Super II in bridge really needed? Is it ever used?

Re: Super II in bridge really needed? Is it ever used?

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:51 am

Pete B. wrote:
hippieguy1954 wrote:It's because a 500k pot covers the range of a 250k pot but 250k cannot cover 500k! :smile: :smile: :smile:

If this is true then why do both the Neck single coil, and the Bridge humbucker, both connect to a 250K/500K ganged pot?

Yes, I know what your asking and I know that in Tiger, the 250K section of the 250K/500K ganged pot is for the neck/single coil and the 500K section is for the bridge humbucker. With that said, many of us put a super2 in the neck and therefore a ganged 500K would be fine for neck and bridge split/single or humbucker mode. Idealy the 250/500 ganged would be more definitive when using a single coil in the neck (not a humbucker), but the 500K ganged works just fine for the bridge and neck when using super2's in both positions.
Other wise it would be a nightmare trying to have 2 tone controles for every super2!

Check out Rosebud wireing here: http://www.wald-electronics.com/rosebud.html
Notice the note in the wireing diagram that says both the neck and bridge share a 500K pot.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Pete B. » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:10 am

I still don't get it...
How come the Middle pickup does not have a 250K/500K ganged pot wired so when you go to Middle single coil, it's 250K, and Middle Humbucker, it's 500k?
Pete B.

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:48 am

Because Tiger had a single coil in the neck position. It (and only it) is wired to the 250K section of the 250/500 ganged pot.
Like I said, it would be a wireing nightmare to try and have a super2 wired so it goes to the 500K section (of a 250k/500k ganged pot) when not split and to the 250K section when split. It is trickey to get your head around, but look at the Rosebud or even Tigers wireing diagram and think about it.
hippieguy1954

Postby Jon S. » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:49 am

JonnyBoy wrote: With the super Distortion ... I didn't run a 5 way, I do off/on switches and get great quacks like Vic mentions with the bridge/neck too!

I have both of my J-casters wired for bridge + neck, also. Love that tone! On my original J-caster, I pull up the tone pot to get the bridge SD and neck S2 in parallel. On my second J-caster w/the Fralin Unbucker bridge and neck PUPs, I rewired my 5-way to substitute bridge + neck for position 4 (in place of middle + neck, which I found I never used).
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Pete B. » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:29 pm

I like the Super 2 in the Bridge position in the Tiger Modded MIM Strat I recently acquiered.
I like to give it the ol' right hand Karate' chop to the bridge position for any kind of chikin' pickin'.
There's alot of tonal options with the hb/split-coil and the volume/tone knob settings.
I like the middle/bridge position quackiness with the middle in split-coil and the bridge in humbucker.
I haven't noted it being too thin, myself. It needs to be thin to get the open low E and A strings to sound right when playing down around the first few frets, imho (I use it for Intro to Loser, Cold Rain and Snow, type of stuff). As you move to thinner strings I just roll the tone knob off to taste.
I would just like to hear the diff between single coil to 500K tone pot and single coil to 250K tone pot.
I'm thinking... like most of this stuff, you can get the same sound by simply changing an amp setting a little, but I would still like to hear it and decide for myself.
Pete B.

Postby drewfx » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:12 am

Pete B. wrote:I would just like to hear the diff between single coil to 500K tone pot and single coil to 250K tone pot.

A passive tone pot only uses two of the three lugs on the pot, so it acts as nothing more than a variable resistor. So if you just turn a 500K pot down to the point where it equals 250K, it's identical to a 250K set all the way up.
drewfx
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Pete B. » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:07 pm

drewfx wrote:
Pete B. wrote:I would just like to hear the diff between single coil to 500K tone pot and single coil to 250K tone pot.

A passive tone pot only uses two of the three lugs on the pot, so it acts as nothing more than a variable resistor. So if you just turn a 500K pot down to the point where it equals 250K, it's identical to a 250K set all the way up.

Oh.. I get it now. Boy what dumb fucker I must sound like! :oops: :oops:
So really the mismatch would be to run a humbugger to a 250k pot.
Now I wanna hear the neck SC with a 500K. :drink:
Pete B.

Postby waldo041 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:36 pm

playingdead wrote:Super 2 in the bridge split is way too thin sounding for me ...

raising the pickup as well as ensuring, when in single coil, that the coil closest to the neck is the coil being used will help with this. when the coil closest to the bridge is the single coil things will always be too thin.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby TRG » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:43 pm

So I had this exact same question in regard to going about the mod to get the middle pickup split. Does it matter which one is active when split...do I want to ensure that it's the one closest to neck, bridge...does it matter?
TRG
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:58 pm

I like them all, when split, so the coil closest to the neck is live. I can't remember for sure right now if that's how it is in the wiring diagram. Just go to Waldos' site and look at the diagram.
hippieguy1954

Postby Jon S. » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:07 pm

Is there anyone here besides me who has tried BOTH the S2 and Super Distortion in the *bridge* (only!) position but who went back to the S2? I don't believe many would once they've tried it.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby waldo041 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:28 am

i believe this guy has tried both and opted for the S2's.

TRG wrote:So I had this exact same question in regard to going about the mod to get the middle pickup split. Does it matter which one is active when split...do I want to ensure that it's the one closest to neck, bridge...does it matter?

closest to the neck. the dimarzio stamp should be upside down with the wires on the cavity side. physically orientating the pickups like this with the wiring schems will produce the neck side coils active. middle is not as noticeable as the bridge is when the bridge side coil is used.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby TRG » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:42 am

waldo041 wrote:closest to the neck. the dimarzio stamp should be upside down with the wires on the cavity side. physically orientating the pickups like this with the wiring schems will produce the neck side coils active. middle is not as noticeable as the bridge is when the bridge side coil is used.

peace,
waldo

Cool, thanks Waldo!
TRG
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Jon S. » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:23 am

waldo041 wrote:i believe this guy has tried both and opted for the S2's.

peace,
waldo

I'm looking for, but haven't found, reliable documentation of Garcia trying a SD 'bucker in the bridge slot. Anyone?

The name Super Distortion is a misnomer. The PUP is hot and thicker than a S2 but not at all distorted souding. I bought my first one in 1977 to replace the stock single coil bridge PUP in my '67 Hagstrom Viking I (which I still have and have since restored). Today, I don't care for the tone with both coils but split in the bridge position, it sounds great.
Jon S.

Postby waldo041 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Jon S. wrote:I'm looking for, but haven't found, reliable documentation of Garcia trying a SD 'bucker in the bridge slot. Anyone?

the super distortion is the exact same pickup as a dual sound and he did use the dual sound.

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuck ... distortion

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuck ... dual-sound

peace,
waldo
waldo041

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar Building and Mods