:43 pm

After much help from Vic, I finally got it :smile:

http://s1145.photobucket.com/albums/o51 ... aaajjj.png
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Jerry1996x » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:09 am

Ok. So i got the GCX, Ground Control, and the custom cables just came in the mail no less than 30 minutes ago. Only problem i had is the people i got the midi cable from sent me one that was too short. No big, still works, ill get a longer one later. I plug everything in, and the first problem is the ground control. I plugged it in, and it didnt turn on. I thought, ok, maybe i put it in the wrong input. So i put it in Midi Out instead of Pedal In. Still doesnt turn on. I plug it in with 9v power supply, it goes right on. Is it a faulty midi cord? Also, when it was on, and it was showing all the presets that were on it (from the previous owner) and i was pressing a few buttons, i noticed that only 1 went on at a time. Is it gonna be like that when its all working???
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Jerry1996x » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:26 pm

ok, i think the problem is i have a midi cable with the wrong amount of pins. Roockie mistake i suppose. There are 7 holes in the ground control. Does that mean i have to have a 5 to 7 pin cable? I looked around the web and couldnt find any...
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby playingdead » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:18 pm

Some MIDI cables don't have all 5 of the pins wired, make sure yours does. Cheaper ones are just three pins wired and two dummy pins.

The 7-pin jack is for some devices (like the AxeFX) that use the 6th and 7th pins to send power to a controller by providing a jack for the controller's power supply on the back of the rack unit. In that case you would use a 7-pin to 7-pin cable. If my memory is correct, the GCX will send the power down a standard 5-pin wired MIDI cable.
playingdead

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion