Rare Wolf Photo?

Rare Wolf Photo?

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:44 am

I found this magazine on a trip to LA last summer, I finally got around to taking some photos of the cover. So, take note of the neck pick up, it looks like maybe a Seymour Duncan? But, I'm not an expert. I haven't opened up the plastic yet (I also bought some lp's and the plastic was close to impossible to get off, so I'm a little afraid of damaging the magazine).

A close up

So in truth, another photo from this shoot exists and it might be on your book shelf. The author photo on the back inside flap in Blair Jackson's excellent book, Grateful Dead Gear features a photo of the author sharing a laugh and a cigarette with Jerry, and it's clearly from the same photo shoot.
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Re: Rare Wolf Photo?

Postby hogan » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:21 am

It's interesting that wolf is featured (at least in pictures) in an article from '81. I wonder what that oddball single coil is also. I didn't know blade style poles dated back that far.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby Pete B. » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:24 am

Just a guess... but that looks like a Bill Lawrence single coil blade pickup.
Pete B.

Postby Dwarf Rat » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:42 am

I was going to say Bill Lawrence as well. My buddy has three of them in his '62 Strat. Sounds magnificent.
Dwarf Rat
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby oldsmojo » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:07 am

Very cool!...that has to be a Bill Lawrence single coil...I know Jerry had used them since I remember asking Bill years ago about that. Bill may have even wound other pickups for Jerry...hasn't that come up before?..anyone remember? Either way his L280's would be a great choice ( and have been for several yahoo gearheads ) for any of you going for the REAL Jerry single coil tone!
oldsmojo
Donna
Donna

Postby oldsmojo » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:15 am

personally i like rail pickups and dislike staggered poles. I had some early Lawrence Humbuckers with the rails and didnt like em. I like the dimarzio rails better but am dying to try Fralin's new rails as they would probably have the most vintage vibe of the bunch. Sometimes the coolest pickups can be from stuff like Fender Squire and Danelectro and other underwound types. Microphonic pickups as well can be really cool if not too bad. You have to try em in your guitar and give em a run through your favorite amp in order to figure any of this out! Pickup talk can get old on the net.
oldsmojo
Donna
Donna

Postby broesau » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:09 pm

I thought that picture looked familiar. In the back of the GD Gear book there is a picture of Blair actually blowing the smoke towards Jerry as this picture was being taken.
broesau
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby wleeds » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:52 am

I think it is probably a BIll Lawrence.
Bill mentioned to me once that he had made some pickups for Jerry. Not specifically for him but some he used.
wleeds
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:59 pm

So it's unclear but fairly doubtful as to whether this pup was on Wolf for a performance. By '81, it seems that Wolf became Jerry's guitar for personal chops-practice time. There is another interview shot from '81 with Jerry holding Wolf at Lake Geneva, WI's Interlaken Resort (their preferred lodging for Alpine shows).
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:16 pm

tigerstrat wrote:So it's unclear but fairly doubtful as to whether this pup was on Wolf for a performance. By '81, it seems that Wolf became Jerry's guitar for personal chops-practice time. There is another interview shot from '81 with Jerry holding Wolf at Lake Geneva, WI's Interlaken Resort (their preferred lodging for Alpine shows).

as the hs-2 in wolf today, there is no stage played proof that Bill Lawrence pickups passed the Jerry test. same goes for L280 single coils for that matter, no matter what hype the builder may have tried to say otherwise.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby jeffm725 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:15 pm

waldo041 wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:So it's unclear but fairly doubtful as to whether this pup was on Wolf for a performance. By '81, it seems that Wolf became Jerry's guitar for personal chops-practice time. There is another interview shot from '81 with Jerry holding Wolf at Lake Geneva, WI's Interlaken Resort (their preferred lodging for Alpine shows).

as the hs-2 in wolf today, there is no stage played proof that Bill Lawrence pickups passed the Jerry test. same goes for L280 single coils for that matter, no matter what hype the builder may have tried to say otherwise.

peace,
waldo

Didnt Gary Brawer have like a shoebox full of different pickups that had been swapped in and out of Jer's guitars. All different kinds....IIRC didn't someone either here or on Gearheads bought a bunch of them off of Gary?
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Return to Jerry Tone