American standard Strat

American standard Strat

Postby PaulJay » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:07 pm

Hey Guys, I picked up a 2000 American Strat in nice condition for dirt cheap. I collect vintage Japan guitars and never was a big fender guitar fan. Does anyone use one stock and get some sort of Jerry tone without changing the pick-ups? I don't want to hack it up just in case I decide to sell it. Thanks Paul
PaulJay
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Re: American standard Strat

Postby strumminsix » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:10 pm

I'd be shocked if you couldn't cop some Aligator type tones with it!
strumminsix

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:17 pm

The American Standard is a damn fine guitar right out of the box. Should offer plenty of the right kind of tone if you pick it right and have the right amp rig setup.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby jeager » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:23 am

Start with the center pickup and a bright fender twin type sound with the bass rolled off and the treble jacked up and do what seems to work with mids. It was counter intuitive for me at first but seems to have gotten me close.
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby PaulJay » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:46 am

jeager wrote:Start with the center pickup and a bright fender twin type sound with the bass rolled off and the treble jacked up and do what seems to work with mids. It was counter intuitive for me at first but seems to have gotten me close.

Do you have the TBX tone control on yours and if you do where to you usually set it? Thanks.
PaulJay
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby jeager » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:40 am

I do have TBX on one guitar, I usually start with it in the middle and play around a little from there depending on the amp, room, band. I like the TBX...
Middle pickup and fender twin type sound gets you started down the path, then if you have GAS like me (gear acquisition syndrome) you start finding other parts of the equation. I just built a new strat from parts and included some of the elements of the late 70s and early 80s Garcia guitars. It works well...but its not very "forgiving" guitar sound...so responsive dynamically.

I think most of the guys here would agree that you can do well with a stock fender strat and the right kind of amplification and approach...
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:25 am

PaulJ-
congratulations on your find. I recently added a FCS strat to my collection, I bought it with the idea of doing some restoration on it and flipping it, but alas I'm smitten with this axe, and now can't bear to part with it or it's sweet twangy mojo. I realize that your original post was contingent on not changing out the pup's, however the Texas Specials that come in the SRV custom are super hot yet still very in the 'stock' ballpark, they sound fantastic and I bet would be right in the '72 wheel house.

That said I totally agree that just putting it in the middle position and twanging out through a nice clear fender amp will get you pretty much there, as well.

best of luck.
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Postby PaulJay » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:57 pm

Thanks Capt., I definetly love the alligator sound from 72. I am gonna checkout some you tube demos on these pick-ups you suggested. I also heard good things about 57/62 CS pick-ups. ,Paul
PaulJay
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Emoto » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:37 am

You can always buy another pickguard and use that for different pickups, if you want. They are not expensive. It would let you change back to the stock one with the original pickups if you ever sold it.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Return to Jerry Tone