My Search/Jerry Strat Pickups

Re: My Search/Jerry Strat Pickups

Postby strumminsix » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:06 am

When you guys talk about the hum are you hearing it at all times or just between songs?
strumminsix

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:38 am

I've been down the EMG road before, back in the early 90's and again later when they came out with those "vintage" styled ones. Just didn't love the tone, especially for Jerry sounds. Nice pickups, quiet, low-z active electronics so tone is retained at any volume, would work as an alternative to the separate buffer and would probably be great in an OBEL setup, but it just comes down to tone. I felt like there was an artificial sheen across the treble band, and the response just wasn't organic like a "normal" pickup. Didn't "feel" right to play with them. I bet they'd be kind of cool for certain eras of Weir tones though.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:39 am

waldo041 wrote:DC Resistance 5.8k - Alnico V

Fender Custom Shop 69's or
Fender Custom Shop Strat Abigail Ybarra Hand-Wound Pickups

peace,
waldo

I think Waldo answered the question. :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby joeriz » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:13 am

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:I've been down the EMG road before, back in the early 90's and again later when they came out with those "vintage" styled ones. Just didn't love the tone, especially for Jerry sounds. Nice pickups, quiet, low-z active electronics so tone is retained at any volume, would work as an alternative to the separate buffer and would probably be great in an OBEL setup, but it just comes down to tone. I felt like there was an artificial sheen across the treble band, and the response just wasn't organic like a "normal" pickup. Didn't "feel" right to play with them. I bet they'd be kind of cool for certain eras of Weir tones though.

B

Thanks, Brad. That's more or less what I've heard from others who have used EMG...not organic. Never having tried them myself I thought I would ask here.

Like the OP, I've been thinking about new pickups for my Strat. I have SDS-1's in there now which I like. However, I recently put a Super2 in the neck position of my Fender Showmaster and I have to say that, when split, there is no other sound like it. There is a clarity and the sense/feel of the attack of the note that is just different. There is also an almost 'chorusy' (not quite the right word but I'm reaching) or sense of depth to the tone that is very sweet. Any idea if something like the Fender Custom Shop '69s might get you close-to-there?

Joe
joeriz
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby rugger » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:18 pm

'69s are the tits, imo. I have them in two strats and the tone is very clear with a very nice top end. In fact, I find it hard to play my pearly gates (humbuckers) loaded Artist because it sounds like a blanket is draped over the sound. I was testing out some amps with one of these strats at my local mom & pop. The proprietor, who has a good set of ears, asked, "What are those pickups? Don't change them!"

Good luck with the chase.

John in San Diego
rugger
Phil
Phil

Postby PaulJay » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:50 pm

I heard good things about the GFS pick-ups. These might fit the bill . They are reasonably priced too. ,Paul http://www.guitarfetish.com/1960s-Repro ... _p_11.html
PaulJay
Billy
Billy

Postby jeffm725 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:18 pm

I have GFS 70's Grey Bottoms in My Poor man's gator and they do a decent job.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby jeager » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:20 pm

As much as I respect Jason Lollar and his wisdom, I must agree that the Jerry strat pickups were most likely Alnico V and not Alnico II.

B

I noticed that (alnico II vs alnico V), and i know this started out as a Jerry strat pup thread but I think the super IIs are ceramic magnets (different tone/gtr of course) I figure there are so many other variables involved anyway. I did talk with the Lollar folks and was very impressed with the level of attention and the demos I heard, so I am going to give them a shot. Jason did mention he had seen Jerry play a number of times in the 70's and in 81 and obviously had some understanding of the tone i was after.

I am not after an exact clone of any particular Jerry tone, but merely a really good tone that is in the ball park and feels right to me. I am pretty much already there with the CTP/JBL rig you turned me on to...also doing some un-Jerry things with this guitar...using a blender pot for getting the neck and bridge pups together...sort of an adjustable tele option...
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby vwjodyme » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:53 pm

do strat pick-ups have any way to tell what they are? Like if i popped the pick gaurd off is there any way to identify? i bought a used mim one for my gf a couple of years ago and the dude said he changed out the pups and tremolo, and this thread got me wondering what they were.

*edit*
found my answer. newer pups are stamped with company and model number underneath. Vintage ones don't have anything written so you have to get something to measure their output and compare it to the charts on fender's site.
I doubt mine are vintage so hopefully there is a stamp under them.
Last edited by vwjodyme on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
vwjodyme

Postby strumminsix » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:27 am

strumminsix wrote:When you guys talk about the hum are you hearing it at all times or just between songs?

Yeah, I'm quoting myself, but what I'm saying hinges off this.....

For those experiencing some hum and buzz I'd recommend you think about when it happens. I've mostly experienced it between songs and with my hands off the guitar. Sure, some stages are just noisy. But rarely, can't really remember when, have I heard it when playing.

Part of the magic on alot of those early Strat and Tele recordings were these old, noisy pickups ;)

If you only experience it between songs, just roll of your volume between tunes.
strumminsix

Postby jeager » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:44 am

Yea i have decided to give good old fashion pups a try. Not the best Jerry clone apparently but that's ok. Every strat I have ever had came with some sort of hum canceling design, I guess I want to find out what I am missing after all these years.

Ordered a set of the Lollar Blond model to go in my new project which will also have Waldo's preamp, a blender pot and hopefully an OBEL if I can figure out how to make it all work.
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby wleeds » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:07 pm

I've been playing a friends Nash strat with Lollar Blondes in it and I find the 57/62 and Suhr FL's sound closer to the early 70's stat tone. The Lollar's are nice though more ...spanky(?) and mid scooped then the others I mention.
wleeds
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby Utah Joe » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:31 pm

I've played a '73 Strat for a number of years. The tone is excellent but I've always been bothered by the hum it generates, even in controlled environments. I installed copper shielding which did seem to help but the remaining noise is just inheret to the old single coil design. Suhr manufactures a backplate for Strats that acts as a RWRP coil.

http://www.suhrguitars.com/pickups.aspx#bpssc

"The BPSSC eliminates the noise while completely retaining the sonic character of pure single-coil pickups. The noise is gone but the sparkle, the chime, and the low-end response that you've come to love in single-coil pickups are all still there for you to enjoy and savor. The BPSSC is easy to install and does not need any additional modifications to your guitar. Remove the current backplate on your guitar, solder the wires coming out of the BPSSC with the electronics on your guitar following the included instructions, screw the BPSSC on the back of your guitar and you're ready for great pure single-coil tone without the noise!"

At around $259 the BPSSC is a little pricey. Lindy Fralin thinks very highly of this product, so much so that he is now selling his own version: http://www.fralinpickups.com/bpncs.asp. The Fralin device goes for $200 so it's probably a better deal. I haven't bought it yet but the reviews are promising.
Utah Joe
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:29 pm

I have put DiMarzio Area 58's in the middle and neck of a chinese strat (Austin), descent guitar, actually, with an Area 61 in the bridge. They are hot, but not super hot, and I dig the tone. Noiseless is great, too. I also have Kinman MK IIs in a Highway One Strat. Really like these better, maybe it's because they are in a nicer guitar. Again, the noiseless thing is a little weird, but man is it nice not having all the noise, and the tone is great out of both of these sets of pups. No mistaking that classic strat tone out of either one of these sets of pups. In general, the Kinman MK IIs are more vintage wound and not as hot. I highly recommend these, but they are expensive. I think P90s have to be the noisiest pups out there, and i would like to try them, but don't want the noise. They sound sweet, though.
like waves against the bandstand dancers broke
GeneralGoldilocks
Keith
Keith

Postby claytushaywood » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:24 pm

I finally decided on a set of pickups for my strat. went with the alnico 5- 5.8k 42guage formvar wire recommendation. found a set with 5.8k neck and mid with a hotter 6.2k bridge for balance with D. Allen's Voodoo Set. Wish i woulda found them sooner as he had a budget version for $100 (that from what i've read blows away the cs 69's in terms of balance and noise level) ended up with his CS voodoo 69's. all the reviews on these things are that they are dead quiet and amazing sounding for the price of $160 new and the best customer service i've ever experienced. just received em and havent hooked em up yet but ill report back very soon... there's some good demo's online but most people buy these for Hendrix stuff. i found this review very cool and an awesome new (at least to me) approach to demo'ing pickups. straight to hard disk
(dude says he sends cream pup covers, but he'll send like 4 different colors of covers and a full pickguard option all customizable)

claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone