Electro Harmonix Qtron+

Chat about Equipment Info

Electro Harmonix Qtron+

Postby BlobWeird » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:30 am

Anyone else here try a qtron+ ever? I just bought one a couple days ago with the added response feature and true bypass. Man do I love that thing. I was gonna get the Mutron III from ebay but I just couldnt get myself to spend that kinda dough. Maybe I should have but this qtron is wonderful. Nothin like playin Shakedown St with some autowah.
BlobWeird

Qtron+

Postby Laytonco » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:45 am

I've had my Qtron+ for a couple of years now and love it too! You really have to play around with it as the settings are so sensitive. I used it on Saturday in Jamestown, CO during Shakedown (me on rhythm) and how good it sounded!!!
Laytonco

Postby waldo041 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:43 am

"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:55 am

The Q+ is the Q with an effect loop placed between the two stages of the effect. I've heard that it can make an octave effect can do intersting things, but that it doesn't really come in handy otherwise.

Does anyone who owns a Q+ use the FX loop? If so , what for? I would think a distortion would be at least interesting...

There are two completely different Mu-Tron III's: the original 1970's AWESOME ones, to which the EH Q-Tron comes very close... and the 90's-present HAZ Labs re-issue which uses a different circuit, indeed a different technology to try to achieve the desired effect. I've never even tried one, but everyone I've ever heard from who has has hated it.

The modern effects that come closest to the original Mu III are the EH Q-Tron and the very excellent EMMA DiscumBobulator, which is a little pricier but also easier to dial in and more compact.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby BlobWeird » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:52 am

Yeah the Qtron+ is a little bulky but Im not playin shows or anything so its alright for me. As for the FX loop I use reverb in the FX loop occasionally and it sounds pretty nice. I hear if you hook up another Qtron in the loop then put drive up on one and drive down on the other youll get a cool sound but of course who is willin to spend that kinda dough. Not me. But yeah it did take a minute to find my spot on that filter and to have that precise sound (or as close as I can get) to Jerry's sound. I got a question though. On my high E string it doesnt seem to open up too much with the wah unless I really pound that string. Now I use .008 guage strings. Could it be that I need some heavier string? Maybe some 10's? For some reason I just feel that its because of how thin the string is that it wont upen up. Yet the low E opens up if I barely even touch it. Also the heavier the string the more sustain right? Cause I dont have as much sustain on the high E and B string as id like to have. Thanks in advance fellas.
BlobWeird

Postby shakedown_04092 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:08 pm

tigerstrat wrote:The Q+ is the Q with an effect loop placed between the two stages of the effect. I've heard that it can make an octave effect can do intersting things, but that it doesn't really come in handy otherwise.

Does anyone who owns a Q+ use the FX loop? If so , what for? I would think a distortion would be at least interesting...

There are two completely different Mu-Tron III's: the original 1970's AWESOME ones, to which the EH Q-Tron comes very close... and the 90's-present HAZ Labs re-issue which uses a different circuit, indeed a different technology to try to achieve the desired effect. I've never even tried one, but everyone I've ever heard from who has has hated it.

The modern effects that come closest to the original Mu III are the EH Q-Tron and the very excellent EMMA DiscumBobulator, which is a little pricier but also easier to dial in and more compact.

I have a Mu-Tron III and am fairly happy with it, though from how you describe the Q-Tron, I'd love to try one out, but don't know where or how to. Does anyone know if Guitar Center carries them? They just put a GC up in South Portland, I could run over & check them out maybe.

But I've never tried a Q-Tron, so I can't say that I'd like it better than the Mu-Tron III. Hmmmm.

I bought the Mu-Tron III off reccomendations of other players who have them & liked them, and I have to say it did take some dialing in, but once I got it, it's given me the sound I am looking for.

The only complaint I have is I wish it had a volume knob on it, because when I turn it on & the rest of the band is wailing, it sometimes gets lost or mudded in the mix & isn't as clear or loud as I'd like it to be.

Any suggestions?

Plus, if anyone has played both the Mu-Tron II & the Q-Tron, I'd love to hear your opinions. Now that I'm writing this, I think this thread has been brought up somewhere else, though....
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:13 pm

BlobWeird wrote: I got a question though. On my high E string it doesnt seem to open up too much with the wah unless I really pound that string. Now I use .008 guage strings. Could it be that I need some heavier string? Maybe some 10's? For some reason I just feel that its because of how thin the string is that it wont upen up. Yet the low E opens up if I barely even touch it. Also the heavier the string the more sustain right? Cause I dont have as much sustain on the high E and B string as id like to have. Thanks in advance fellas.

You might want to check your high E's string height, or your pickup's height adjustment at the treble end, or if it is improperly aligned with the string over the pole (i.e. a Std-spaced Dimarzio in a "F" spaced guitar?)
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:17 pm

tigerstrat wrote:
BlobWeird wrote: I got a question though. On my high E string it doesnt seem to open up too much with the wah unless I really pound that string. Now I use .008 guage strings. Could it be that I need some heavier string? Maybe some 10's? For some reason I just feel that its because of how thin the string is that it wont upen up. Yet the low E opens up if I barely even touch it. Also the heavier the string the more sustain right? Cause I dont have as much sustain on the high E and B string as id like to have. Thanks in advance fellas.

You might want to check your high E's string height, or your pickup's height adjustment at the treble end, or if it is improperly aligned with the string over the pole (i.e. a Std-spaced Dimarzio in a "F" spaced guitar?)

yeah, what he said! :cool:

only thing i can add is to keep it first in the chain. it likes a good strong signal.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby JerJones » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:42 am

Does anyone know how the PODxt Auto Wah
compares to the Mutron, or the Q-tron?
Apparently the auto wah on the PODxt
is modeled after the
Mutron III.
Maybe another option?
JerJones
bruce
bruce

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:42 am

A problem of communication in this thread is when a reference is made to a "Mu-Tron III" but we don't know if you are talking about the original vintage M3 or the HAZ M3- two totally different animals.

Also, if you mistype and say Mu-Tron II, you are then talking about a Phasor effect.
tigerstrat

Postby BlobWeird » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:08 pm

Thanks for tryin Tigerstrat but unfortunately string height is fine and so is pickup height (as high as it can get to the string basically) and as for the pickups they line up perfect with my strings. Im gonna try puttin some 10s on there and if that doesnt work then I really dont know. I need to purchase a new amp as well. Hmm anyone know a good amp for dead sound priced around 300? I dont want any FX on the amp. Any ideas? I was thinking Marshall? But I really am not too sure about amps. Im always soo worried about my guitar I tend to forget that the amp plays a major role. So please help would be soo much appreciated.
BlobWeird

Postby jahozer » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:01 pm

For the money, (90 Bucks!)the mini-Qtron is awesome. Its kinda just set to the Jerry "boowow bwow boowow" sound. All the same opto-resisters of the other Q models and of course the musitronics Mutron, so it has all that greasy goodness.
It is less flexible than the full Qtron and the Qtron +, but I dont want to fiddle around with an already persnickity effect. I need to hit it with my foot and have "the" sound. I like the straight forward options, High, Mid, Low choices for band-pass, and a sensitivity and range (Q) knobs...set it and forget it.
THe other stuff I am sure is nice, but...
Its a tad smaller than its big brothers, but not by much.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:11 am

JerJones wrote:Does anyone know how the PODxt Auto Wah
compares to the Mutron, or the Q-tron?
Apparently the auto wah on the PODxt
is modeled after the
Mutron III.
Maybe another option?

The PODXT gets most everything it emulates to about 90-95% there in tone.
Now feel is another story. I don't feel the amps like I do real tube amps.

But stomps are another story. It makes a great multi-fx unit.

I have owned one for years quite happily!
strumminsix

pod xt qtron and boss envelope

Postby kenneybonz » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:55 pm

the pod xt gets it sort of right like strummin six put it..
but for feel, the mutron, or I bought the qtron..
and for god's sake don't mess with the boss unit.. unless you know someone who's head you wanna mess with
it seemed (imvho), the jer played a sweet spot that you can get on podxt and much better on the other real filters..
but now adays it seems like guys like kimrock and even kadlicek from dso play a much loser envelope .. more than just the sweet spot.. allowing them to reinterpret other material that either wasn't env. to begin with or wasn't dead repertoir like beatles stuff.. i have heard it in zero, trixsters, dso and others..
and i love it.. :D
Hipsters, Tripsters, real cool chicksters, Everyone's doin' that rag.
kenneybonz
Billy
Billy

Postby GratefulPat » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:24 pm

no man i just got a new gibson les paul with. 10s and it does the same thing. its normal i think
Comes a time, when the blind man takes your hand and says "dont you see?"
GratefulPat

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion