Anybody seen these?

Re: Anybody seen these?

Postby mijknahs » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:11 pm

tcsned wrote:I totally agree with the assessment of the tone from the neck wood. I have a '78 LP Standard that has a maple neck and it is much brighter than any other LP I've ever played. It made a great GD guitar and kind toed the line between the late 60s/early 70s sound and a more modern one. Fred, maybe you should consider a maple neck, I can't imagine that it would alter building cost substantially. My .02$

The cool thing is that they all have maple necks already. Sounds like a good backup guitar for the price. You get a maple neck, 25.5" scale, and the electronics layout. You could always swap the pickups (or at least the middle one).
mijknahs

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:20 pm

freddyrose76 wrote: I'm hoping that mahogany will bring out more of a warm 70s Jerry tone while swamp ash would have more of a bright 80s Jerry tone. Compared to the Irwin guitars, the Cripe guitars sounded especially bright and crisp.

it was not the cripe guitar, but rather the rig. also, jerry only used one cripe live.

here is bolt with Jerry using budman and E120's. no where near as bright and crispy as in the GD when he went direct to the board.

and, imho, the wood does make a difference to some degree for sure. mahogany as you stated will make for a darker tone.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby strumminsix » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:30 pm

freddyrose76 wrote:Hey, I'm Fred of PhredInstruments.com. I haven't determined the price yet, but I can tell you that I will be offering two version of the Jerry Guitar. One version will be basic, no OBEL, stock pickups, and dual mono output jacks. I will offer a fully upgraded version with upgraded pups, hardware and the OBEL. I'll be manufacturing my own preamp inspired by the CAE Sound and Waldo one. It's a pretty sweet looking guitar and plays well, too.

Why would you deliver a guitar 2 mono output jacks? Not being a spazz or anything but wouldn't it be better to knock $20 off the price and save yourself some time?
strumminsix

Postby Adam Deckard » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Hey sorry for being off topic here, but where is jerry's pick in waldo's deal video? He's picking in the beginning then using a pick during the lead.. what's he doing with the pick when he's not using it? Its pretty wild you can see he just kind of produces a pick all of a sudden. magic trick at 1:15 in the vid
Adam Deckard
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby rugger » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:02 pm

Adam Deckard wrote:Hey sorry for being off topic here, but where is jerry's pick in waldo's deal video? He's picking in the beginning then using a pick during the lead.. what's he doing with the pick when he's not using it? Its pretty wild you can see he just kind of produces a pick all of a sudden. magic trick at 1:15 in the vid

He palms it. I forget the exact technique, but he "hides" it somewhere between his fingers.

John in San Diego
rugger
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby mijknahs » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:05 pm

"Magic trick" is a good analogy. Slight of hand...
mijknahs

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:53 pm

Adam Deckard wrote:Hey sorry for being off topic here, but where is jerry's pick in waldo's deal video? He's picking in the beginning then using a pick during the lead.. what's he doing with the pick when he's not using it? Its pretty wild you can see he just kind of produces a pick all of a sudden. magic trick at 1:15 in the vid

he does this way more often then most know. for instance who would have thought that only the chorus of ramble on rose is finger picked while the rest of the song is flat picked. i learned/adapted the technique or "magic trick" from jim shank in this thread. imo, in truly studying jerry's approach, this technique cannot be overlooked.

viewtopic.php?f=346&t=7293&hilit=+claw+technique

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:34 pm

I remember an interview where Jerry said his stump came in handy for palming (stumping? :shock: ) the pick.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby freddyrose76 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:38 pm

mijknahs wrote:
tcsned wrote:I totally agree with the assessment of the tone from the neck wood. I have a '78 LP Standard that has a maple neck and it is much brighter than any other LP I've ever played. It made a great GD guitar and kind toed the line between the late 60s/early 70s sound and a more modern one. Fred, maybe you should consider a maple neck, I can't imagine that it would alter building cost substantially. My .02$

The cool thing is that they all have maple necks already. Sounds like a good backup guitar for the price. You get a maple neck, 25.5" scale, and the electronics layout. You could always swap the pickups (or at least the middle one).

I think the mahogany body will come with a mahogany neck. At least the prototype I have is mahogany/mahogany/ebony. I think the swamp ash body version will come with a maple neck/ebony fretboard. Also, I'm probably going to change the dual mono jacks to one stereo, one mono jack. But for someone to do all the upgrades to the OBEL, might as well replace them with switchcraft jacks.

Hey Jim, I'm looking for someone in L.A. area to demo this guitar on video...interested?
freddyrose76
tiger
tiger

Postby mijknahs » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:57 pm

freddyrose76 wrote:Hey Jim, I'm looking for someone in L.A. area to demo this guitar on video...interested?

Sure, I'll play it. I'd love to try out the maple/swamp ash version once you get one too.
mijknahs

Postby paulinnc » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:15 pm

http://www.phredinstruments.com/liger.php#

Here is some info on the Liger.
paulinnc

Postby Jon S. » Tue May 01, 2012 5:30 am

FWIW, below is the neck on my own #1 J-caster. I was shooting for all of stiff/high quotient of elasticity, toneful, and beautiful. Did some research and chose a design of sapele-maple-padouk-maple-sapele neck with an ebony board. I love it, though I'll be the first to admit your results won't be all that much different, all in all, with a straight maple neck. An interesting observation is that sapele looks like mahogany but is actually, tone and characteristics-wise, closer along the scale of tonewoods to maple. So if you're specifically not looking for a maple neck, dig the look and feel of mahogany, and want something in-between the two, you could consider sapele.

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby freddyrose76 » Mon May 07, 2012 1:04 pm

BTW, Liger is now available.

:-)
freddyrose76
tiger
tiger

Postby misngfingr » Sun May 13, 2012 1:19 pm

So it's Made in China?... maybe it what I just bought from that Chinese website Tradetang.com
misngfingr
tiger
tiger

Postby freddyrose76 » Sun May 13, 2012 3:15 pm

misngfingr wrote:So it's Made in China?... maybe it what I just bought from that Chinese website Tradetang.com

Link please. :)
freddyrose76
tiger
tiger

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar Building and Mods