Fuzz tone

Chat about Equipment Info

Fuzz tone

Postby BlobWeird » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:27 am

Hey guys any idea on what pedal would be used to get that fuzzy distortion tone he uses in say the studio slipknot. Or when he uses it in the LLR jam. Or on studio Throwing Stones he uses it also. Any ideas? I crank the gain a bit but that just doesnt get that sound. It sounds like he might be usin a phaser alos in slipknot? Or somethin to that effect.
BlobWeird

Postby strumminsix » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:30 am

To my ears I hear JG using a Distortion and Phaser together often. However, I do see why you say Fuzz. But from all I've read I have yet to hear of him using one.

To get a JG sound like that I run a distorion (Rat) into a Phase 90 (phaser) and it's really similar.
strumminsix

Postby mutant_dan » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:50 am

Jerry's later rig went like this:

• Korg DTR-1 Pro Tunner
• Real Tuber Reverb
• Groove Tube Trio
• ADA Multi-Effects Delay
• Boss Octave OC-2
• Boss Turbo OverDrive OD-2R
• Boss Equalizer
• Mu-Tron III

Seperated on a different EQ

• Over Drive OD-1
• Boss Equalizer
• MXR Phase 100

Earlier rig:

mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:02 pm

Not sure why you think those last three pedals are somehow seperate from the others, Dan- because they are on a lower row in JG's rack? Physical space limitations. It's all one FX chain. I do agree that each OD has its own EQ pedal following it... also notice he has one OD that precedes the MuIII and one that follows it.

To answer the original poster's question,
MXR Distortion+ (the Rat is a very good alternative) and MXR Phase 100, possibly some Octave in there as well although I haven't heard the studio version in years
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby BayAreaBB » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:17 pm

In your opinion - is the MXR100 essential to the "distortion" sound? I guess I overlooked using it with the distortion pedal of choice.

Regarding the MXR, is the script model far superior to the block insignia models?
BayAreaBB
Brent
Brent

Postby strumminsix » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:19 pm

BayAreaBB wrote:In your opinion - is the MXR100 essential to the "distortion" sound? I guess I overlooked using it with the distortion pedal of choice.

Regarding the MXR, is the script model far superior to the block insignia models?

the MXR and 100 are 2 different pedals. Yes, JG used an MXR Dist for a long time but in the 90s (I believe) he had a Boss DS-1 in his rig.
strumminsix

Postby BayAreaBB » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:10 pm

Sorry - let me rephrase my question : is the Phase 100 integral to a distorted sound, whether it be matched with the MXR Distortion+ or the Boss pedals?
BayAreaBB
Brent
Brent

Postby strumminsix » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:20 am

BayAreaBB wrote:Sorry - let me rephrase my question : is the Phase 100 integral to a distorted sound, whether it be matched with the MXR Distortion+ or the Boss pedals?

No. A phase100 or any phase effect for that matter is a filter effect not an overdrive or distortion. Despite the fact that many consider it a modulation like tremolo or vibrato or chorus it is a filter like an envelope or wah.
strumminsix

Postby mutant_dan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:29 am

tigerstrat wrote:Not sure why you think those last three pedals are somehow seperate from the others, Dan- because they are on a lower row in JG's rack?

Actually, it was a brain fart.
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:30 am

strumminsix wrote:Yes, JG used an MXR Dist for a long time but in the 90s (I believe) he had a Boss DS-1 in his rig.

The MXR Distortion was the primary distortion device from approx 77 thru the end of 89. At various (seperate) times in the 80's a Boss OD-1 Overdrive was added for awhile, as was a Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal but the Dist+ did not actually disappear from his rack until 1990 when the new rack w/ two Bosses and two EQ's was unveiled. I'm pretty sure a Boss DS-1 Distortion was never used.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby pharewellphish » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:45 pm

BayAreaBB wrote:Regarding the MXR, is the script model far superior to the block insignia models?

i was wondering the same thing... anyone know?
pharewellphish
Brent
Brent

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:20 pm

The script is far more collectible... I've only ever tried out the script version (actually one cloned with NOS parts)... but I was able to A/B it at length with my Mu-Tron PhasorII and determine that the Mu can exactly nail the 100 sound with a little bit greater versatility due to the Feedback control. Both were true bypass modded pedals at the time of comparison.

I use it about 500% more frequently since replacing the Rate pot with a foot control!
tigerstrat

when you look at that schematic, they are not linear, right?

Postby kenneybonz » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:00 am

hi.. the effects in that schematic are not all strung together to all be used all the time AT the same time.. they are, on different songs, used to different degrees, right? or is it something you set to on and then tinker with in variations as u play?
Hipsters, Tripsters, real cool chicksters, Everyone's doin' that rag.
kenneybonz
Billy
Billy

Postby waldo041 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:29 am

pharewellphish wrote:
BayAreaBB wrote:Regarding the MXR, is the script model far superior to the block insignia models?

i was wondering the same thing... anyone know?

the script and the early block logo's have the same circuit board. the dunlop MXR block logo is the same circuit NOT parts, and has everything circuit board mounted. IMHO the script and early block logos are better sounding, but the newer version gets the job done.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Re: when you look at that schematic, they are not linear, ri

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:52 pm

kenneybonz wrote:hi.. the effects in that schematic are not all strung together to all be used all the time AT the same time.. they are, on different songs, used to different degrees, right? or is it something you set to on and then tinker with in variations as u play?

No, only rarely would all FX be used at one time, but the onboard loop serves two (primary) functions:
1) placing all of the effects BEFORE the volume knob on your guitar at unity-gain. This is the key to controlling dynamic effects like a Mu-Tron (although you can approximate by using a vol pedal at the end of your chain)
2) being able to turn OFF all effects at the flick of a switch on the guitar- no matter where on the stage you happen to be standing. Get me outtaheeeeere!!
tigerstrat

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion