Just Snagged an MC-250 off of Ebay

Chat about Equipment Info

Just Snagged an MC-250 off of Ebay

Postby unnbrokenchain » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:07 pm

For a decent price too, $450 shipped. In working condition and everything. Can't wait to receive it and hook it up. Right now I connect each JBL individually to my power amp so that each side powers one speaker which I will continue to do. Question I have is how does everyone connect the preamp to the mac? In order to operate both sides, I'll have to have a y cable. Does anyone have suggestions on what type of connection to use? Do they even make audio/1" cables?
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Re: Just Snagged an MC-250 off of Ebay

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:21 pm

You don't have to have thick cables running from the preamp since it is not a high powered signal. Thick cables are traditionally for amp to speaker applications where you are running 1000's of watts. It works perfectly with a mono y-cable: mono 1/4" to 2 mono RCA's. I use the radio shack versions since they are readily available and inexpensive locally. Never have had an issue from them.

You can change the inputs on the mac to 1/4" or you can also buy a bunch of adapters, but you will still need a y cable to power individual speakers since the SMS is a mono out. I always liked the split amp situation per speaker, especially when I am mic'ing. You can actually control FOH and stage volume from your amp. Good find!!!
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Pete B. » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:28 pm

Nice score!
One way to make a Y cable real quick is to take a TRS cable and put a "Stereo to 1/4"" adapter (Radio Shack) on the TRS end. Now both ends of the Y are getting the same signal from the 1/4".
Then put 1/4" to RCA connectors on the Y ends.
Pete B.

Postby unnbrokenchain » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:31 pm

Pete B. wrote:Nice score!
One way to make a Y cable real quick is to take a TRS cable and put a "Stereo to 1/4"" adapter (Radio Shack) on the TRS end. Now both ends of the Y are getting the same signal from the 1/4".
Then put 1/4" to RCA connectors on the Y ends.

Thanks! This was my initial thought. I have an adapter already, but I wasn't sure if this would effect the signal at all. But, now I know it's safe!
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion