The D Irwin Guitar

Re: The D Irwin Guitar

Postby vwjodyme » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:18 pm

Will they be up on the Lieber site soon? Would love pics/more info :smile:
vwjodyme

Postby Thomas Lieber » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:25 am

NO, but we will probably have a link from the Lieber guitars site to the( newly being created ) Irwin guitar site.

And this is actually a fun project to see come to fruition for all of us. Our intent in not greed, quite the opposite. We are trying to create opportunity for those who desire our Jerry guitar designs. There are only a handful of individuals who can afford a custom build. When Doug and I created these guitars designs we had one intent, to see these designs infused within the general public's hand.

I will continue to personally build these designs for what I feel their intrinsic value is! This remains a great value for the collector.Yet is not helpful to the majority of us who's dreams are equal!

Neither Doug nor myself are financially rich individuals or will we ever be, we are just creative people doing our thing wanting to share our gifts with others!

Be well , bring peace and mindfulness into all of your days!
Thomas
Thomas Lieber
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:06 am

Thomas Lieber wrote:I will continue to personally build these designs for what I feel their intrinsic value is! This remains a great value for the collector.Yet is not helpful to the majority of us who's dreams are equal!

Neither Doug nor myself are financially rich individuals or will we ever be, we are just creative people doing our thing wanting to share our gifts with others!

Be well , bring peace and mindfulness into all of your days!
Thomas

Thomas, Thanks for thinking about "the majority of us"! We appreciate it a lot! :smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Jon S. » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:50 pm

Darn - lost my first post! Here's a second try ...

There are few guitarists, in the Dead community or elsewhere, who can afford $3K+ guitars. It sure would be nice to see someone take a stab at producing a Jerry-style axe in the price range of a PRS SE, Epiphone LP, or MIM Strat so the true majority, including youngsters, beginners, and poorer people, could own one, too. A Tiger-style axe for the 99%! This is obviously not Lieber's or Irwin's current plan nor am I suggesting it needs to be. I'm just asking if it's something they've considered or would consider and/or wishing someone would step up to the plate to do it. (Whoever does, I'll guarantee you one sale for a new Jerry guitar for my 14 year old. :smile: )
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby waldo041 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:47 pm

where is doug? and will HE be available for questions once HIS company is resurrected?

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby erock » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Jon S. wrote:Darn - lost my first post! Here's a second try ...

There are few guitarists, in the Dead community or elsewhere, who can afford $3K+ guitars. It sure would be nice to see someone take a stab at producing a Jerry-style axe in the price range of a PRS SE, Epiphone LP, or MIM Strat so the true majority, including youngsters, beginners, and poorer people, could own one, too. A Tiger-style axe for the 99%! This is obviously not Lieber's or Irwin's current plan nor am I suggesting it needs to be. I'm just asking if it's something they've considered or would consider and/or wishing someone would step up to the plate to do it. (Whoever does, I'll guarantee you one sale for a new Jerry guitar for my 14 year old. :smile: )

Interested in crowdsourcing this? I have a few ideas, and some manufacuring ideas.

Pm me
erock
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby Jon S. » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:17 am

"Crowdsourcing?" I'm already ahead - I've learned a new word. :smile: PM to come momentarily. (And if I have anything further on the topic to post, I'll start a new thread so as not to hijack the OP's thread which is addressed to building quality replicas rather than inexpensive entry-level axes.)
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Thomas Lieber » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:19 am

waldo041 wrote:where is doug? and will HE be available for questions once HIS company is resurrected?

peace,
waldo

Wow Waldo, you ask me to speak publically what you and I have personally discussed!

Doug is healthy and living his life privately! Come to the Dead Gear Expo in San Fran , Doug did mention he would like to attend next years show if held on the west coast! A few phone calls and I will also coral Larry Robinson, Frank Fuller, Michael Dolan, Steve Klein, and I believe Rick Turner would come up from Santa Cruz if invited. One stop shopping to acquiring answers to all of your questions!

And as far as price point on guitars, all are always considered and being considered, especially entry level instruments.
Thomas Lieber
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Jon S. » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:40 am

Thomas Lieber wrote:And as far as price point on guitars, all are always considered and being considered, especially entry level instruments.

Very cool to learn this.

The question I ask myself is what will happen when the generation that saw the Dead live personally - my generation, the one before it, and perhaps the one after it - are all in our graves? We like to believe the music itself will keep the torch alive (and I actually do believe that will be the case) but the reality is the steppingstones of history are littered with the carcasses of incredibly popular performers of their age whose legacy today is at best a small fringe following and whose followers in their heydey could not have imagined it coming to this.

One way to keep the legacy alive is to make the path of entry for youngsters easy and cheap - to make it attractive and possible for those in society with traditionally the least of means to step on the path. It is in that spirit that I think often about having an entry-level J-caster type axe available in today's market.

A quick analogue:

PRS Santana Signature Model - $3,322:

PRS SE (Student Edition) Santana - $694:

Jon S.

Postby Jerry1996x » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:02 pm

this is sweet. I cant wait to see some pics, or hear them. it will be interesting to see just how close they get for 3100-3800. Still out of my price range :D :D :D
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:37 am

I hate to say it, but my inclination, without having seen or played the new Irwin/Lieber offshore guitars (which very well could be awesome -- I have a Korean axe that is really, really great. Korean craftsmanship can be pretty darn good), would be to go with a similarly priced "budget" guitar from one of the luthiers who's building them by hand like Lieber or Moriarty. Think you can get one of them for like 4k, and it seems a little more reliable, if not as cosmetically appealing as the full blown deal with ornate fret inlays and fancy sandwiches and whatnot.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:19 am

Jon S. wrote:The question I ask myself is what will happen when the generation that saw the Dead live personally - my generation, the one before it, and perhaps the one after it - are all in our graves?

As a tangent to your main point: I personally never saw them live. Fennario gets questions all the time from kids wanting to know if they can come to shows if they aren't 21. I firmly believe that the music will live on!
Rusty the Scoob

Postby rugger » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:16 am

Jon S. wrote:Darn - lost my first post! Here's a second try ...

That is the sound of a hammer firmly striking the nail on the head.

And you are wrong Jon, imo this should be mssrs. Irwin and Leiber's plan--fill the void in the market.

John in San Diego
rugger
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:28 am

Rusty the Scoob wrote:
Jon S. wrote:The question I ask myself is what will happen when the generation that saw the Dead live personally - my generation, the one before it, and perhaps the one after it - are all in our graves?

As a tangent to your main point: I personally never saw them live. Fennario gets questions all the time from kids wanting to know if they can come to shows if they aren't 21. I firmly believe that the music will live on!

+1
The Dead is like Elvis - a cultural phenomenon that will live on forever
viewtopic.php?f=419&t=11564
The young guns are Keeping the Music alive ! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Tennessee Jedi

Postby gr8fl4295 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:41 pm

Now this is sounding right up my alley!
Keep us updated.
Once in a while you get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.
gr8fl4295
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone