I hear this can do the Mutron thing very well...

I hear this can do the Mutron thing very well...

Postby caspersvapors » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:38 pm

caspersvapors

Re: I hear this can do the Mutron thing very well...

Postby Tony6Strings » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:50 am

Never played through one of those. However, I know firsthand that the ElectroHarmonics Qtron is a really close match. Cool envelope filters, these are. From what I understand it's basically a reproduction of the Mutron.
"Why do the best things always disappear, like Ophelia?"
Tony6Strings
Brent
Brent

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:19 am

I've tried both the qtron and the Protron. Personally I like the Protron better. There is a whole thread discussing the Protron.

viewtopic.php?f=419&t=10042&hilit=proton :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby jkstraw » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:27 am

+1 I have the protron and it is great.
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby redeyedjim » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:55 am

+2 on the Proton -- great little box. I purchased one based on recommendations made made on this board and I've been pretty happy with it.
Dilettante - sounds nicer than "hack"
redeyedjim
Mickey
Mickey

Postby FretfulDave » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:14 am

Been thinking about this pedal but had forgotten the name of it. I am also interested in adding to the effect mix in my rig. However, I just went to the web site and it says "Out of Stock - check with my dealers". Not many dealers. Anyone know what is up? Is it still sold? Or just passing piece of gear? I will probably check with the NJ dealer but curious as to any info others might have about the viability of the pedal.

Thanks,

Dave
The river keeps a talkin'
FretfulDave
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:26 am

some on the 'bay , Fretful Dave
Tennessee Jedi

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:28 pm

the Qtron sounds awfully close when it's set right, but even on "fast" it always seems a little slow compared to the Mutron.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Tony6Strings » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:57 pm

Hey, speaking of envelope filters... On the Bob Marley & Wailers song "Stir It Up" do they use a Mutron or some other envelope filter on the guitar solo, or are they using an actual wah pedal?
"Why do the best things always disappear, like Ophelia?"
Tony6Strings
Brent
Brent

Postby waldo041 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:11 pm

This is the version Mike Biegel helped design. it is the closest to the original Mutron III circuit. the input preamp and power section are the difference between it and the original. in my talks with Mr. Biegel he stated the input was altered to accomodate more variety of instruments. and obviously the power supply was altered to be more user friendly. but the actual envelope portion of the circuit is pretty spot on to the original mu3 minus some component material swaps. getting a good one of these can do both the shakedown and dancin in the street tones very well.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:11 am

FretfulDave wrote:Been thinking about this pedal but had forgotten the name of it. I am also interested in adding to the effect mix in my rig. However, I just went to the web site and it says "Out of Stock - check with my dealers". Not many dealers. Anyone know what is up? Is it still sold? Or just passing piece of gear? I will probably check with the NJ dealer but curious as to any info others might have about the viability of the pedal.

Thanks,

Dave

The guy at 3leaf audio (I can't remember his name) is a really nice guy, so just email him (from the web site) and he will get back to you. It's just him making them, so he is probably back ordered a little.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:28 am

waldo041 wrote:Image

This is the version Mike Biegel helped design. it is the closest to the original Mutron III circuit. the input preamp and power section are the difference between it and the original. in my talks with Mr. Biegel he stated the input was altered to accomodate more variety of instruments. and obviously the power supply was altered to be more user friendly. but the actual envelope portion of the circuit is pretty spot on to the original mu3 minus some component material swaps. getting a good one of these can do both the shakedown and dancin in the street tones very well.

peace,
waldo

Hey Waldo
What about the Micro/Mini versions of the Q ?
Same ? Similar ? Mr Beigel offer a opinion ?
I like mine pretty nice but it gets picky sometimes.
Prob just gonna upgrade to the big unit eventually or hopefully find a Mutron to call my own
Thanks
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby zambiland » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:18 pm

The Proton is a much newer box than the Electro-Harmonix designs. While it's cool and all that Mike got involved with E-H, that doesn't really mean anything in terms of the Proton. Of course he's going to say that the Q-tron is the best, but times have changed. A lot of technology has hit the street since the Q-tron came out. I have Spencer's Groove Regulator 2, and it's a great pedal. I gather it's based on the Lovetone Meatball, but I haven't used one of those. Having attack and release options is very cool.

I think it's really worth it to check out these things for yourself. I'm not saying the Proton is going to be the best, but things like envelope filters are so dependent on the rest of the system that relying on the word of people who have an interest in the product, or anyone at all, including me, might result in missing something that would work better in a particular rig.

The one that I have that I like the best purely for sound is a Univox Funky Filter that was a reverse engineer from the original Mutron III that was licensed. However, it's got the same gain staging issues that the Mutron has, so the Groove Regulator gets more use. OTOH, the E-H BassBalls is pretty amazing, especially on fretless bass. It does an awesome gurgly slower filter sound.

Of course, I should also say that I have nothing but respect for Mike Beigel's work. He's one of the great ones.
zambiland

Postby BJolley » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:43 pm

I have had the Micro Qtron for about a month and love it. To my ear it sounds very Jerry -- even running through an basic Fender Frontman 15R practice amp. The micro version is very adjustable tone-wise and I'm not sure what more I might need from the full version (though the sweep direction switch might be nice to get that Dancin' "haw" effect). Admittedly, the only other envelope filter I had used was a very unsatisfactory auto-wah function on a 15 year old Zoom multi-effects pedal, but I think this thing is a steal at ~$90.
BJolley
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:53 am

This one does a very good and convincing "UP" sound. Also a Biegel design. Pretty close in sound and fewer features than the full sized Qtron.

... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Return to Jerry Tone