What kind of gear does everyone have?

Re: What kind of gear does everyone have?

Postby vwjodyme » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:52 pm

Just read this thread again and am sensing a theme:

I am happy with my rig > i just added this and now am happy > I got rid of those and now have these and have completely finished the search for the sound > i just scrapped that rig all together and am working on this:lol:

I think your GAS is contagious - i started here with an Sg and a marshall and was totally content (i thought). now i've added the carvin dc 145, a carvin head, a Gdec (now my livingroom amp) a bunch of jer type pedals, a homemade 1x12 cab with canabis rex (unfortunately i found out that i suck at making cabs [it's hard to make a straight line without a table saw :oops: ] so my stepfather is making me a really nice one--he is a really good woodworker and whittler) and activly search ebay everyday to find a k120 for the new cab or anything else GD gear related.

ps. i also have 2 acoustics - a little martin for travel and an epiphone with a sick carving in the head that my stepfather did.

pps. my gf said she wanted to learn guitar too so i got her a used ibanez acoustic that she started on but said it hurt her fingers so this past xmas i got her a used sage mexi strat and put the vine inlay stickers on -looks sweet! kind of have the homer buying marge a bowling ball thing going there :lol:
vwjodyme

Postby jester536 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:23 pm

No...you're not as bad as Homer...if Homer bought Marge a guitar he would have it strung for a righty...knowing all the time that Marge is a lefty. I hope you didn't do that!
If the thunder don't getcha then the lightning will!
http://www.reverbnation.com/unchartedwaters
jester536
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby JonnyBoy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:46 pm

http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby donkeypunch » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:15 am

I just nabbed a late 80's Epi Dot (Blonde) with a Trapazoid tailpeice and the stock hums swapped out for Classic 57's. Sounds amazing, can't wait to gig with it as my back up. I'll post some pics.
donkeypunch
TC
TC

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:58 am

waldo041 wrote:Here is my new garage sale Epiphone SG (Stu Garcia) Special i just recently finished. I found this at a garage sale this past summer for $25 and found out it was a player. So after much debate i finally went ahead and squeezed in a middle humbucker and jerrified the electronics of it. The electronics were also a squeeze and the only issue i ran into concerned the tone controls, so i opted for a global tone. All in All i am happy with the find, but now i am really happy overall with the end results. Very Stu Allen/JG for right around $250!

peace,
waldo

Nice work, Waldo! I had not seen this before! Very cool. Really nice wiring. I'm sure it sounds great too.

Maybe you can help me out. I'm using (well, trying to use) a 4 pole 5 position rotary selector switch with 3 super 2's, (just as a 5 position strat style selector).
I was looking at your very neat and professional wiring, but can't really see how the selector switch is wired. Is that a 2 or 4 pole?
I am trying to just use the back end (as appose to the knob end) of a 4 pole 5 position switch and wire it as you have discribed here:

viewtopic.php?f=419&t=9601

Think it will work? It looks to me like your diagram represents the back end of the 4 pole 5 way switch. Am I right?

I would use a lever switch, but this will fit and look much better on this particular guitar.

Anyway, here is what I'm doin (pretty typical).
Neck and bridge sharing one tone pot.
Middle having it's own tone pot.
One 25k volume pot.
Coil splits (neck and bridge sharing one DPDT on/on, middle with its own) buffer and obel.
I have everything involved with the electronics understood etc., just not totally sure about this rotary selector switch wiring.

Any advice is always greatly appreciated! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Oh yea, and how did you figure out that switch by your self????????????????? :hail: :hail: :hail:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby waldo041 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:28 pm

hippieguy1954 wrote:Think it will work? It looks to me like your diagram represents the back end of the 4 pole 5 way switch. Am I right?

Correct, it's a 4 pole 5 way switch and i am just using 2 poles on the same side. the link you posted has the layout for the 2 poles you want to use with the same type switch as mine. and since you are sharing a tone for the neck and bridge you would tie their tone control to one of their lugs, 1 or 5, and jumper to the other. you could also use a dual ganged 250k/250k or 500k/500k and have individual tone controls tied to each pickup lug 1 & 5. and lastly, tie the middle tone control to it's lugs(2-4).

HTH

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Thank you very much, Waldo, for the clarification. I really appreciate it! I didn't even know you could use one side as appose to one end. I have a decent amount of experience changing pickups and adding switches for phase/splitting/series/parallel etc., but not much with lever or rotary selector switches yet...IMO. Now that I'm gettin my head wraped around how it functions, there are a lot of posibilities with these, but for now I'm just using it for the basic 5 positions in my first tiger/bolt/Jerry-schecter creation lol. Anyhooooo, Just wanted to make sure I'm doin it right. The lugs on these rotary switches are soooooooooooo small, I don't want to have to solder and/or resolder any more than necessary (I need a third hand or an octapus).
I went ahead and wired it as per the diagram (you so graciously made and posted for everyone) and now that you have confirmed my question, all my work on the switch was worth it (I'll let ya know when I get the whole thing wired up and plug it in... but should be fine)! Can't thank ya enough, Waldo!
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby JamminJommy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:27 am

Current rig. Set up at "Studio C." (Picture of Jerry playing Pedal Steel is in the hallway!) We mic'd the Weber with a 421 and disconnected the speaker in the Boogie. I don't think I've used the BD-2 or the OCD in weeks. Gonna take em off tomorrow.

Peace,

Jommy
Strangers stopping strangers, just to shake their hand.

http://www.youtube.com/user/theuncommonsenseband
JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Re: HEY JACK STRAW!!!!

Postby Jack Straw » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:03 am

Laytonco wrote:Incredible Rig! Who do you play with?

really, really sorry this is so VERY late! I moved on to another computer, and quite honestly forgot about this board. Thanks very much for the kind words on my guitars/set up. I played in a band here in RI called Out of the Blue. We did very well for a few years, then kind of broke up, now we are trying to do it again. It's just so much harder now to get guys together, and find the time to do it. hopefully we'll be playing out again soon. we got together a few months back after not playing together for about 20 years. there's a couple of vids on youtube. look for out of the blue-me & my uncle user name is blackknife1. we would sound much better with a little practice, so take it with a grain of salt!

It would take a long time to compliment all the gorgeous instruments, and equipment you all have posted, but MY GOD! there are some killer guitars & set-ups here! we should all get together & have a convention!!!
Jack Straw
bruce
bruce

Re: HEY JACK STRAW!!!!

Postby jjbankhead » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:07 am

Jack Straw wrote:
Laytonco wrote:Incredible Rig! Who do you play with?

really, really sorry this is so VERY late! I moved on to another computer, and quite honestly forgot about this board. Thanks very much for the kind words on my guitars/set up. I played in a band here in RI called Out of the Blue. We did very well for a few years, then kind of broke up, now we are trying to do it again. It's just so much harder now to get guys together, and find the time to do it. hopefully we'll be playing out again soon. we got together a few months back after not playing together for about 20 years. there's a couple of vids on youtube. look for out of the blue-me & my uncle user name is blackknife1. we would sound much better with a little practice, so take it with a grain of salt!

It would take a long time to compliment all the gorgeous instruments, and equipment you all have posted, but MY GOD! there are some killer guitars & set-ups here! we should all get together & have a convention!!!

How far do you all plan to travel once you are at it again?

I recently moved here to Portland maine and havent seen any dead cover groups yet... I know DeadaheadNH is in the kittery/ portsmouth area.

Anyhow i have family within 30 min of providence maybe i can make it to a show sometime.
jjbankhead
Mickey
Mickey

Postby playingdead » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:57 am

vwjodyme wrote:Just read this thread again and am sensing a theme: I am happy with my rig > i just added this and now am happy > I got rid of those and now have these and have completely finished the search for the sound > i just scrapped that rig all together and am working on this

I am happy to say that since buying the AxeFX Ultra almost three years ago, I haven't bought or coveted a thing regarding amps, speakers, effects, etc. (Except for the new AxeFX II I just unboxed the other day.)

Guitars ... now, that's another story. I have 26 lefty guitars sitting here.

playingdead

Postby tapestry » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Here is my current rig:

1967 Twin Reverb (For Preamp) using waldos mods
Mcintosh 2100 (using left side only - sentry monitor still engaged)
2 x 12 HT style cab with jbl E-120s
Custom Rack with Phase 100, Qtron+, Boss Octive, Boss Turbo OD, Boss 7 band eq, Boss Delay with tap tempo, Ground Control loop and footboard, FXB-jr effects mixer, Roland GR-50 Rack Synth

Custom Warmoth Guitar body/neck combo - Dimarzio super II using waldos buffer and schematics.

tapestry
Bobby
Bobby

Postby Jerry1996x » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:20 pm

http://s1145.photobucket.com/albums/o51 ... 1592_n.jpg

Im really happy with my tone and rig. It all sounds kick ass.
-72 Twin with Blackface mod
-American Strat with TPC-1 and SDS-1s
-GCX+Ground Control
-Pedals are Mutron III+, MXR Phase 100, Whirlwind Gold Box, and my favorite dist. pedal, DOD Preamp Overdrive 250
-Hard Truckers JG-1 with Eminence Patriots
-Mcintosh 2120

funny how the rack/road case has made it into 2 posts 8) :smile:
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby SNWRS » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:13 pm

I have an Epiphone 1960 Les Paul Standard, an Ovation 1975/76 (not sure) 1117-2 "Legend" and a Vox Valvetronix 30W, hoping to get an Epiphone ES-345 for my birthday and a Twin Reverb for Christmas
SNWRS
tiger
tiger

Postby keirweir » Mon May 14, 2012 7:42 am

Here's my updated Rig

Resurrection Eagle
Shakedown modified Twin head
Soundscaper 2x12 loaded with Beyma Liberties

keirweir

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar