Mc2300 Peak Limiter Theory - REVISITED

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Mc2300 Peak Limiter Theory - REVISITED

Postby hawk900 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:34 pm

Here's the tone of my pal Mik running dimarzio dp 104's in single coil mode in phase(midle flipped) to stay in phase with the neck magnetically. This runs from an custom guitar using the strtocaster eg.cb1 into an untouched Black face tone stack(jer's_ pre amped out to an unmodded MC2100(same specs as fACtory untouched mc2300) .The MC2100 in (jer's) spits out 240/chnl watts into a 300watt jbl e-120 8ohm 2 stack..
Listen Listen to this tone especially the low notes. All unmodded except the stratoblaster unity gain buffer with stops guitar feedback and uses a buffer to store the original pickup strenth and keeps it the same level through all jer's FX. cable loop and crazy length. I have a stratoblaster and a jangletone both unity gain buffers but the jangle does touch tone wich I've jercutomed an SG. Just listen to the above mentioned setup and tone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hzdD0SA0M0 the GarciaProject.

my sg pics and cabinet with e120:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hawk
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby hawk900 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:40 pm

I run the same pickups ,tone res.,caps and stratoblaster into a vintage black face tone stack except mine goes throught the fender power supply. I there any other stand alone amps that have have similar specs and or parts like a McIntosh?
I can't land one in BF Canada.
Thanks,
hawk.
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby waldo041 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:55 am

hawk900 wrote:Here's the tone of my pal Mik running dimarzio dp 104's in single coil mode in phase(midle flipped) to stay in phase with the neck magnetically. This runs from an custom guitar using the strtocaster eg.cb1 into an untouched Black face tone stack(jer's_ pre amped out to an unmodded MC2100(same specs as fACtory untouched mc2300) .The MC2100 in (jer's) spits out 240/chnl watts into a 300watt jbl e-120 8ohm 2 stack..
Listen Listen to this tone especially the low notes. All unmodded except the stratoblaster unity gain buffer with stops guitar feedback and uses a buffer to store the original pickup strenth and keeps it the same level through all jer's FX. cable loop and crazy length. I have a stratoblaster and a jangletone both unity gain buffers but the jangle does touch tone wich I've jercutomed an SG. Just listen to the above mentioned setup and tone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hzdD0SA0M0 the GarciaProject.
hawk

i understand your enthusiasm as to the awesome tone he is getting, it is pretty spot on, but there are definately some mods to the blackface and he does not use the cae sound preamp.

viewtopic.php?f=419&t=10873&hilit=+finally+happy+with#p101834

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby hawk900 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:36 am

Yes blackface mods 1 intercepts the signal right after it leaves the tone stack to create a blackface preamp 1/4 jack to the MC2300 amp. He also changed all his Fender pots and used .022uf caps on his BASS and MID and a less than 300pf cap on his treble pot. Removed the 68k res. that creates hiss plus several other mods through the years. At one point he used both vibrato jacks linked by a switch so that he could send the reverb sound only to one channel. He also did some 2300 mods to the sentry monitor if serves me correct. I can see removing the power guard but the sentry monitor is a great invention that keeps all currents balanced and level at all times.
Youre right jer never used the jangle tone or the cb-1. The cb-1 is close but not quite . I built a replica of the original alembic stratoblaster with no adj. gain. It is set at 6db gain and a 9v battery lasts around 120 hours. I did buy a cb-1 from general guitar and it never fired up and even used a brand new duracell lol. I'm not a complainer so I didnt bring it up with them. It's not on my end. I'm head repair tech at a stereo/tv store in my town and have been soldering goin on 20+ years now.
Anyway having a grate time and will be installing a midi sensor too.
hawk
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby waldo041 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:19 pm

hawk900 wrote:Yes blackface mods 1 intercepts the signal right after it leaves the tone stack to create a blackface preamp 1/4 jack to the MC2300 amp. He also changed all his Fender pots and used .022uf caps on his BASS and MID and a less than 300pf cap on his treble pot. Removed the 68k res. that creates hiss plus several other mods through the years. At one point he used both vibrato jacks linked by a switch so that he could send the reverb sound only to one channel. He also did some 2300 mods to the sentry monitor if serves me correct. I can see removing the power guard but the sentry monitor is a great invention that keeps all currents balanced and level at all times.
Youre right jer never used the jangle tone or the cb-1. The cb-1 is close but not quite . I built a replica of the original alembic stratoblaster with no adj. gain. It is set at 6db gain and a 9v battery lasts around 120 hours. I did buy a cb-1 from general guitar and it never fired up and even used a brand new duracell lol. I'm not a complainer so I didnt bring it up with them. It's not on my end. I'm head repair tech at a stereo/tv store in my town and have been soldering goin on 20+ years now.
Anyway having a grate time and will be installing a midi sensor too.
hawk

i helped Mik with his rig!
check this website out it may help you in your quest as well!
http://www.wald-electronics.com/

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby hawk900 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:37 am

Ya I love Mik's tone the best yet out of any jerryist I've heard out there. Great job waldo041
hawk
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion