Bluesmaster problems

Chat about Equipment Info

Bluesmaster problems

Postby Counterstriker » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:42 pm

My blues master was blown about 2 months ago, I thought it was a the output transformer, problem is they don't make any this size, so the tech i gave it to said he can make one but it would be pricey, but he said before anything he took the 200 milliamp fuse and swapped it with a 300 just for kicks, and he said it started working, and he doesn't understand why.. All the readings he was getting said everything was working, but a simple changing of the fuse worked, the fuse that was in there was new, but the problem i think of is that the blues master is supposed to use a 200 fuse. What are the risks of using the 300?
Counterstriker

Re: Bluesmaster problems

Postby waldo041 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:24 pm

Counterstriker wrote: What are the risks of using the 300?

frying the transformer.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Counterstriker » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:38 pm

that's what I thought and was told by other people, but the tech who is fixing it told me that it "Shouldn't" under normal gig scenarios (2-3 hours operations) Hughes and Kettner no longer makes or knows anyone who makes the output transformer for the blues master.. So looks like i'm gonna have to go with the 300 amp fuse. I sent a message to JK on facebook asking him (he seems to know quite a bit on electronics as well) he keeps asking to buy mine off me as a backup :lol: thought it was pretty cool.. but he thinks using the 300 shouldn't be TOO bad.

I was wondering if anyone knew a tech that might be able to fix and or build a new output transformer on the H&K I have.
Counterstriker

Postby williamsaut » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:34 pm

Counterstriker wrote:that's what I thought and was told by other people, but the tech who is fixing it told me that it "Shouldn't" under normal gig scenarios (2-3 hours operations) Hughes and Kettner no longer makes or knows anyone who makes the output transformer for the blues master.. So looks like i'm gonna have to go with the 300 amp fuse. I sent a message to JK on facebook asking him (he seems to know quite a bit on electronics as well) he keeps asking to buy mine off me as a backup :lol: thought it was pretty cool.. but he thinks using the 300 shouldn't be TOO bad.

I was wondering if anyone knew a tech that might be able to fix and or build a new output transformer on the H&K I have.

I've just picked up a Blues master on Ebay after hearing some pretty sweet Jerry tone here on this site out of one of them. I found a pic of the guts of one before I pulled the trigger to make use it wasn't a junky rats nest design in there. ( it wasn't ). What I can't understand is if H&K won't build these anymore because the bean counters say unless they sell ten's of thousands they won't make any money ( I don't understand that since the R&D and design work is done ), Why hasn't someone reverse engineered one of these things and started putting them on Ebay? I mean I just dropped about $225 for mine and I'm sure folks would be willing to spend more on a NEW one. I've seen some Point to Point amps on Ebay go for big bucks. This is basically a 2watt tube amp in a box with tone stack and line out. Two tubes, two trannies and a bunch of wire is all I really saw in there. A nice solid plain Jane version of this would be pretty cool!
When the secrets all are told,
And the petals all unfold.
williamsaut
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Counterstriker » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:02 pm

the video was mine haha :smile: the "trannies" (lol) are very easy to overheat, even worse in a rack unit, downside of being so small, everything is so compact. Mines all working though, and after 5 hours of usage straight, it's fine and works great! Just if you keep it in a rack leave a few spaces above and at least 1 below free so it has some breathing room.
Counterstriker

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion