Delay ??

Delay ??

Postby gdrfk1990 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:41 am

Just looking for some thoughts about delay have been using less of it and liking that better just wondering when you guys use it what you use and when Jerry Used it and if it is worth getting the midiverb or miroverb etc ?? and when that is used and how ?? thanks for any help advice opinions etc...
gdrfk1990
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Re: Delay ??

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:03 am

I'm liking the MXR Carbon copy. I'm not certain right now when Jerry started using it, but just check out Waldos' site and follow the time line for Jerrys' rigs.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby myoung6923 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:11 am

I use the Boss DD20 and love it. You can set 5 presets and punch between them. You can also do tap tempo and manual adjustments. It's really perfect. I use one very light setting for rhythm and progressively spicier settings for solos or really spacey stuff.

Love it!
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:04 pm

If you're wanting a good analog delay that is similar to the old MXR that Jerry used, then I agree, the new MXR Carbon Copy is a nice unit. Remember that Jerry had an Ernie Ball volume pedal (or 2) connected to that delay pedal so he could dial in the appropriate delay time and delay volume.

Maybe consider the very cool and VERY analog Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy. It has a tap tempo button but the delay is all analog, kind of dark and lo-fi echoes like Jerry's. Simply tap out the delay times with your foot to the tempo or to whatever you feel the song wants. Even has a musical time denominator button so you can tap quarter notes but it'll play triplets, like a cool Sugaree delay setting.

Also, for a killer delay that can get tones like Jerry's old delay but with all kinds of tweakability, an analog dry path, and the analog sound, the Strymon Brigadier is really, really hard to beat. Killer delay.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby waldo041 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:44 pm

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:If you're wanting a good analog delay that is similar to the old MXR that Jerry used, then I agree, the new MXR Carbon Copy is a nice unit. Remember that Jerry had an Ernie Ball volume pedal (or 2) connected to that delay pedal so he could dial in the appropriate delay time and delay volume.

just wanted to point out that jerry actually did not have the ernie ball remoted pedals with the mxr analog delay. they do not enter the picture until he starts using the ada 2fx rackmount delay unit. :smile:

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:18 pm

Aha, thanks for that clarification/correction. When did the ADA come into play? Also, did the ADA have a full-fidelity echo or was there a way to darken or mellow the repeats to have a more analog character?

B
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby waldo041 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:51 am

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:Aha, thanks for that clarification/correction. When did the ADA come into play? Also, did the ADA have a full-fidelity echo or was there a way to darken or mellow the repeats to have a more analog character?

B

at the end of 1984, with no ernie ball pedals. those appear in 1985.

here is some info on the 2fx.

http://www.adadepot.com/adagear/gearpag ... A-2FX.htm#

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:40 am

waldo041 wrote:
SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:If you're wanting a good analog delay that is similar to the old MXR that Jerry used, then I agree, the new MXR Carbon Copy is a nice unit. Remember that Jerry had an Ernie Ball volume pedal (or 2) connected to that delay pedal so he could dial in the appropriate delay time and delay volume.

just wanted to point out that jerry actually did not have the ernie ball remoted pedals with the mxr analog delay. they do not enter the picture until he starts using the ada 2fx rackmount delay unit. :smile:

peace,
waldo

Yea Brad, I bend down or squat and make adjustments when neccessary. I only have to do it once in a while, thank goodness! Can be akward, but is fine for now.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:23 pm

Of course there's always the Kick Disk:

http://kickdisk.com/

B
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby jeager » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:18 pm

I just started messing with a TC electronics flashback. Yea its digital but it has pretty cool settings and rather than tap tempo you hold your foot on the switch and strum the tempo you want which kinda sold me on it. It can do looping as well, actually there is so much in there that I have not the time to explore.

Finding the right kind of delay for Jerry stuff is pretty elusive for me. I'm thinking like Stop That Train and other songs on that Jerry Band album from around 1990 or other recordings mid to late 80s... How many repeats? how much time how loud? He seems to have gotten it just right anyway...
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby jeager » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:35 pm

Ok, just tied the analog and tape settings on the flashback. I think I kind of get it now? With the high freq. kind of falling away, little darker in the repeat its nice. The tape setting adds just a touch of wow/flutter which is pretty cool too.
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby cmc64 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:26 pm

Hey all - new to the board - been lurking for some time and decided it was time to join up - so hello all!

Anyway, I picked up the T.C. Electronics Flashback Delay about a week ago and I think it is the most versatile delay pedal I have ever used. It is dead silent and although it is a digital pedal the signal path is an analog dry-through design - so it really has an analog sound. I almost bought the MXR Carbon Copy but after using the Flashback I was hooked. It has so many different types of delay settings I haven't even scratched the surface yet. So far for my base tone I have been using the Analog Setting with the FX Level Knob at 9:00, Delay at 11:00 and Feedback at 11:00. As jeager mentioned you can strum your guitar to set the tempo and it has this neat little switch that can set the repeats to 8th or 16th notes. All around great pedal. However, if you do pick one up, be sure to buy the power supply as it is required for firmware updates and the little sucker eats 9 Volt Alkalines in about 5 hours.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Return to Jerry Tone