Alligator custom

Re: Alligator custom

Postby unnbrokenchain » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:24 pm

Here it is... a 2000 American Deluxe Strat with custom shop 69s and the Alembic blaster :cool:

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:02 pm

Re: Alligator custom

Postby unnbrokenchain » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:25 pm

Image
Image
User avatar
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:02 pm

Re: Alligator custom

Postby Jon S. » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:39 pm

Shweet!! :cool:
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
User avatar
Jon S.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Alligator custom

Postby PaulJay » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:57 pm

Very Nice, I like it. And Your rig has a place for beer too. :drink:
User avatar
PaulJay
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: Alligator custom

Postby claytushaywood » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:30 pm

Man I wish I had that jack plate for my blaster... but considering $100 from alembic vs about $4 by myself I had to diy it. I cannot understand how people can justify charging over $50 for boosters and buffers. Especially when they dont even come with all the things that actually cost money in pedal building... like the enclosure, jacks, switches, the 3pdt footswitch, painting the enclosure...

eh... i totally would have bought alembic's blaster if I wasnt so broke!

If anyone can point me in the direction of someone who can make a jack similar to the one on unbrokenchain's newly pimped out axe let me know!

Unbrokenchain- I have a new guitar setup that's very similar to yours- D.Allen voodoo 69 pickups (his version of the fender 69's) on a strat with the blaster circuit i built. Isnt that an amazing 70's jerry setup? I plugged in the blaster i built on the breadboard to my pro reverb the other night and DAMN! the blaster with those bright 69 pickups is dead on europe 72! Such an awesome combo. anyways, I was wondering what is up with the nut on your strat pictured above?
User avatar
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:34 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Alligator custom

Postby milobender » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:18 pm

I can help you with the plate and the blaster if you want... :smile:
Brian
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:32 am
Location: SE Wyoming

Re: Alligator custom

Postby unnbrokenchain » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:01 pm

claytushaywood wrote:Man I wish I had that jack plate for my blaster... but considering $100 from alembic vs about $4 by myself I had to diy it. I cannot understand how people can justify charging over $50 for boosters and buffers. Especially when they dont even come with all the things that actually cost money in pedal building... like the enclosure, jacks, switches, the 3pdt footswitch, painting the enclosure...

eh... i totally would have bought alembic's blaster if I wasnt so broke!

If anyone can point me in the direction of someone who can make a jack similar to the one on unbrokenchain's newly pimped out axe let me know!

Unbrokenchain- I have a new guitar setup that's very similar to yours- D.Allen voodoo 69 pickups (his version of the fender 69's) on a strat with the blaster circuit i built. Isnt that an amazing 70's jerry setup? I plugged in the blaster i built on the breadboard to my pro reverb the other night and DAMN! the blaster with those bright 69 pickups is dead on europe 72! Such an awesome combo. anyways, I was wondering what is up with the nut on your strat pictured above?



Thanks and yes, the 69 pups are amazing!

It's called a LSR Roller nut

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... roller-nut
User avatar
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:02 pm

Re: Alligator custom

Postby claytushaywood » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:29 pm

milobender wrote:I can help you with the plate and the blaster if you want... :smile:
Brian


Yeh I could use some help with the plate. How could you help me with the blaster?
User avatar
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:34 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Alligator custom

Postby milobender » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:31 pm

Well, you indicated that you would get an Alembic Blaster if you could... I can make one cheaper than $100. Your estimate of $4 is a bit low however... that's less than the pot and the switch cost, without shipping... parts are closer to $15 - $20 with shipping, and it takes time to make. Paying for someone's time is only reasonable. If you can 'diy', more power to you, perhaps I misunderstood and you've already built one, and that's great... I don't know what your time is worth, (I average about $10/hr for the things I make) but I don't think feeling you are being ripped off because a builder wants to be paid for his/her time and experience is really fair.
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:32 am
Location: SE Wyoming

Re: Alligator custom

Postby Jerry1996x » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Sorry to get off topic here, but i have a quick question about filling the trem. Im in the process of making my own Alligator and want to do this, but I have heard about the problems with a tune-o-matic being higher than a normal strat bridge. What can be done exactly to fix this problem? Also.... could this be used to fill the trem cavity so i could put a tuneomatic and custom alligator bridge on? http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/brid ... rilogy.htm
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:08 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Alligator custom

Postby Mr.Burns » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:53 pm

In order to utilize an ABR-1 or any TOM bridge you would need to shim your neck cavity. Alligator also employs a tone wood "riser" beneath the tailpiece that meets the brass sustainer block. Keep in mind that this worked on Alligator because Jerry preferred a high action.

You may not prefer this setup, most people don't. There are only a few options for Fender style hardtail bridges, almost none of them were available in 1971. I read somewhere that Jerry was not quite happy with the end result once it was fitted with the Alembic bridge.

Lots of options out there, IMO a TOM type bridge = most customization, and I believe Alligator was set up this way in an attempt to make a "custom-fit" for Jerry. So, a "replica" Alligator may not suit every player.(the final Alligator didn't even suit Jerry)

No matter what your Alligator ends up looking like, you're the one that needs to play it, and the design should reflect that.
Image
User avatar
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:01 pm
Location: Far out, man.

Re: Alligator custom

Postby Jerry1996x » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:13 pm

Ok. I just found out that Warmoth makes all bodys with a TOM with an angled neck joint. One other thing, could the style tailpiece that was one the 71-72 fit in a Les Paul style tailpiece rout?
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:08 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Alligator custom

Postby claytushaywood » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:00 pm

milobender wrote:Well, you indicated that you would get an Alembic Blaster if you could... I can make one cheaper than $100. Your estimate of $4 is a bit low however... that's less than the pot and the switch cost, without shipping... parts are closer to $15 - $20 with shipping, and it takes time to make. Paying for someone's time is only reasonable. If you can 'diy', more power to you, perhaps I misunderstood and you've already built one, and that's great... I don't know what your time is worth, (I average about $10/hr for the things I make) but I don't think feeling you are being ripped off because a builder wants to be paid for his/her time and experience is really fair.


a pot is $1 and a switch is $1. 1/4 of a $2 perfboard, and a j201 is .25 cents. or are we talking amp tech parts costs here? But yeh I'd expect some cash for my work. Anyways, I was asking about a plate. That's what I'd like to purchase from you.
User avatar
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:34 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Alligator custom

Postby quaack3 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:35 am

milobender wrote:Well, you indicated that you would get an Alembic Blaster if you could... I can make one cheaper than $100. Your estimate of $4 is a bit low however... that's less than the pot and the switch cost, without shipping... parts are closer to $15 - $20 with shipping, and it takes time to make. Paying for someone's time is only reasonable. If you can 'diy', more power to you, perhaps I misunderstood and you've already built one, and that's great... I don't know what your time is worth, (I average about $10/hr for the things I make) but I don't think feeling you are being ripped off because a builder wants to be paid for his/her time and experience is really fair.



I would be interested in a blaster...PM me with some details...Thanks
User avatar
quaack3
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:00 am
Location: Lima,OH

Previous

Return to Guitar Building and Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests