Middle Super 2 direction?

Re: Middle Super 2 direction?

Postby mijknahs » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:01 pm

Counterstriker wrote:Hey Jim, I have a On/On/On switch that I'm thinking of putting to use when I wire my carvin up this weekend, I'm low on cavity space so I can only have on 2 switches on the guitar (one Master tap for neck and middle only) and the FX loop. But can you wire 2 humbuckers up to one On/on/on switch so you can select the coils?

This might help. You should be able to get both coils and series humbucking:

http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/f ... srcoil.pdf
mijknahs

Postby WildEye » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:07 pm

And here's another site that's been a help to me and has the diagrams

http://www.1728.org/guitar7.htm
WildEye
Mickey
Mickey

Postby mijknahs » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:03 pm

WildEye wrote:And here's another site that's been a help to me and has the diagrams

http://www.1728.org/guitar7.htm

That one is great.
mijknahs

Postby mijknahs » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Does anyone know if I can wire my DPDT(on/on) switch that I currently have wired for "series/split" to "parallel/split"?

I just want parallel and split coil (no series). I know I can do it with an on/on/on switch and get all three but I just want parallel and split with a two position switch.
mijknahs

Postby drewfx » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:01 am

Counterstriker wrote:Hey Jim, I have a On/On/On switch that I'm thinking of putting to use when I wire my carvin up this weekend, I'm low on cavity space so I can only have on 2 switches on the guitar (one Master tap for neck and middle only) and the FX loop. But can you wire 2 humbuckers up to one On/on/on switch so you can select the coils?

You use an on/off/on to choose either coil or series HB for both PU's:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/support/schematics/prails_wiring.pdf
drewfx
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:27 pm

drewfx wrote:

You use an on/off/on to choose either coil or series HB for both PU's:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/support/schematics/prails_wiring.pdf

I'm not totally sure it matters in this application, but don't forget that the Super II wiring color code is different than Duncan. :smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby waldo041 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:56 pm

mijknahs wrote:Does anyone know if I can wire my DPDT(on/on) switch that I currently have wired for "series/split" to "parallel/split"?

I just want parallel and split coil (no series). I know I can do it with an on/on/on switch and get all three but I just want parallel and split with a two position switch.

yes jim, just wire it exactly the same as you see the on/on/on switch where you get a three. with the on/on wired like the on/on/on gives you a parallel/series switch.

no sir, each pickup will require it's own switch.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby mijknahs » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:19 pm

waldo041 wrote:
mijknahs wrote:Does anyone know if I can wire my DPDT(on/on) switch that I currently have wired for "series/split" to "parallel/split"?

yes jim, just wire it exactly the same as you see the on/on/on switch where you get a three. with the on/on wired like the on/on/on gives you a parallel/series switch.

peace,
waldo

Thanks Mike but I was looking to see if I could get a "parallel/split" switch rather than a "parallel/series" switch. I mostly would use the pickup as a single coil but sometimes I need hum cancelling (espcially at venues with lights on dimmer switches) but I don't want the series sound. Parallel is closer to the single coil sound. Maybe the easiest way is to just use an on/on/on switch and wire it for series/split/parallel? I just thought it would be cool not to change the switch.

Jim
mijknahs

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:33 pm

http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/f%20...%20srcoil.pdf

So wiring this way gives you either coil individually, or "series" (normal??) humbucker? Series being as if you had no coil cuts at all?

Great information, thanks guys!
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby mijknahs » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:45 pm

TI4-1009 wrote:http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/f%20...%20srcoil.pdf

So wiring this way gives you either coil individually, or "series" (normal??) humbucker? Series being as if you had no coil cuts at all?

Great information, thanks guys!

Yes and yes.
mijknahs

Postby williamsaut » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:22 pm

mijknahs wrote:You could wire your coil cut switch so that it flips which coil is tapped. Then you can try the top upper coil or the bottom coil. I did that for a while since I never used the humbucker setting. I definitely like the upper (neck side) coil the best. Now I have the switch set to coil tap/humbucker again.

Jim

Yes, Mine has the coil taps for either or single coil only for middle and Bridge and Humbucker only in the neck ( with no tone control like a real strat ) and I think the upper ( closest to the neck ) side of the middle Super II sounds most like the tone I'm after although if I go for the upper Bridge and Lower Middle I can get a nice country tone out of it. The rhythm player in the country band I'm in uses a Tele and My Tiger copy can really hold it's ground in the twang dept using the bridge pickup ( super III ).

peace
When the secrets all are told,
And the petals all unfold.
williamsaut
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone