Advantages of a Mcintosh

Re: Advantages of a Mcintosh

Postby redeyedjim » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:02 pm

Jerry1996x wrote:Awesome! Sounds simple now that I have a bit of a grasp on it. So theres nothing plugged into the cab itself? Just the speaker. Sounds good! And look what I made in case I ever get confused :D :smile:

Um...well, you have your input coming into the Right channel, and your output coming from your Left channel. Switch one of those so input and output are on the same channel, e.g., Left input, Left output.

Jerry1996x wrote:OH! 1 last question.... Can I make the speaker cable I need out of the cable thats already in the cab? In other words seperate the 2 cables to attach to the Mac?

Eh, don't do that. You can buy a ready made preamp-to-Mac input cable at Radio Shack, p/n 42-2440:

That wil get you from the preamp to the amp's input. For the output, just use a length of speaker wire, at least 14ga. Use spade connectors on the end that is attached to the Mac's output terminal, and for the other end, use one of the Neutrik female connectors I posted about above. Then use a standard 1/4" male to 1/4" male speaker wire cable to connect the speaker to the amp:

Clear?
Dilettante - sounds nicer than "hack"
redeyedjim
Mickey
Mickey

Postby hawk900 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:14 pm

Regardless of hours used it's years created and for the caps a new set of key ones will instantly make your beauty sound like the day it first appeared in store. I'm a proud owner of a 2100 aka exact spec's as Mr.Jer except 60 watts less. I modded both left and right driver cards as per einstein himself. If you know these amps you'll know what a bummer the sentry monitor could be in the of your lead. I reaplace all main input caps here:s some cool tips:

own a MC2100 and two MC2120s.

Caps wear out.

Even when not in use.

This list is for the MC2100, electrically it is the same as the MC2105, just without the meters.

Even though your old amp is still working, you have no idea how much of the music you are missing.

The parts are inexpensive.

Digi-Key is good, Mouser has no minimum order.

Posted by djk (M) on July 11, 2004 at 04:29:36
In Reply to: Re: MC2105 @ $ 100 even @ 20 yrs old is a best buy for me. posted by julian4@telkomsa.net on July 06, 2004 at 14:58:04:

The sound would benefit greatly from replacing a few dried out electrolytics, and adding a few film types here and there.
C301, 302 is the main input coupling cap. It is a Mylar type so it is likely to be OK, upgrading it to a Polypropylene type with give a smoother sound to the high end (0.47µF).

C307, 308 are emitter bypass caps, 100µF 15V. Replace with same type and add a 0.1µF film bypass.

C309, 310 are the output coupling caps for the pre-driver section, 10µF 25V. While a film type would be better, size is a problem. The DC bias across this cap also helps out with its being an electrolytic. Replace with same type and add a 0.1µF film bypass.

C303, 304 are the DC power supply caps for the front end, 470µF at 25V. Replace with same type and add a 0.1µF film bypass.

C1, 2 are the feedback loop caps, 330µF at 3V. The signal goes through these so replacing these with new ones and adding a 0.1µF film bypass really opens up the sound. Go with as high a voltage as what space permits.

C11, 12 are the DC supply caps for the voltage gain stage, 150µF at 50V. Replace with same type and add a 0.1µF film bypass.

C201, 202 are the main filter caps, 39,000µF at 40V. These may be quite expensive new, although I have seen them surplus for very low prices. I would use then unless signs of leakage or amplifier hum are there. Add a 47µF at 50V cap in parallel with each.

C203 is a multi-section cap that will be very hard to find a fresh date code. New caps are small enough that they may be wired to the terminals of the old one, leaving the old one in place. This cap is important as it provides the current for the diff pairs and the VAS. The sections go 80/80/150/50µF with the voltages being 200/200/150/150V. If you measure the voltages 100/95/90/80V are typical, so 200V caps are not really needed, but 100V is not enough.

Crystal clean amplification of my modded fender tone stack and tcp-1 feeding into 2 e120-8 JBL's
here I'm just messin around with some space..hes gone...standing,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f3e8AJ2 ... e=youtu.be

hawk.
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby hawk900 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:27 pm

Here's a shot of the 1/4 inch modded jack and chrome volume knobs and 2 red cpu tower fans to keep the driver cards cool.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4502/sany0079r.jpg

hawk
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:31 pm

Great work and great info Hawk!

Re-capping is so cool. In a way, your amp is perhaps even better then when new because electrolytic cap's of today are superior in performance to those back then.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby Jerry1996x » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:22 pm

redeyedjim wrote:
Jerry1996x wrote:Awesome! Sounds simple now that I have a bit of a grasp on it. So theres nothing plugged into the cab itself? Just the speaker. Sounds good! And look what I made in case I ever get confused :D :smile:

Um...well, you have your input coming into the Right channel, and your output coming from your Left channel. Switch one of those so input and output are on the same channel, e.g., Left input, Left output.

Jerry1996x wrote:OH! 1 last question.... Can I make the speaker cable I need out of the cable thats already in the cab? In other words seperate the 2 cables to attach to the Mac?

Eh, don't do that. You can buy a ready made preamp-to-Mac input cable at Radio Shack, p/n 42-2440:

That wil get you from the preamp to the amp's input. For the output, just use a length of speaker wire, at least 14ga. Use spade connectors on the end that is attached to the Mac's output terminal, and for the other end, use one of the Neutrik female connectors I posted about above. Then use a standard 1/4" male to 1/4" male speaker wire cable to connect the speaker to the amp:

Clear?

I getcha. Ya, i noticed i had the channels mixed up after i posted it :lol: So i just take a normal speaker cable that I would use to go from my twin to cab, take of one end to attach to the terminal and the other end goes into the cab. Then the RCA to the twin. The only thing im not clear on is what the neutric female jack is for....
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby mijknahs » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:30 pm

Jerry1996x wrote:The only thing im not clear on is what the neutric female jack is for....

Probably only if you want to disconnect the speaker cab.

You could wire up a female 1/4" jack and hook it up to the MAC. Then you could just plug in a 1/4" speaker cable to the 1/4" female jack to hook up the speaker cab. Those red lines from the pic of the MAC would be wired to a female jack. Makes it easier if you want to move your stuff around. Then again, if this is going to stay in one place most of the time, you don't really need it.
mijknahs

Postby Jerry1996x » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:38 pm

Ya. I dont gig that often. Once maybe twice a month. But what would the disadvantage be to just having the spade speaker cable have a male 1/4" on the other end to just plug into the cab? It seems like that would be the easiest. I guess I get what your saying though. If i want to take the Mac out of the equaton, i just take the 1/4" speaker cable out of the female thats connected to the Mac and plug it into the twin and unplug the RCA. But it seems like that issue could be handled just as well by having another speaker cable on hand.
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby mijknahs » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:44 pm

Jerry1996x wrote:Ya. I dont gig that often. Once maybe twice a month. But what would the disadvantage be to just having the spade speaker cable have a male 1/4" on the other end to just plug into the cab? It seems like that would be the easiest. I guess I get what your saying though. If i want to take the Mac out of the equaton, i just take the 1/4" speaker cable out of the female thats connected to the Mac and plug it into the twin and unplug the RCA. But it seems like that issue could be handled just as well by having another speaker cable on hand.

Either way would work. Personally I have my speaker wire coming directly from the speaker and then to some banana jacks on the MAC. I don't have a jack plate on my speaker cab.
mijknahs

Postby Jerry1996x » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Ya. And to make the spade speaker cable, i just take apart one end of it?
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby mijknahs » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:03 pm

Jerry1996x wrote:Ya. And to make the spade speaker cable, i just take apart one end of it?

You can take apart a speaker cable and put spade connectors on the ends of the wires then screw them down on the terminal strip on the mac. Or you can just screw the bare wires down. Spade connectors are better though.

Remember to pull out the power tubes on your Fender or you will fry your amp (with no speakers connected to it).
mijknahs

Postby Jerry1996x » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:07 pm

Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby mijknahs » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:44 pm

Jerry1996x wrote:Can I buy one? I just saw this...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Planet-Wave ... 1475311.gc

Yeah, that would totally work if your speaker cab has a 1/4" jack plate to connect it. I guess yours does so, that would be perfect. Are you sure 2' is long enough? Probably 4' or 6' would be better.
mijknahs

Postby Jerry1996x » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:50 pm

Ya, thats what i thought when i saw it. Ill look at where the Mac will be, but I will look for a longer one. Now, the last possible matter. Ive emailed an amp tech in the area, and again, because of my lack of tech vocab, would like to check if the guy knows what im syaing, or if im saying what i should be. I told him I wanted to add a 1/4" preamp tap, that would bypass the power amp section when plugged in. this is what he sed...

"So you want to drive a McIntosh. Tube power bloc I assume? Can give you a pre line out w/o effing with it too much"
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby mijknahs » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:06 pm

Jerry1996x wrote:Ya, thats what i thought when i saw it. Ill look at where the Mac will be, but I will look for a longer one. Now, the last possible matter. Ive emailed an amp tech in the area, and again, because of my lack of tech vocab, would like to check if the guy knows what im syaing, or if im saying what i should be. I told him I wanted to add a 1/4" preamp tap, that would bypass the power amp section when plugged in. this is what he sed...

"So you want to drive a McIntosh. Tube power bloc I assume? Can give you a pre line out w/o effing with it too much"

It sounds like he might have done this before (that's good). Did you mention McIntosh? Or did he come up with that on his own?

Just give him a link to Waldo's schematic and that's all he should need.

However you can't use the RCA vibrato jack if you want to short the power section. You will need to add a 1/4" tap. That is the best way anyway. Forget about using the RCA jack on the Fender and just change it to a 1/4" jack. Then you can have true and safe power section shunting (you won't need to pull the power tubes) if you use the stereo jack and follow the instructions on the Post-Alembic tap.

If you insist on using the RCA jack as it is, the tech will just need to disconnect it and then attach a wire from the board (per schematic) to the RCA jack. This will not short the power tubes though and you will need to pull them to order to save your output transformer.
mijknahs

Postby Jerry1996x » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:14 pm

Ya, I think I will just have the 1/4" added. It is just 1 jack right? O the site, he talks about a stereo plug and how u need a junction box and effects loop. Is this pertaining to what I want to do? uhg. More confusion hahaha.
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone