EQ pedal recommendation?

EQ pedal recommendation?

Postby Boston_Patriot » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:39 am

Hi,
Can someone recommend a good EQ pedal to help me dial in Bobby's tone?

Also, where should the placement be (pre-distortion, post, before amp, effects loop?)

Suggestions?
Boston_Patriot
tiger
tiger

Re: EQ pedal recommendation?

Postby Deadhead85 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:53 pm

I have a Boss GE-7 Graphic EQ, that works pretty well....though I don't use it all the time. As far as settings, it all depends on your rig, just experiment and have fun! I have mine on my pedalboard (before amp), almost last...however, mines before my delays, volume pedal. I think it sounds great. I'm also currently having an external parametric EQ pedal built, much like MK's (see thread). I had a reproduction EQ board made of Bobby's cowboy EQ.
Deadhead85
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby playingdead » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:48 am

I'd put it either at the start of the chain or just before the amp, as you want to shape your overall sound. I'd probably avoid putting it in the amp's effects loop as they tend to be a little noisy, especially if you're boosting treble. The stompbox variety probably won't be happy with line level signals.

You're in Boston? I have a Boss GE-7 in the box that you can pick up for $70 if you like. Works fine. It's what Garcia used.

playingdead

Postby strumminsix » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:48 pm

Boston_Patriot wrote:Hi,
Can someone recommend a good EQ pedal to help me dial in Bobby's tone?

Also, where should the placement be (pre-distortion, post, before amp, effects loop?)

Suggestions?

Bobby's tone is more in his attack than EQ and in choices of amps. I'm sure an EQ could help. I'd go for a 10 band eq and slowly dial out the bass.
strumminsix

Return to Bobby Tone