What do you think of this multi-track recorder?

Chat about Equipment Info

What do you think of this multi-track recorder?

Postby Emoto » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:07 am

http://www.gearwire.com/zoom-r24-portable-recorder-interface-controller.html

Zoom R24 Multitrack Recorder

These sell for right around $400, and allow for recording 8 tracks simultaneously. Does it seem like a worthwhile device? I would like to get back into recording and working on my own music some, and I could press the old Tascam reel to reel deck back into service, but it seems like digital would be a better choice.

What do you guys think? Any and all alternatives would be considered.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Re: What do you think of this multi-track recorder?

Postby playingdead » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:13 pm

Looks pretty cool, Bob ... I don't have much experience with Zoom equipment, though. I'd be inclined to skip using its little onboard memory card and just hook it straight up to a laptop or your computer, though. You can do far more with your material once you bring it into a mixing program like Logic (or even Garageband if you're using a Mac).

If you just want to experiment with recording before dropping some cash, drop me a line ... I have a little Tascam DP-01FX 8-track digital hard disk standalone recorder hanging around, you're welcome to borrow it for a couple weeks and see if you like it. If you're familiar with the old cassette PortaStudios, you'll be right at home with it, and it actually makes some really nice recordings for what it is. I'd sell it for $100, too, if anyone wants it.

playingdead

Postby Emoto » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:24 pm

Thanks,Vic. I have a Zoom H2 ( http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/pub/a/o ... tml?page=1 ) that I've used for live recording a bunch, and aside from an LCD screen that makes me reach for my cheaters, it has been really amazingly good, considering the price. So, I am fairly confident in the brand itself. It is not as robust as pro-level gear, but then it is a fraction of the price, so I don't mind that so much.

The attraction to this unit is because of it offering the ability to record 8 tracks simultaneously. The way I like to record is to get a bunch of folks together to play a tune, then go back in individually and work on replacement or additional tracks, or solos, vocals, extra percussion, etc.

I agree with you that manipulating the tracks post-recording is probably best done elsewhere, and that would be my plan. I am not a Mac guy, but I think one of my PCs will be suitable.

I do have an old Tascam Model 38 with outboard DBX units (like this: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/vi ... cam38.html) that is capable of making really excellent recordings, but I've gotten tired of dicking around with tape, so rather than re-connect and fire up the old workhorse, I wanted to stick my toe into digital multi-track recording.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby sants » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:50 pm

I have the r16 which is the older version. They are awesome!!! Probably the easiest and most cost effective way to record if you ask me! Very portable and setup is a breeze. You can record 8 tracks live or track individually. All tracks can be transferred into the computer for editing.

this is Jam that we recorded with the whole band at once in my basement. It's my old band and we were so so. All the songs up there were recorded with the zoom in some way or another. The ones that sound live were recorded with the built in condenser mics!

http://www.myspace.com/frannyswolf/musi ... m-64071553

if it doesn't come up it the song titles lee major space jam

Here is an old take from my latest band. These tracks need to be updated but you can get an Idea

http://www.reverbnation.com/jamtheheard

Click on Low head echo. This was recorded on the fly and not edited at all! Don't mind the music, it is all a work in progress. Everything on this site has been captured with the zoom! Some has been edited in the computer and may sound a little funny.

If you have any questions let me know!
Last edited by sants on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sants
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby sants » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:03 pm

playingdead wrote:Looks pretty cool, Bob ... I don't have much experience with Zoom equipment, though. I'd be inclined to skip using its little onboard memory card and just hook it straight up to a laptop or your computer, though. You can do far more with your material once you bring it into a mixing program like Logic (or even Garageband if you're using a Mac).

If you just want to experiment with recording before dropping some cash, drop me a line ... I have a little Tascam DP-01FX 8-track digital hard disk standalone recorder hanging around, you're welcome to borrow it for a couple weeks and see if you like it. If you're familiar with the old cassette PortaStudios, you'll be right at home with it, and it actually makes some really nice recordings for what it is. I'd sell it for $100, too, if anyone wants it.

That's the beauty of recording to SD card! You can take the tracks off the card and edit down in a program of your choice. You can also go straight to the computer as well! I have done both and found it easier to capture the tracks raw on the SD card and then mix down in logic and now pro tools. I couldn't tell a difference either way! I have a practice space and we can't take an Imac in there so using the card works best for us! It is also very portable. I have recorded friends bands and then later mixed down.

So either option is a very good one! I use mine at every practice. I just lest the condensers roll so if we come up with something good we remember it and track it later.
sants
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion