Adamas Picks available!!!

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Adamas Picks available!!!

Postby waldo041 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:59 am

i seen that, and also found out they were using my site as a reference! :-x so whomever it is, i believe they lurk here, know that i have now linked the dunlop webpage so they can find out for themselves how much a bag of 12 really is!

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby playingdead » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:55 pm

I have special lefty versions of these picks available on my website http://leftyguitarsonly.com ... for $4995 each.

I'll even throw in this beautiful new lefty Collings 000 guitar ... for free!

playingdead

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:07 pm

(now THERE'S a bassakward self-serving plug! :lol: ('bout time...)

I'll take one!
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Jon S. » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:49 pm

They say the converted are the worst proselytizers. Well, I'm back to say that I've fallen in love with my new Adamas picks. I love 'em. After using only them since I received mine, I tried at band practice last night to go back to my regular Pickboy Classics and found I really was not into them anymore. I also A-B'd - again at band volume - my V-picks with the Adamas picks. The V-picks are darn good but advantage to the Adamas'es!
Disclaimers: I'm happy to share whatever relevant gear knowledge or experience I have. Genuflection/payment/proof of worthiness neither sought nor accepted. I don't design, build, market, sell or endorse for pay any new music product or service. I occasionally sell personal used gear. I am an unpaid endorser of SoundScaper Productions and Godfrey Daniels Guitarworks.
Jon S.

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:36 am

I got some of the pics last week and am warming up to them .... took them to a jam and they sounded great I thought
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby ImJerryToo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Jon S. wrote:I just ordered 3 dozen. Though I'm not sure if I'll like 'em, ya gotta be prepared (plus they'll make nice little gifts to fellow Deadhead pickers)!

My strategy too!

But I have to say, my intial reaction is a little disappointment -- I expected something more, tonally. And in my hand they get slippery.

I'm gonna keep playing around with them, but given price and availabilty I suspect I'm going to stick with 1.5 or 2 mm Gator Grips.
ImJerryToo
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Mr.Burns » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:03 pm

I've never A/B'd them against the Adamas picks, but the Telefunken picks are outstanding, tonally and otherwise.
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby ImJerryToo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:22 pm

Mr.Burns wrote:I've never A/B'd them against the Adamas picks, but the Telefunken picks are outstanding, tonally and otherwise.

I'm gonna try em. Just ordered the variety bag of 6 for 15$ plus 3$ shipping. (3$ to ship 6 picks?!)
ImJerryToo
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:14 am

Mr.Burns wrote:I've never A/B'd them against the Adamas picks, but the Telefunken picks are outstanding, tonally and otherwise.

+1 The Telefunken picks are outstanding! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Jon S. » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:39 am

I'll have to A-B them against a Telefunken one day and hear for myself (BTW, if there's anyone with Telefunkens who's never tried the new issue Dunlop Adamas who wants to swap 1 each to try 'em, PM me).

I did A-B the Adamas with my even thicker V-picks. Comparing these two, the Adamas are much more traditional sounding. The V-picks, in contrast, really sound different (more harmonic content in the tone). Myself, I love the tone of the V-picks for many types of music but with my overall Dead rig, I'm loving the new Dunlop Adamas picks. Just my 2 cents!
Disclaimers: I'm happy to share whatever relevant gear knowledge or experience I have. Genuflection/payment/proof of worthiness neither sought nor accepted. I don't design, build, market, sell or endorse for pay any new music product or service. I occasionally sell personal used gear. I am an unpaid endorser of SoundScaper Productions and Godfrey Daniels Guitarworks.
Jon S.

Postby Ccoates455 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:16 am

I just found this thread and wanted to let everyone know that I have a supply of the original Adamas Picks. I bought all that Dunlop had when I was told the following by my Dunlop Rep.

I owned a music store in Indiana for several years and this is what I was told by my Dunlop Rep, maybe someone from Dunlop can confirm this: The graphite used for the original Adamas pick came from a small mine in Africa. Supposedly it was a unique blend of graphite that came from this mine. Several years ago the supply of this graphite was exhausted and was the reason for them stopping production. There was a small batch that they found after they stopped production. I bought all of both of these batches of picks and still have some of them left.

As far as the new ones vs old, maybe the new ones are a different blend to replicate the old blend? (Completely speculating here). I haven't seen or held any of the new batch so I have no way of comparing the two. I also have never seen nor held the Telefuken so no way of comparing them either.

Anyhow if anyone is interested in the original Adamas Picks I am willing to start parting with some of them. I would do $30 per bag of 6, limit of one bag per person. I would offer free shipping within the US. If I still have a decent supply after this first offering of one bag per person I may make another bag available for those interested. You can reach me at ccoates455 at gmail dot com.
Ccoates455
welcome
welcome

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion