Ukulele Eyes

Ukulele Eyes

Postby Drunkgiraffe » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:40 pm

Hey guys,

This may sound kinda weird....but im trying to play Eyes on my Uke. I am playing the chords specified, but it just doesn't sound correct.

could it be that its just not on a guitar.

any pointers?

thanks.
Drunkgiraffe
welcome
welcome

Re: Ukulele Eyes

Postby astroman99 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:51 pm

How are you voicing the E maj7, I think you need the root on the bottom and the maj 7th higher in the voicing, but what do I know, also when you go th the A in the verse bounce on a sus 4th.
astroman99

Postby strumminsix » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:38 pm

astroman99 wrote:How are you voicing the E maj7, I think you need the root on the bottom and the maj 7th higher in the voicing, but what do I know, also when you go th the A in the verse bounce on a sus 4th.

You are onto something here with voicing. My ears hear that the 1, 5, mj7 are more dominant and the 3 is not.

For example when I play it off the 2nd fret it's good, 7th fret it's good. Open is okay, but the 4th fret is just odd sounding and so is the 9th fret.
strumminsix

Postby ndrewoods » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Drunkgiraffe wrote:Hey guys,

This may sound kinda weird....but im trying to play Eyes on my Uke. I am playing the chords specified, but it just doesn't sound correct.

could it be that its just not on a guitar.

any pointers?

thanks.

The chords for the guitar won't work or sound right in a uke. You need to transpose to the chords specifically for uke.
ndrewoods
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby adks12020 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:02 am

Actually this isn't a weird idea at all. I actually play Eyes on uke all the time and it sounds great. I learned to play it on the uke before the guitar because it was easier and I love the song. The key is to play up the neck a little. Stay away from open chords in first position except for the A chord after the Bm at the end of the verse and the chorus if you want but I think the G, C and D barres sound better than open there too. Anywhere you can use a barre use it. It sounds closer to the original that way because of the way the chords are voiced.

Almost every time I play it I screw it up the first time and have to shift a fret but if I'm not mistaken (it would help if I had the uke in my hand rather than being at work) I play the Emaj7 as a barre chord on the 5th fret (barre the 5th fret and fret the 7th fret of the A string) then play the A barre chord on the 4th fret. Shift down towards the end of the verse for a Bm barre on the second fret and then the open A chord.

This chart should help if you don't know the uke barre chords.... http://www.ezfolk.com/uke/Tutorials/1fo ... forms.html

Enjoy...Eyes is a perfect song for the uke once you get the voicings correct.
adks12020
rukind?
rukind?

Postby adks12020 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:11 am

ok, correction...as when I play it I reversed the chords in my head....Emaj7 on the 4th fret as well as the A.
adks12020
rukind?
rukind?

Postby adks12020 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:15 am

It also sounds better if you slide into the Emaj7. That may eliminate the odd sound you hear a little.
adks12020
rukind?
rukind?

Return to Eyes of the World