Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby mijknahs » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:05 pm

jmfranc wrote:One question - how close should the pickups be to the strings? I hear some odd pitch changes when I tune and wondering if the pickups are a bit close.

I'd say about 2mm (an Adamas pick's thickness) away from the strings when you press down on the last fret.

Jim
mijknahs

Postby Bikephreak » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:34 am

This is my guitar I made back in the 1980s. Inspired by both the Tiger & the Wolf, but not trying to duplicate either. All recycled materials. Simple configuration & controls: volume, tone, on/off for each pickup.
Bikephreak
rukind?
rukind?

Postby Staemius » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:44 am

^I love that guitar. I have a saved picture of that one - I think you posted it on the Alembic forum awhile back. Gorgeous.
Staemius
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby strumminsix » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:22 am

mijknahs wrote:
jmfranc wrote:One question - how close should the pickups be to the strings? I hear some odd pitch changes when I tune and wondering if the pickups are a bit close.

I'd say about 2mm (an Adamas pick's thickness) away from the strings when you press down on the last fret.

Jim

jmfranc your strings are way too close. You should be able to fret the last fret and hit the strings without causing any pitch changes.
strumminsix

Postby Jon S. » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:10 am

Bikephreak wrote:Image

This is my guitar I made back in the 1980s. Inspired by both the Tiger & the Wolf, but not trying to duplicate either. All recycled materials. Simple configuration & controls: volume, tone, on/off for each pickup.

Now this is cool! :D
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby bstormwind » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:27 pm

I am but a simple man, with simple tastes.....until I can afford a Moriarty Wolf that is....

Hardtail parts strat - Robert Cray body, '57 re-issue neck, stock '57 re-issue pickups, alembic blaster, Glendale bridge assembly and brass saddles.

IMG00233-20110224-1844_2.JPG
IMG00233-20110224-1844_2.JPG (221.22 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
Last edited by bstormwind on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
bstormwind
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby mijknahs » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:09 pm

jmfranc wrote: I hear some odd pitch changes when I tune and wondering if the pickups are a bit close.

The odd pitch changes when you tune are most likely the strings binding on the nut. Try putting some powdered graphite (from a pencil) in the strings slots of the nut.
mijknahs

Postby Phil Lesh101 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:41 am

:hail: Rusty The Scoob Always wins
"I didn't ask them to misspell anything to prove their authenticity, but I believe they're legit." ~ Rusty The Scoob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9EGVZio2M
https://archive.org/details/DA2013-10-19
Phil Lesh101

Postby tcsned » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:05 pm

Here's the first good pic of my new guitar in action. I either bent the jack for the OBEL or f***ed up the cable the other day and can't find my soldering iron. I've been really loving it. It's got the OBEL and Waldo's buffer but the top is redwood and the pickups are Duncans. I've been loving it - it's got great edge to it (except last night when I left the speaker simulator on my Lexicon on all night - thought something sounded funny). It gives me a pretty decent Jerry tone but the redwood top and the Duncans give it something different . . . not to mention the difference due to the jackass playing it :roll:

A lot of rukinders have contributed to my guitar/rig - thanks to Brad and Waldo (for their awesome toys) and everyone else who has shared their ideas on this message board!!!

I love the Elvis pic in the background
tcsned

Postby joethepainter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:07 pm

ImageHey All...I recently completed this Garcia/Strat project, with a lotta help! Its my first, and came in under 400...not inc. guitar, a '98 Fender Player's Strat. A nice one, at that. 3 Super 2's, master coil tap on neck and mid, bridge always hum, Waldo's buffer, and obel...in short, badass! Thanks to Counterstriker (aka Steve) for the wiring and insights as to exactly what does what...and thanks to all who helped Steve during this, namely Mike W and Brad S...its basically the same setup as his ongoing Carvin project...you guys are just so cool, I can't say enough good things...deep knowledge, and willing to share like this?? Can't beat that... also to AO Guitars, not only does the cable rock, but Andrew's remote troubleshooting (via phone and email) was just above and beyond! Also to Grant (I think), who posted the link to loop-master pedals...fuckin A!! Truly, this site is the killa...just gotta poke around :D
Hopefully, this is a link to more photos:
http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg11 ... rrycaster/
joethepainter
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby studied_4_acid_test » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:58 pm

joethepainter wrote:ImageHey All...I recently completed this Garcia/Strat project, with a lotta help! Its my first, and came in under 400...not inc. guitar, a '98 Fender Player's Strat. A nice one, at that. 3 Super 2's, master coil tap on neck and mid, bridge always hum, Waldo's buffer, and obel...in short, badass! Thanks to Counterstriker (aka Steve) for the wiring and insights as to exactly what does what...and thanks to all who helped Steve during this, namely Mike W and Brad S...its basically the same setup as his ongoing Carvin project...you guys are just so cool, I can't say enough good things...deep knowledge, and willing to share like this?? Can't beat that... also to AO Guitars, not only does the cable rock, but Andrew's remote troubleshooting (via phone and email) was just above and beyond! Also to Grant (I think), who posted the link to loop-master pedals...fuckin A!! Truly, this site is the killa...just gotta poke around :D
Hopefully, this is a link to more photos:
http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg11 ... rrycaster/

Funny, this is exactly how I had done my strat too - using where the jack plate would be for the p'up switches. It makes it easier to get to, as opposed to burying them randomly on the pickguard.
studied_4_acid_test
tiger
tiger

Postby joethepainter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:02 pm

Heh...good idea for the switches...it's all good, tho, as they're not randomly placed...they fall intuitively under my fingers, almost like it was planned... :-)
joethepainter
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby WildEye » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:20 pm

Nice... It's tough to see with the lighting but it looks like your switches are on the pick-guard and I think I see two. Is each for the coil cut or is one coil cut for both pups and on a obel bypass? I hope to post my own "inspired" strat in a month or so (same style pick-gaurd)...
WildEye
Mickey
Mickey

Postby paulinnc » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:23 pm

Looks very nice, I like the tortoise jack plate, clever.
paulinnc

Postby Counterstriker » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:56 pm

I was going to use a piece of metal I had but it wouldnt grind right on the bench grinder, It was a weird mix of metals I think so it bended more then grinding away. I remembered brad's 1st mattsoncaster so I stole his idea :-) I filed a tiny bit to much on the one side but it's not very noticeable! Glad you like it though Joe!
Counterstriker

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion