What power amp to buy?

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: What power amp to buy?

Postby Counterstriker » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:22 pm

Awesome! thanks alot, i really like the tone, if the guy responds to me on craigslist with my offer (250) then i'll be getting the mosvalve, I have a gig next week and need a poweramp!
Counterstriker

Postby mijknahs » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:56 pm

I just played a gig last night and used the MosValve for the first time. It sounded pretty good. I'll post an audio clip when I get a chance.
mijknahs

Postby Counterstriker » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:51 pm

Nice! So the mosvalve guy told me for 350 it could be mine which was a ripoff.. a friend of a friend had crown power amp xls 802, and was trying to make some quick cash and sold it to me for $150 in a gator flight case! The gator case alone is worth more then that! The amp is worth 500 I believer.. All in all it sounds great with my blues master, infact I feel it's fatter sounding then the QSC GX3 was. But that may just be because the blues master was recapped and has fresh tubes.. PLENTY of power, 500 watts at 8 ohms I believe.

Looks like i'll be getting an SMS in the next month! Really excited for that, gonna put a EH booster in front of it to get that clipped tube stage tone, similar to the Bluesmaster sound.

I would have gone with the MosValve after you guys told me how reliable and good they are, but the price of the one i was trying to buy was pretty high.

Thanks guys!
Counterstriker

Postby Bear62 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:17 pm

Way to high! Glad you held your ground! I got mine on ebay for $147 w/ shipping.
Bear62
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby TRG » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:06 pm

tcsned wrote:Hey Striker, sorry I slacked but here's a short clip of the Mosvalve in action. Just a short take from a recent gig where there wasn't a lot else going on. The playing wasn't great . . .

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/tsnedike/mu ... s_clip.mp3

if you want something with the Mutron or distortion I can give you that too.

The signal path is custom guitar with Duncan Stag Mag pups --> MUIII (off) --> T-Rex Dr Swamp (off) --> SMS Classic Pre (kind of a 70s set up rather than 80s or 90s) --> Lexicon MPX G1 (delay) --> Mosvalve --> Fender TRRI speakers (amp is off)

Sounding good! Can I ask what you have the Mosvavle settings at? I have an SMS classic > Mosvalve, but am using the Mosvalve for the first time and not sure if I need to have the gain on the mosvalve at a certain minimum to get to that clipping zone.
TRG
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby tcsned » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:28 pm

TRG wrote:
tcsned wrote:Hey Striker, sorry I slacked but here's a short clip of the Mosvalve in action. Just a short take from a recent gig where there wasn't a lot else going on. The playing wasn't great . . .

The signal path is custom guitar with Duncan Stag Mag pups --> MUIII (off) --> T-Rex Dr Swamp (off) --> SMS Classic Pre (kind of a 70s set up rather than 80s or 90s) --> Lexicon MPX G1 (delay) --> Mosvalve --> Fender TRRI speakers (amp is off)

Sounding good! Can I ask what you have the Mosvavle settings at? I have an SMS classic > Mosvalve, but am using the Mosvalve for the first time and not sure if I need to have the gain on the mosvalve at a certain minimum to get to that clipping zone.

TRG - I have the gain somewhere between 5 and 7. I'm just using one side of the amp. The presence is about 5. My SMS Has the carbon film resistors So it's a little less clean the Metal film plate resistors. I haven't tried using both sides yet.
tcsned

Postby TRG » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:25 am

tcsned wrote:
TRG wrote:

TRG - I have the gain somewhere between 5 and 7. I'm just using one side of the amp. The presence is about 5. My SMS Has the carbon film resistors So it's a little less clean the Metal film plate resistors. I haven't tried using both sides yet.

Ahhh - the carbon film resistors must be the difference I'm hearing. I have the metal plate. Thanks!
TRG
Terrapin
Terrapin

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion