bad tone pot?

bad tone pot?

Postby Counterstriker » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:40 am

finally wired my carvin up and it sounded great! was loving the tones, but a little to high for my liking so I tried rolling the tone back but nothing.. I figured it was soemthing small so I looked at it and resoldered the cap to the other common on the 5 way (the one with the wire for the buffer) and now instead of being high it's extrememly dead sounding. like as if the tone is rolled all the way down.. But yet the knob doesn't do anything when turned. does this sound like a bad tone knob or like I wired something wrong?
Counterstriker

Re: bad tone pot?

Postby waldo041 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:50 pm

Counterstriker wrote:finally wired my carvin up and it sounded great! was loving the tones, but a little to high for my liking so I tried rolling the tone back but nothing.. I figured it was soemthing small so I looked at it and resoldered the cap to the other common on the 5 way (the one with the wire for the buffer) and now instead of being high it's extrememly dead sounding. like as if the tone is rolled all the way down.. But yet the knob doesn't do anything when turned. does this sound like a bad tone knob or like I wired something wrong?

if it is the rolled back tone normally associated with jerry's tone control setup, then i would say your pot is bad. this tone is achieved when the resistance is at or near zero and the pickup inductance only sees the capacitance causing a shift in the resonant peak. so if it is that tone, i think your only seeing the capacitor.

how is your 5 way wired?

~mike
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Counterstriker » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:33 pm

It's weird.. If I have the tone pot soldered to the common on the opposite side of everything else then I get the tone as if the tone is 100% but if I have the tone to the common on the side of everything along with the blue wire for the buffer I get the really bassy tone as if my tone was rolled all the back like you said.

The tone pot doesn't seem to make any difference, don't even hear a scratching..

I have the cap soldered to the middle lug of of the tone, the other one is to ground, and the other is open.

I won't know why the tone is either very high and bright, or very bassy with the highs cut depending on which common I solder to.
Counterstriker

Postby waldo041 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:00 pm

how is your 5 way wired?

all the pickups on the one side/set of lugs and the common out to the TPC1?

this would make sense, because when you use the other common you are not connecting the tone control to any pickups because there is nothing on that set of lugs so the common is nothing, ie... you will get an all the way on with no achievable tone adjustment. but when you tie the tone control to the correct common on the side the pickups and TPC1 are wired, then you get an all the way rolled off tone, because the pickups are ONLY seeing the capacitance because the tone pot is defective and giving NO resistance.

is the tone pot correctly grounded?

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Counterstriker » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:08 pm

Looks like I have a bad tone pot, it was a mini I bought off guitar electronics, I emailed them about it, I though I was buying an alpha but it turned out to be a cheaper version so they'll send me out the right one I ordered. It felt kind cheap and made a rubbing sound when turned (not through amp, but the actual pot)

Thanks alot! Gonna swap the pots and see how that goes!
Counterstriker

Return to Guitar Building and Mods