What power amp to buy?

Chat about Equipment Info

What power amp to buy?

Postby Counterstriker » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:21 am

I'm between a QSC GX3 or a QSC RMX 1450, the RMX has MUCH more power, but when I was using a GX3 a while back with the blues master, even when cranked it wasn't as loud as it should be. This time around i'm using it with a Grooves tubes trio preamp.

Debating on which one to buy, i can get them for the same price too, any input?

thanks!
Counterstriker

Re: What power amp to buy?

Postby KCJones » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:01 pm

I would look at the Carvin line, like the DCM1000L.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/poweramps/
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Postby Counterstriker » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:52 pm

Out of my price range right now, It's between the two i listed thanks anyway man. hmm.. I want to get the RMX but i don't want to blow my one and only jbl..
Counterstriker

Postby mijknahs » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:16 pm

I just picked up a MosValve 962 power amp for $150 used and it sounds pretty good with my SMS Classic. I think it sounds better than my tube Carvin TS100 power amp. One channel has tons of power (says it's 70W per channel and that's plenty). It's one of the better "modern" power amps I've heard lately. I normally use old SS McInotosh power amps but this MosValve can definitely keep up.
mijknahs

Postby Counterstriker » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:39 pm

Nice, I've heard lots of good stuff about mosValve amps on the forum, I'm looking for an amp that will add no tonal change to the signal, I'm gonna get all my clipping from the preamp, I know it's not the "right" way to go to achieve the tone, but I really love the tone JK gets, it's a very fat sounding jerry tone, very creamy and smooth. Got the rack waiting to be loaded! might just go with the RMX.. TONS of power... just afraid i may blow the JBL but I don't really play that loud..

anyway I'll get a vid of the new rig up once all the pieces arrive!
Counterstriker

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:01 pm

Counterstriker wrote: I know it's not the "right" way to go to achieve the tone, but I really love the tone JK gets, it's a very fat sounding jerry tone, very creamy and smooth.

correction,

it's a very fat JOHN KADLECIK tone! Jerry's tone, imo, was much better when he was on his game.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Counterstriker » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:11 pm

:lol: Yes that's what I meant!

Something about this tone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL2_Mdc_NfI is my absolute favorite which for some reason I feel JK's (back in DSO) got the closest too, even though his tone was a little darker, it had a very close sound.. I read 89' was his fav year so it's my guess that's the tone he went after.

After coming back from DSO at the electric factory, i realized that in my opinion mattson is a better Jerry, but his tone isn't as close , he didn't have the really fat growl sound when he hit some of the low notes, I think it's how he EQ's the SMS, because i've heard some of the guys on here and play through the sms and the tone is AMAZINGLY spot on! but don't get me wrong, he's an amazing player!
Counterstriker

Postby mijknahs » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:37 pm

Well, you shouldn't blow the JBL with any power amp unless you play way too loud. I'd probably go for the one that has more power since the other one didn't seem loud enough for you. You can always TURN DOWN...
mijknahs

Postby tcsned » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:19 pm

I've been using the Mosvalve 962 with my SMS lately - first at a gig where I needed more volume control that the LOUD and LOUD AS HELL settings on the Boogie afforded. I've been using it ever since. The first solid state amp I've used since the early 80s. My guitar is has Duncans not DiMarzios and has a redwood top so it's never going to get the exact tone but it's close enough for me. The Mosvalve is cheap too, I think I paid something like $125 for mine. Next to cables, it's the cheapest piece of equipment I use.
tcsned

Postby Counterstriker » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:46 pm

How much does the mosvalve effect the tone? I'm trying to go for a really transparent poweramp, but at the price you are saying.. I'm thinking about it..
Counterstriker

Postby tcsned » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:26 pm

It's hard to say how much it colors the tone, I'd say a lot less than the Boogie. I don't think anything is going to be truly "transparent" it's a matter of color that you like vs don't like. It's not a Mac but I've been pretty impressed it's very musical and not at all harsh. If you want I can post a clip.
tcsned

Postby Counterstriker » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:34 pm

If it's not to much trouble that'd be great! I'm going for a slightly different tone then Jerry's, while jerry influenced though. I'm trying to get all the tone from the preamp and effects not the poweramp.
Counterstriker

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:40 pm

The mosvalve is very neutral, compared to guitar amps. Butler is into audiophile amps like Macs and such, I am sure he appreciates that tone, and knows how to make an amp sound best for its intentions. His guitar power amps are made to do exactly what you are speaking of doing, Preamping the "Tone" and amplifying from there. If you like "Warm" and "Growl" then I would totally be looking on ebay for one. They are made for guitar, so they are made to amplify within that sonic realm. That is something that is gonna work for you, not against you I think.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby mijknahs » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:46 pm

Counterstriker wrote:How much does the mosvalve effect the tone? I'm trying to go for a really transparent poweramp, but at the price you are saying.. I'm thinking about it..

I don't know how much it colors tone but I think it's a good amp for Jerry tone. So if it colors the tone, it colors it in the right way. I think everything in the signal path colors the tone in some way. Starting with the wood of the guitar and the kind of strings you have and then the pickups, etc...

The trick is the combination of things that work together to sound good.
mijknahs

Postby gratefulnuge » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:04 am

I used a GX3 for a while and was actually really happy with it. I used it because of how much easier it was to transport than a McIntosh, being rack mount and a fraction of the weight. I have to say that out of all the power amps I tried, I was definitely happiest with it. In the end, I did end up back with McIntosh just because for me there really is no comparison. Bottom line - as far as I'm concerned...without spending an arm and a leg, you'll love the GX3.

-Nuge
gratefulnuge
TC
TC

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion