Almost everything you'd want to know about Jerry's Yairis!

Almost everything you'd want to know about Jerry's Yairis!

Postby BillyBrown1 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:05 am

Ok Fellers over the years Iv learned ALOT about Jerry's Alvarez Yairi guitars and I'v always been fascinated with them. Its undeniable they have a coolness factor of 10. 8) From the joint venture of two great guitar company's (Modulus Guitars San Rafael, CA) and (K. Yairi Guitars Gifu, Japan). To the fact that I'v never seen another graphite neck wood bodied acoustic guitar... So I figured i'd brew some coffee, spark a doob, and share it all here in one post. :-) Ok so lets start with Jerry's actual Alvarez Yairi guitars (the guitars custom built for Jerry). To my knowledge theres a total of four guitars. One custom DY99, two custom DY98s and one custom Gy2 all had modulus graphite necks. Those are the guitars that later became Jerry's signature model line of guitars the GY1 and GY2 (Jerry endorsed those guitars but never played them)...he played the customs...Only one of Jerry's actual guitars has surfaced. A 1991 custom DY98 Jerry gave to Ramrod that was auctioned off for 102k at Bonham and Butterfields in San Francisco(2006) when Ramrod died. http://www.bonhams.com/usa/auction/15537/lot/22/ Where the other three guitars are ? your guess is as good as mine...Ok now onto Jerry's custom DY99 and the other DY98 definitely the most played of Jerry's Yairis. Heres a promo photos from the 1992 Alvarez Yairi catalog Image
Notice how Jerry's custom guitars have neck and headstock binding :shock: I bring this up because one of the other DY99 owners I'v found(and iv only found two) claims he has Jerry's actual dy99...he does not. The good fellers at Modulus told me there were around 15 Modulus neck tree of life DY99s made in 1992 none have neck and headstock binding...Jerry's customs do except for the DY98 he played most with David Grisman now that guitar is easy to identify because it had the dark stained top and the dy88 style headstock with no tree of life inlay...In this video from Grateful Dawg you can clearly see both Jerry's custom D99 and his DY98 with the dy88 style headstock. Its two separate performances edited together http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4at-v1GGhI Also the scene in Grateful Dawg "In the Living Room" where Jerry and David are working out tunes hes playing the DY98 with dark top and dy88 style headstock.(the coolest guitar of all of em in my opinion) OK now on to Jerrys custom GY2 Iv only ever seen this one picture of Jerry with it and I dont know much more than that other than its the guitar that later became the Gy2 production model designed by Jerry heres the pic Image notice how the guitar Jerrys holding has the Modulus symbol on the headstock and the production guitar does not. Well fellers I hope you found this an interesting read and if anyone else has anymore information I'd love tp hear it :-)
BillyBrown1
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Re: Almost everything you'd want to know about Jerry's Yairi

Postby BillyBrown1 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:13 am

OH and heres a cool photo pf the dy98 with dark stained top and the dy88style headstock Image
and his other dy98 Image
Last edited by BillyBrown1 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
BillyBrown1
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:35 am

Hey man - thats a great read - I really dont know squat about Jerry's acoustic 's - thanks for the share
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby mgbills » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:02 am

Yea! Nice job.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby PaulJay » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:42 am

Very interesting. Always wanted to know about the acoustics. Thanks for the info. ,Paul
PaulJay
Billy
Billy

Postby Staemius » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:59 pm

Staemius
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby The Stag » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:17 am

would you happen to have any info on what pickups he used? or if he used a buffer in his acoustic? Thanks, Dan
Dan Jr
The Stag
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby BillyBrown1 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:29 pm

Thank Ya fellers glad ya dug the info :-) and as far as the electronics go im not real sure other than Alvarez used the system 400 and 500 acoustic/electric pickups around that time. You can tell by the tone that he's using a under saddle piezo pickup. As far as the signal path I have no idea. Theres def alot better setups out there today. If you want great acoustic tone go with a Neumann km 184 and a good pre.
BillyBrown1
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby cliftonschmidt » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:46 pm

HEADS UP! EBAY AUCTION ENDING IN FIVE DAYS!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALVAREZ-YAIRI-D ... 3375119544
cliftonschmidt
welcome
welcome

Postby Ratdog33 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:44 pm

Hello Everyone!!,
I own serial # 38060 Yairi DY99 made in 1992:
Some of the unusual specs.:
1.) Unbound fretboard and Headstock
2.) Imperial gold Grovers not standard Grovers
3.) Old growth Brazilian rosewood in bookmatched circular patterns and not straight grained.
4.) Beautifully aged Top with deep amber yellowing
5.) EMG equilized PA sound system pickup with no volume controls, however has a trim pot. inside on the neck block. Trim pot is for Equilization only.
6.) Sounds as good as an acoustic w/ pickup can sound
7.) Serial number is followed by TWO RED STARS
8.) Signed and dated on label
Ratdog33
welcome
welcome

Postby Poor Peter » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:27 am

Great job bro. Waldo should add this info to his page. I get confused everytime one of these pop up on ebay..Thanks for taking the time to sort it all out.
Poor Peter
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Ratdog33 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Hey Poor Peter,
These Specs are for only my DY99, I have seen others but they do not have all these specs.
This is the only one with the EMG PA Ready pick-up system with Trim Pot.
Also have only seen One other with Old Growth Circular Growth Rings in book matched Back of Guitar.
Best Regards,
Ratdog33
Ratdog33
welcome
welcome

Return to Guitar