Adamas Picks available!!!

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Adamas Picks available!!!

Postby waldo041 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:59 am

i seen that, and also found out they were using my site as a reference! :-x so whomever it is, i believe they lurk here, know that i have now linked the dunlop webpage so they can find out for themselves how much a bag of 12 really is!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby playingdead » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:55 pm

I have special lefty versions of these picks available on my website http://leftyguitarsonly.com ... for $4995 each.

I'll even throw in this beautiful new lefty Collings 000 guitar ... for free!

playingdead

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:07 pm

(now THERE'S a bassakward self-serving plug! :lol: ('bout time...)

I'll take one!
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Jon S. » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:49 pm

They say the converted are the worst proselytizers. Well, I'm back to say that I've fallen in love with my new Adamas picks. I love 'em. After using only them since I received mine, I tried at band practice last night to go back to my regular Pickboy Classics and found I really was not into them anymore. I also A-B'd - again at band volume - my V-picks with the Adamas picks. The V-picks are darn good but advantage to the Adamas'es!
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:36 am

I got some of the pics last week and am warming up to them .... took them to a jam and they sounded great I thought
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby ImJerryToo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Jon S. wrote:I just ordered 3 dozen. Though I'm not sure if I'll like 'em, ya gotta be prepared (plus they'll make nice little gifts to fellow Deadhead pickers)!

My strategy too!

But I have to say, my intial reaction is a little disappointment -- I expected something more, tonally. And in my hand they get slippery.

I'm gonna keep playing around with them, but given price and availabilty I suspect I'm going to stick with 1.5 or 2 mm Gator Grips.
ImJerryToo
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Mr.Burns » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:03 pm

I've never A/B'd them against the Adamas picks, but the Telefunken picks are outstanding, tonally and otherwise.
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby ImJerryToo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:22 pm

Mr.Burns wrote:I've never A/B'd them against the Adamas picks, but the Telefunken picks are outstanding, tonally and otherwise.

I'm gonna try em. Just ordered the variety bag of 6 for 15$ plus 3$ shipping. (3$ to ship 6 picks?!)
ImJerryToo
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:14 am

Mr.Burns wrote:I've never A/B'd them against the Adamas picks, but the Telefunken picks are outstanding, tonally and otherwise.

+1 The Telefunken picks are outstanding! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Jon S. » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:39 am

I'll have to A-B them against a Telefunken one day and hear for myself (BTW, if there's anyone with Telefunkens who's never tried the new issue Dunlop Adamas who wants to swap 1 each to try 'em, PM me).

I did A-B the Adamas with my even thicker V-picks. Comparing these two, the Adamas are much more traditional sounding. The V-picks, in contrast, really sound different (more harmonic content in the tone). Myself, I love the tone of the V-picks for many types of music but with my overall Dead rig, I'm loving the new Dunlop Adamas picks. Just my 2 cents!
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Ccoates455 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:16 am

I just found this thread and wanted to let everyone know that I have a supply of the original Adamas Picks. I bought all that Dunlop had when I was told the following by my Dunlop Rep.

I owned a music store in Indiana for several years and this is what I was told by my Dunlop Rep, maybe someone from Dunlop can confirm this: The graphite used for the original Adamas pick came from a small mine in Africa. Supposedly it was a unique blend of graphite that came from this mine. Several years ago the supply of this graphite was exhausted and was the reason for them stopping production. There was a small batch that they found after they stopped production. I bought all of both of these batches of picks and still have some of them left.

As far as the new ones vs old, maybe the new ones are a different blend to replicate the old blend? (Completely speculating here). I haven't seen or held any of the new batch so I have no way of comparing the two. I also have never seen nor held the Telefuken so no way of comparing them either.

Anyhow if anyone is interested in the original Adamas Picks I am willing to start parting with some of them. I would do $30 per bag of 6, limit of one bag per person. I would offer free shipping within the US. If I still have a decent supply after this first offering of one bag per person I may make another bag available for those interested. You can reach me at ccoates455 at gmail dot com.
Ccoates455
welcome
welcome

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion