Jerry Band Tone VS Grateful Dead Tone

Re: Jerry Band Tone VS Grateful Dead Tone

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:13 am

Being part of a group that's entirely democratic in the way the Dead were (not doing something unless everyone felt ok with it) can really clog things up, and it can be pretty stressful and heavy. With the JGB, it's Jerry's band. He's the leader (though not in an imposing way), and I get the feeling that that's the main reason for the different vibes we're describing between the groups.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:17 am

wolftigerrosebud wrote:Being part of a group that's entirely democratic in the way the Dead were (not doing something unless everyone felt ok with it) can really clog things up, and it can be pretty stressful and heavy. With the JGB, it's Jerry's band. He's the leader (though not in an imposing way), and I get the feeling that that's the main reason for the different vibes we're describing between the groups.

Phil has said the Dead originally governed by consensus. When they changed to a democracy he would get out-voted.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:00 pm

Interesting. Is that in his autobiography? I'd be curious to read about their decision-making process.

Edit: and I misused the word "democracy"; pardon me.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby deadagainband76 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:54 am

Back to the tone itself. I thing Jerry was very keen on how to break through the mix. With the Dead there was much more to Fight through in that mix. With JGB He had more room and sometimes played the guitar altogether differently than with the Dead. So again I think theres many factors at work here.
deadagainband76
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby mijknahs » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:08 am

I think he sounds pretty similar in the Dead as he did in JGB during the various eras.

The times he sounded the most "grungy" in JGB was when he sounded the most "grungy" in the GD (83-85). Same basic setup (except in 1980 when he was using the Boogie but still it sounded close to the GD 1980 sound with the series humbucker tone).
mijknahs

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone