Moriarty Tiger

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Moriarty Tiger

Postby deepelem » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:15 am

TI4-1009 wrote:
Mandoborg wrote:These are the threads i always think about when Lieber comes sniffing around here with all his Doug Irwin BS. Granted this is a copy IRWINS design, but why would you even consider a guitar from someone who hasn't made a guitar in ages, probably take ages to get it, if at all, and you have to go through somebody else to talk to the guy your handing over your $$$$$$$ too ?? There are so many GREAT guitar builders today it's almost laughable what has become of the whole Lieber/Irwin thing. This work is top notch and a fair price for sure. Even the Phigas have come a LONG way. So when folks come on here and say that they might be able to get you a guitar by such and such on the thrid moon of the 14 month of the appocolypse after traveling the seven seas to find the maker......... look elsewhere.

This is not intended to be a dig at Lieber or Irwin, just a reality check, not only have builders closed in, they've surpassed.

With all due respect, I don't think statements like this are in the best interests of the board. I understand they reflect the opinions of the poster, and "it's a free country", but I think the Moderators should bend over backwards in the direction of not driving away some of the most significant visitors that we get here. Does Rick Turner ring a bell?? Comeon guys, use your heads! Count to 100, re-read your post a third time before hitting "submit".

Beautiful guitar Waldo!

Indeed all are entitled to their opinion but I would just like to put my personal experience in here. I do not know the circumstances surrounding Mr Irwin but I do know that very recently I have been in lengthy correspondance with Thomas Lieber about a guitar project. He was unfailingly courteous and produced some very firm qoutes and a timeline for when the guitar would be built. He presented options and ideas and was always available to talk with on the phone. I found him very pleasant to deal with.

And yes that is indeed a beautiful guitar Waldo ... one of these days maybe ,,,, :-)
deepelem
bruce
bruce

Postby KCJones » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:19 am

strumminsix wrote:Looks nice but are your high strings at an odd angle at the bridge?

Beautiful guitar. But something is definately awry with the tail piece. It seems much larger, wider, and spaced differently than the original. I'd be concerned with the outer strings pull with the strings being so out of allignment with the saddles. May or may not be an issue.
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:15 am

Hey Mike- could you pop the hoods and show us some of the guts?

By the way, which buffer did you finally go with? :-)
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Pete B. » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:42 am

KCJones wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Looks nice but are your high strings at an odd angle at the bridge?

Beautiful guitar. But something is definately awry with the tail piece. It seems much larger, wider, and spaced differently than the original. I'd be concerned with the outer strings pull with the strings being so out of allignment with the saddles. May or may not be an issue.

That looks like something that could be fixed.
Pete B.

Postby KCJones » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:15 am

Pete B. wrote:
KCJones wrote:

That looks like something that could be fixed.

The only fix, if one was even needed, would be a new properly sized/spaced Tailpiece; there's no adjusting the current one.
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Postby waldo041 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:36 am

the observations of the tailpiece is/was already known. it does not hinder the playability of the guitar whatsoever and does not break strings. however, there is only one fix, if and when that may happen, is to replace it as noted. the great thing about this is that it is a replaceable part.

thanks for all the comments, the guitar is an absolute answer to prayers and a dream to play and own. it did come to me secondhand, and is actually Matt's 2nd tiger ever built, the first being a non sold prototype. if you guys dig this one, know that they only get BETTER after this one if that is even possible!

i'll see what i can do about gut shots!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby strumminsix » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:27 pm

Complaint #2. You haven't invited me down to play with you! I'd bring my Modulus!
strumminsix

Postby Pete B. » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:04 pm

waldo041 wrote:...i'll see what i can do about gut shots!

Gotta link to a sound byte?
Pete B.

Postby waldo041 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:27 pm

Pete B. wrote:Gotta link to a sound byte?

not yet....

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby playingdead » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:43 pm

Too cool, Mike!

I have a line on one of Matt's lefty Wolfs (Wolves?) if any southpaws with deep pockets out there are tempted. Send a PM.
playingdead

Postby Grant » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:30 pm

waldo041 wrote:the observations of the tailpiece is/was already known. it does not hinder the playability of the guitar whatsoever and does not break strings. however, there is only one fix, if and when that may happen, is to replace it as noted. the great thing about this is that it is a replaceable part.

thanks for all the comments, the guitar is an absolute answer to prayers and a dream to play and own. it did come to me secondhand, and is actually Matt's 2nd tiger ever built, the first being a non sold prototype. if you guys dig this one, know that they only get BETTER after this one if that is even possible!

i'll see what i can do about gut shots!

peace,
waldo

ahah - i thought that brass had either been 'aged' or the guitar was second hand.
Grant
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby mijknahs » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:01 pm

The string angles at the tailpiece probably have no more effect than the angles from the nut to the tuning pegs (which some are much more angled). Which is to say "not much" if anything.

I still can't belive how good that guitar looks...
mijknahs

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:52 am

"It is the mass of the guitar which determines, in most respects, its acoustic signature, or resonant characteristics. Any sound we hear can often be identified by its resonant decay pattern. On an oscilloscope we see this as a frequency height attained and characterized by the duration and mode in which the sound decays. In addition to the guitar's mass, other dominant factors that affect its sound are the scale length, the total string length, the angle of the strings as they cross over the string nut and the bridge, or the "speaking string"."

- Doug Irwin
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Jon S. » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:09 am

Beautiful guitar!
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:30 am

TI4-1009 wrote:"It is the mass of the guitar which determines, in most respects, its acoustic signature, or resonant characteristics. Any sound we hear can often be identified by its resonant decay pattern. On an oscilloscope we see this as a frequency height attained and characterized by the duration and mode in which the sound decays. In addition to the guitar's mass, other dominant factors that affect its sound are the scale length, the total string length, the angle of the strings as they cross over the string nut and the bridge, or the "speaking string"."

- Doug Irwin

I KNEW I brought an oscilloscope to gigs for a reason! :lol:
Rusty the Scoob

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion