Is anyone else using a Line 6 M13? Have question for ya ...

Is anyone else using a Line 6 M13? Have question for ya ...

Postby Jon S. » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:37 am

As I've posted here before, a year and a half ago or so, I replaced my painstakingly assembled pedalboard with a Line 6 M13 and never looked back. I've had wonderful luck and tone with mine and would be happy to share my "Jerry models" with any interested persons But for now, I have a question regarding an effect I just recently discovered (probably because it wasn't on the firmware version that came with my unit and that I relied on, for the most part, in creating my models), the Bass Octaver. It's a CLEAN sub-octave effect which layers one-octave down onto your fundamental tone. The tracking is quite decent, I'm very pleased with it. For leads, I'm finding I like following it with the Boost Comp module set with minimal compression/slight clean boost. These are my initial settings. Are others (if there are any others here with M13s!) using similar settings? If yes, please let me know, if not, how are you setting yours? Thanks.

Tone - 2/3
Normal - full up
Octave 3/4
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Re: Is anyone else using a Line 6 M13? Have question for ya

Postby Staemius » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:10 am

Cool - I love my m9. I like that Bass Octaver as well - I have the tone dialed back a little bit but otherwise have it set the same as you (I'll have to try the Boost Comp with it). Use a couple different phasers for Bobby stuff. I've recently enjoyed the Fuzz Pi for getting that dirty/fuzzy/ballsy Jerry tone for that lead going into Slipknot. I find I use the Tube Overdrive A LOT - it's not particularly Dead sounding but it sounds nice and thick with my guitar. I also really enjoy the envelope filter. I have had difficulty getting a good wah sound - I've primarily used the Colorful wah lately.
Staemius
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Jon S. » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:33 am

I'm on the run so have to be quick for now but will return later with more suggestions. However, here's the key to the M13's auto-wah sounding great - you MUST precede the Tron Up (Mu-Tron III model) with a compressor to even out the input signal and you have to be very careful in how you set the preceding compression because the Tron Up effect is HIGHLY input-sensitive. Try these for starters and let me know if you dig 'em:

First:

Second:

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby lunasparks » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:52 am

Jon, you helped me get off the ground with my Jerry settings for the M13 last year. Thanks again for that assistance!

I'm still using the box and it suits my needs pretty much. I use the Bass Octaver with similar settings, but I back off the normal setting to about 2/3rds. At full out, some of the notes get too squirrely for my tastes, so I just dial it back until it's better behaved. Wish I could help more, but I still don't think I've got this effect quite right, though, so would likewise be interested in suggested settings/improvements if others have them.
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby joeriz » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:13 am

My apologies if this is too far afield from the main topic of this thread but I have a (hopefully) quick question. I just picked up an M13 a few weeks ago (good deal on Craigslist) and I'm wondering what would be the easiest and cheapest way to update the firmware. I have no use for a midi interface other than for this purpose so I was wondering what the best approach might be.

Thanks,
Joe
joeriz
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Jon S. » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:59 am

I'm no computer savvy expert so I brought my unit to a friend who is to do the updating. HE found it easy, FWIW! He just followed the directions in the owners manual. The one trick was I had to buy a MIDI cable (at least I think that's what it was) to do it. It was cheap & I ordered on-line.

My take on the best Jerry lead tone - and I tried everything - is the Classic Distortion model. This is based on a Pro Co Rat. Do not use the Screamer (obvious what that's based on!) for Jerry though I keep one on my main scene for when I cover other stuff. Set the drive way down, the output way up, and season the rest to taste and you won't believe how sweet it sounds (nothing like the nasty Rat tones cranking the drive up gets you).

This pic is outdated - I've since lowered the bass and slightly raised the treble (not too high - it can get harsh) - but it can get you started.

Jon S.

Return to Jerry Tone