MC-50

MC-50

Postby Jon S. » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:02 am

Do y'all think it's realistic to power a rig off of (just) one of these? When and when not? I'm close to pulling the trigger on one. I like it's relatively lower weight. But I could also try to buy two or hold out for a MC-250. Thanks for all insights.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Re: MC-50

Postby strumminsix » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:08 am

Jon S. wrote:Do y'all think it's realistic to power a rig off of (just) one of these? When and when not? I'm close to pulling the trigger on one. I like it's relatively lower weight. But I could also try to buy two or hold out for a MC-250. Thanks for all insights.

It all depends on how loud your band is and if you'll mic it at gigs.

It's 50w, yes? So 25 watts to each speaker in a 2x12. Many guys, self included, easily gig with Deluxe Reverb types at 22w and are still told to turn down.
strumminsix

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:10 am

I've got one here. It's like having just one half of the MC250. Rated by McIntosh clean at 50 watts, but really it's about 75 to 80 watts when it begins to audibly clip. But that's transistor watts and on stage that feels like something around the 35 to 40 watts you'd get from a dual-6L6 Fender amp like a Pro or super. So, honestly, I don't think it cuts it for most players doing the Jerry thing where you need big clean power to poke thru. But if the band is quiet or if you use in-ears and don't need the big stage volume, it would work. Tonally, it's real nice. Just not that powerful. Its tiny and light, which I love. It's about 18lbs and quite small.

And I agree with Strumminsix. If you play in a setting where a Deluxe/JBL is plenty loud, then mos def the the Mc50 would cut it for you.

For bigger louder bands I feel like the Mc250 is as small of a Mac as one would want in a Dead band and should be ideal for a bunch of us. For me it's great, but in a louder band, the Mc2100 is probably the best choice. It's pretty powerful at about 150 per channel. If that's not enough and you use both sides of the Mc2100 then you're at 300W, just like Jerry's half of his Mc2300. Very loud.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby redeyedjim » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:40 am

I have one, and I love the tone/size/weight of it, but I'd echo everything Brad said about it probably not being loud enough for stage use in a band. However, it's great for practicing, for low volume jam sessions in a garage or studio, or for any gig where your amp is going to be mic'd and run through a PA.
Dilettante - sounds nicer than "hack"
redeyedjim
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Jon S. » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:43 am

Thanks so much for the feedback! Quick follow-up question: are two MC-50's literally the same as one MC-250 power-wise? Would it be a sensible approach to use a pair to independently drive a pair of 12" speakers (I.e., each amp driving its own 1x12)?
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby jester536 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:23 am

Just saw an MC 2100 on eBay right now. It's sitting at $535.00 right now but I imagine it's going to go up from there. This thing looks to be in VERY good condition. There are a few days left on the bidding...what do you think this should go for? Anyone?
If the thunder don't getcha then the lightning will!
http://www.reverbnation.com/unchartedwaters
jester536
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby Jon S. » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:34 am

At 57 lbs., what I can say is you won't have competition from me if you want it!

Any responses to my last question about running TWO MC-50s? Thanks again.
Jon S.

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:53 am

Yes, pretty much 2 MC50's would equate to a single MC250. One Mc250 probably makes more logistical and economic sense.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:10 pm

MC Two Fifties
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby jeager » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:32 pm

When I had my MC250 I only used half (one side) of it and found it quite loud... (so is that like an mc 50?). Maybe I'm nuts but I was turning the thing up a little over halfway on must gigs and it felt really powerful and clean running two K120s. We mic cabinets on most gigs and tend to play small to medium rooms but we ain't quiet. The thing had some punch.

Well, come to think of it I never used that amp in a terribly large room or outdoors.

Could I have been in bridge mode with out knowing?
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Jon S. » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:06 am

For now, I will pass on the MC-50 I was inquiring about. Given all of the expressed uncertainties as to practical power/volume, I think I'm best served by ruminating over this further & continuing to experiment with different combinations of settings on my current rig. I appreciate all of the replies.
Jon S.

Postby Smolder » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:00 pm

Does anyone have a source for the caps on these? I picked one up very cheap on the bay... the serial number is gone so I don't know the revision, but they only made them for a couple of years so the caps are likely 40-42 years old.
Smolder

Postby waldo041 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:33 pm

these are for an mc2505 aka mc250 with meters or aka s mc50's in one chassis, so you should only need half of them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-BC-Capa ... 3a7675a265

i got a replacement cap can from this guy. you'll need to let him know what your after and he should be able to fix you up.
http://www.hayseedhamfest.com/capacitor ... itors.html
but some just disengage the old can and just wire in the needed caps. the bigger filter caps are usually fine, however you may eventually want to source some new ones.

you'll also need a service manual as well.
http://berners.ch/McIntosh/Downloads/MC50_ser.pdf
http://berners.ch/McIntosh/Downloads/MC50_ser_b.pdf

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tcsned » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:50 am

I just scored a MC2100 for $335 - it's a little rusty and the nameplate is MIA but works and sounds awesome. Yes it is 57lbs but that's not that bad, just lift with your legs :-) old, beat up, but functional is fine with me. Power-wise half of it seems plenty, I gave it a good test Friday night and don't think I got it past halfway in stereo mode. I think the MC50 might be a little anemic for me. The 250 in mono would probably be alright.
tcsned

Postby lunasparks » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:14 am

Jon S. wrote:For now, I will pass on the MC-50 I was inquiring about. Given all of the expressed uncertainties as to practical power/volume, I think I'm best served by ruminating over this further & continuing to experiment with different combinations of settings on my current rig. I appreciate all of the replies.

Jon, I'm usually running half of an MC250 into a 1x12 JBL E120. Sometimes I hook the other side to 2x12 K120s at the same time, just to surround myself entirely. At home, this is a very full but crippling loud setup if I try to push it even a bit. What I haven't done yet, though, is to bridge the MC250 to double the power. Maybe someone else has done this bridging and can comment, but one of the reasons I went with the MC250 was that I'm mostly at home and running 50 watts (or thereabouts) more than cuts it but I liked the idea of the bridging option being available to power up for full outdoors levels. Again, I've never yet done this but assuming it doesn't kill the tone, it might be a good option for you to have. And the MC250 isn't quite as heavy as a 2100 (though no RV300 in the weight dept.)...I know you hate carrying weight around!

Can anyone comment on bridging the MC250. Viable option for maintaining tone but simply increasing power???
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Next

Return to Jerry Tone