"Scored" an mc250 for 325.00

"Scored" an mc250 for 325.00

Postby Kennay » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:54 am

But....the thing was filthy. And rusty. I washed it with Crown multi-purpose cleaner and soldered an AC outlet onto it. Plugged it in and let her rip. The thing actually works. Bridged and mono. Now it`s off to the shop for elecrolytics and input board cap replacement. Hoping my amp tech can figure it out. I`m going to tell him to leave the 2 big GE cans alone because those usually hold up. Leave the 2 smaller cans attached and just dissconect them from the inside. Whatever needs to be in there is much much smaller today and can be attached right outside cans. That`s keeping in mind that the can closest to the front is a single and for negative supply.
Also going to use poly film type caps for 2 10uF caps on input board. Going to use 2.2uF instead of 10uF. I know all this of course because I am so smart. And I printed out the page of what Brad did for Tracy`s amp. Is there anything else I need to know? Anyone know where to find a schem for a 250? Can I play through this thing for now without frying it? Maybe gig with it next Sat?
Kennay
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Re: "Scored" an mc250 for 325.00

Postby Kennay » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:28 am

Oh! I forgot to mention the 2 cans of Radio Shack no residue electronics dust cleaner I went through. But also that this thing sounds "the balls"!
Amazing tone. Who cares if it looks like hell with all the rust. All I`m interested in is tone. And it delivers in spades!
Kennay
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:35 am

Awesome score !
Good luck
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Kennay » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:34 am

Thanks TJ! I`m a little bummed right now because everytime I use it bridged mono it works for about 10 minutes then it clicks and the power goes off.
I know it`s probably the fuse but what else? I have an mc50 but I need a little more volume for some gigs with a band I sit in with that can get silly
loud. So I got this one to bridge it.
BTW...As long as I`m going up to see my tech are there any inexpensive things I should have him do to the mc50? The thing is minty fresh on the outside.
Actually looks brand new but the rusty old 250 seems to be a bit clearer and seems to cut better.
As always thanks in advance for any help or advice!
Kennay
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Kennay » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:34 pm

Wonder what time it is in Missouri? Maybe I`ll take a plane out. One suitcase with a McIntosh in it.
Do you think I`ll be able to put it in the overhead compartment? You folks training squirrels out there?
Looks like someone got a pantload in the boxseats!
Kennay
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby waldo041 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:41 am

Kennay wrote:Thanks TJ! I`m a little bummed right now because everytime I use it bridged mono it works for about 10 minutes then it clicks and the power goes off.
I know it`s probably the fuse but what else? I have an mc50 but I need a little more volume for some gigs with a band I sit in with that can get silly
loud. So I got this one to bridge it.
BTW...As long as I`m going up to see my tech are there any inexpensive things I should have him do to the mc50? The thing is minty fresh on the outside.
Actually looks brand new but the rusty old 250 seems to be a bit clearer and seems to cut better.
As always thanks in advance for any help or advice!

you need to have the tech recap the electrolytics in both. the fuse is blowing in the mc250 because the voltages are off. once you get them reconditioned and back to spec's , sell them both and use the cash to get the mc2100 or mc2105! you won't have any volume issues with one of those.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Kennay » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:00 am

Thank you Waldo. I`ll probably keep these but will eventually get a 2100 or 2105 too. Guess I`m going to have a McIntosh collection.
Kennay
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Return to Jerry Tone